OtakuBoards

What Martial Arts Are You Into?

chibi-master

Okay, there have probably been a million of threads like this, but I'm curious. If you practice martial arts, what kind do you practice? I started karate a couple months ago and I love it! I'm studying the style 'Isshin-Ryu'. I'm not sure how to describe it at all really...sorry. But I can tell you that it is GREAT!!! So share your martial arts preferences and maybe even some interesting stories or acheivements!:animesmil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Whoa !!!! Well, I don't really know [I]exactly[/I], but I kinda want to learn Tae-Kwon-Do. Why? Well I have this video game called Tekken, there's this totally awesome character named Hwoarang who's martial art happens to be.......well, Tae-Kwon-Do! Anyway, it just looks cool. And Hwoarang [I]is[/I] cool........:love2:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Whoa !!!! Well, I don't really know [I]exactly[/I], but I kinda want to learn Tae-Kwon-Do.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I thought about learning Tae-Kwon-Do for a while too. But I decided against it for 2 reasons. 1.) My Dad took Karate as a kid and from what he said about it, I was very interested. 2.) You can't always use flashy foot tecniques on the streets in up-close combat. Karate covers up-close [I]and[/I] farther-away tecniques that would be useful in many situations.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I did tae kwon do for 9 years. I started when i started kindergarten and stopped when i started highschool.

I know exactly the Tekken character you're talking about! He was my favorite! Partially because he did tae kwon do. I once took a tae kwon do class while anoter karate class was going. I gotta be honest with ya, tae kwon looked like more fun. The karate guys just kept going over forms and running drills while we were sparring and doing weird exercises.

I'm actually planning on starting a new martial art soon. I don't know what's offered by my college's rec center so i don't yet know which one i'll choose, but i was planning on going down there monday to look into it. I'm pretty excited about it. [/FONT]

[quote name='The13thMan'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I'm actually planning on starting a new martial art soon. I don't know what's offered by my college's rec center so i don't yet know which one i'll choose, but i was planning on going down there monday to look into it. I'm pretty excited about it. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

WOW! Well, good luck finding a form of martial arts to enjoy while you slave away in college!:animesmil

[quote name='chibi-master']WOW! Well, good luck finding a form of martial arts to enjoy while you slave away in college!:animesmil[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I was thinking about learning the one that Spike from Cowboy Bebop does. But... that seems a little silly to me - picking a martial arts because of an anime. That sounds like something one of my friends would do, and i'm better than them. Hah.[/FONT]

[size=1]I just started Korean Kickboxing a month ago and, although it's quite a shock to my body after not having done much physical recently, I think it's great!

It's basically a combination of Tae Kwon Doe and Boxing. We practice the standard TKD patterns while mixing it up with boxing training techniques and it really takes it outta me. Gonna be going for a grading in October to get my first belt (I are teh n00b) which is already getting me nervous. I really hate doing things in front of people, which is one of the reasons I took it up I guess.[/size]

I took a martial arts called Vovinam in high school for two years. It was pretty cool, and I liked the fact that it was all about killing your opponent. lol. Really, though. The martial art was basically geared to hurt the person in the most efficient way.

I then took Tae Kwon Do in college for a semester. That was pretty fun as well, but I didn't want to go through the whole earning belts ordeal. Plus, the motivation to practice wasn't so great in me.

Love kicking techniques. However, I've acquired a foot inflamation recently due to my anatomy-- a sharp bone on the ball of my foot which requires me to take it easy on my feet. I would like to take up martial arts again (and basic things like running!) but it may take a toll on my feet. =*(. I've observed a karate performance before and noticed lots of hand techniques. Are there any martial arts out there that is more about the hands than kicking?

[size=1]I'm into kicking, biting, headbutting and playing dirty.

I did Tae Kwon Do for a long long time when I was a wee one, but I gave it up because going up a belt cost damn loads. I didn't have to fight too much until I started going out a lot and met a load of idiots - violence doesn't solve anything, except the problem with the inbred rat who thinks he's amazing after watching one round of cage boxing. Tae Kwon Do taught me the basics, really.

I don't care for any kind of honour because that's just silly. If a guy attacks me and he ends up on the ground if I hit him back, [i]of course[/i] I'm not going to let him up. If someone tries to mug me then [i]of course[/i] I'm going to knee him in the groin and try and pull his hair out. They're not interested in playing nice, so I ain't either.

Plus I have a mean bite that's better than my punch =3.[/size]

Well when I was younger, probably around 7 through 9 years old I took Judo. It was pretty fun, but it was also boring because I'm a rather small person, and although Judo works with using the opponent's weight against them, back then I wasn't very strong anyway. As for new stuff, I'm really interested in Krav Maga, the style that was used by the Israeli army, not sure if it is still. Also Filipino Kali looks awesome with all the fast-paced and violent moves.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Well, I'll be. I love this thread already. I'm with Ace on the Shudokan Karate-do bit. In fact, I'm one of the Black Belts testing Ace here in four days.[SIZE="1"] That's right Ace, I won't be there for the pre-test.[/SIZE]

I have been training in Karate for close to nine years now. And I have to say, its probably the only thing in life that still brings me joy. I love my particular brand of Karate because, unlike Tae Kwon Do (which I loved, by the way), it trains us to use our hands more than our feet. I, like Ace, also specialize in kicking techniques.

