OtakuBoards

Thread Title Changes

Dragon Warrior

[size=1]Now I'm just throwing this out as both a suggestion and a subject for discussion, but in the past I've had the urge to change my thread titles for certain reasons. For example, during a story perhaps, maybe it'd be a nifty idea to put updates in the title, like so:
[indent][b]The Otaku Story [Ch. 3 Up!][/b][/indent]
This can also be done for certain RPGs, events on OB (particularly user-created in the Lounge or Convention Center), and other threads that find it necessary. I can see how that could possibly be abused, but like any other mod job, it can be watched and I'm sure it'd be tamed. I'm assuming there's good reason it hasn't been done before, and I realize that people could possibly do it in other parts of the forums, changing their thread titles completely all the time making keeping track of a thread a bit of a task. In that case, would there be a way to keep this feature special to particular forums such as the Anthology?

On another note--and mind you, I'm not sure how customizable you guys can get, and what exactly you're willing to do--but another option is maybe some kind of feature so you can add updates below thread titles, but not actually change the thread title itself. I uploaded an example of this idea here:

[center][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719&stc=1&d=1223298107[/img][/center]

As you can see, it could show up right below the thread title and the author of the thread would have complete access to changing the update any time, with a certain amount of characters, keeping the viewing public informed without actually having to dig through the thread to know what the latest 411 is.

Like I said, I don't know what you're capable of or what you want to do, but I think it'd be handy. I'll leave it open to discussion and such now :] Thanks.[/size]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]The only way you can edit a thread title is with the "Edit Thread" feature - a feature which is only available to Moderators and up. I've tried a few different sets of permissions but as far as I can tell, there is no way to edit your own thread's title without having that option.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]And DW, as for your second suggestion, that would require a complete over-haul of the forum software. It would mean adding a new field to the database, changing the code that outputs the forums to include that new field, and then creating custom permissions for your update line. I can't speak for everyone but in my own personal opinion, it doesn't seem possible.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]There is a setting that allows members to edit the titles of their own threads during a certain period of time after posting it, but that seems to be it. After that expires, only moderators can edit the title and there's no way to set it to unlimited. Right now it's set to ten minutes.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]There is a setting that allows members to edit the titles of their own threads during a certain period of time after posting it, but that seems to be it. After that expires, only moderators can edit the title and there's no way to set it to unlimited. Right now it's set to ten minutes.[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Good catch. I forgot about that setting. I'm assuming setting it to 0 disables the ability to edit thread titles completely though so you're right - there doesn't seem to be a way to indefinitely allow thread title edits.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Sorry DW. Though you're right, it couldn't hurt to ask.[/COLOR][/FONT]