I also train in Aikido periodically, although I'm not sure what style specifically. I'm also an unskilled practitioner of Nakamura-Ryu kenjutsu. I'm so bad, I still don't even hold a Kyu. [/FONT]

[quote name='visualkei'] I've observed a karate performance before and noticed lots of hand techniques. Are there any martial arts out there that is more about the hands than kicking?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Yes there are; Goju, Aikido, and certain forms of Kung-Fu are examples of martial arts that focus more on hands than feet. Also boxing, if you consider that a martial art. Some don't[/FONT]

[quote name='visualkei']I took a martial arts called Vovinam in high school for two years. It was pretty cool, and I liked the fact that it was all about killing your opponent. lol. Really, though. The martial art was basically geared to hurt the person in the most efficient way.[/QUOTE]

Sounds nice! Maybe I'll try it one of these days...

And Vicky, you just plain ROCK, girl. That's all there is to it. Teach me in the way your mind works...

[SIZE="1"]I know I've said this before. XD

I do Taekwondo and Muay Thai kickboxing. I also do ground fighting, but not much recently. I've been doing Taekwondo for four years, and achieved my black belt last September. The Muay Thai kickboxing I've been doing for I think three years or so. All my the same instructor, diffrent classes however. I'm there five days a week for usually three classes a night, except Weds. and friday when I do two classes.

I love Taekwondo because it focuses so much on the feet, I enjoy kicking people in the head and spinning around. I've been helping out with the teaching aswell, for the past year and a half or so. I've considered a career in TKD, however I've realized I prefer the training over the actual teaching, lol.

I also love my Muay Thai kickboxing. This is hands, feet(low and high kicks), knees, and elbows. We don't train the elbows as much as the knees however. Lately I've been doing more sparring in this than TKD, so when I revert back to TKD style; which is no hands to the face, no shin kicks(low kick), and no knees, it gets a little confusing. Recently I sparred TKD and punched him in the face twice on accident out of habit, lol. It really messes with your mind.

I've done a few local TKD tournments with sparring and forms, and had my first real Muay Thai competition in Chicago august 1st through 3rd. I learned a lot from that. I'll probebly be doing a San Shou style fight, with take downs, at a local tourny not to far from here to get more experience in the ring.

I did ground fighting, which is Ju-Jitsu but we usually went without Gi. I enjoy that aswell, and did that for probebly almost three years untill recently. I prefer stand up over ground, but some ground knowledge is always essential I believe, to some extent.

I've taken one class in Bujinkun Ninjitsu while I was in Japan, with a ninja buddy I met where I was staying. The guys I went to Japan with were there to train with the top Ninjitsu masters, like Hatsume. I didn't train under him, it was another well known master in Japan, but I don't recall his name. He was short, my height, very friendy and spoke pretty good english. I didn't like it to much though, the diffrences between my style and ninjitsu are pretty drastic, but I'm glad I tried it. He did compliment on my form though, which is from my previous martial arts training so that made me feel good.

I'd like to try other martial arts, but Taekwondo and Muay Thai kickboxing I think will always be my top priorities, but I think its good to branch out and experience other styles.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I did tae-kwon-do for about two years until of course it started to impact my knees. And since it's 70/30 legs to upper body I decided I wanted something more balanced.

So then came tai chi. I've found that combined with self defense classes, and dance, I've more or less come up with my own particular style that combines an intense kind of flexibility with maneuvers that turn opponents back on themselves. I.e. a charge becomes easy to sidestep, and when my arm's twisted behind me, it's flexible enough to not hurt. So playing possum comes around again.

"All martial arts are based on deception."

Or so the Jade Warlord said. Either way I've found that mixing my dance moves with some well placed high kicks to the jaw tend to work well in keeping the opponent off balance.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]In all seriousness, I would learn tae-kwon-do because not only it looks cool [I]and[/I] but also it looks like you can kick someone's *** if you happen to get into a fight for a reason about talking about them when you weren't.......anyway, confront your enemies, avoid them when you can, and if you happen to get into a fight with them, kick their assonance!!! I may also consider Judo. but it doesn't look cool enough.:animedepr[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="Navy"]I may also consider Judo. but it doesn't look cool enough.:animedepr[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Judo is mostly based on throwing people...and I figured that you needed really strong arms to do that, so I pushed that idea away almost immediately when I was considering what martial art to take.

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="Purple"]Throwing people, eh? * imagining throwing someone* nah, arms aren't strong enough. I guess I'll just stick to tae-kwon-do! =)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
You don't really need strong arms to throw. All you need to do is get in close and use their weight against them. Trips and over the shoulder work quite nicely. Just make sure they're not in a position to kick you in the face after landing. ;)[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
You don't really need strong arms to throw. All you need to do is get in close and use their weight against them. Trips and over the shoulder work quite nicely. Just make sure they're not in a position to kick you in the face after landing. ;)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yeah, make sure you get 'em with a nice, strong cross-over heel kick while they're down!:animesmil