OtakuBoards

Chaos;Head

Dagger

More fall anime~

Nishijou Takumi, a high school outcast and self-described otaku creep, has an overactive imagination. Sometimes he fantasizes about the girls around him (while claiming to have no interest in the third dimension). Sometimes he has paranoid delusions. As brutal serial murders begin to occur in his neighborhood, he finds it more and more of a struggle to stay disengaged from reality.

Haha, okay, that makes Chaos;Head sound pretty dreary, but it's got plenty of fun parts as well. Especially with how Taku mentally frames most of his human interaction in terms of eroge. So far, the first episode ("Boot Up") has aired, and I think there are supposed to be twelve episodes total.

I've played the game this anime is based on, but I almost wish I could erase my memory of it. It'd be fun to watch the show without knowing where the story is going.

~Dagger~

Just finished watching the first episode. Thoughts!

After the first episode, I am sure I will love this series -- it has a great mix of surrealness, paranoia and strange humor. One thing that really stuck out to me is Takumi's home: It is more like a tomb than a place where someone would want to live lol. Opening that creaky metal door every day would creep the hell out of me if I lived there. Although I suppose it is appropriate for now, because Takumi kind of gives me the creeps at the moment. It is a bit unsettling to see someone that far gone out of reality, haha.

Is it just me, or does Yua give off an unreal vibe? Maybe it is just the way Takumi sees her -- I would not be shocked if this were the case -- but his interactions with her actually [i]were[/i] like they sprang straight from one of the games he plays. I am not sure what to think of her right now, which is probably because Takumi is not sure what to think of her. Hm.

As for whether the [spoiler]murder scene was a product of Takumi's imagination ... well, you can never be too sure about these things, especially when a tasty clue is thrown your way such as the weapon in Takumi's home actually being real. I am no good at speculation, though, so I have nothing to offer on that front, haha.[/spoiler]

I like the music a lot so far, too. It fits seamlessly into the show rather than overpowering it, and the off-kilter vibe it gives off is sort of appealing.

[quote name='Shinmaru']
I like the music a lot so far, too. It fits seamlessly into the show rather than overpowering it, and the off-kilter vibe it gives off is sort of appealing.[/QUOTE]
I felt some trepidation about it back when I heard that they were replacing the game soundtrack, but I like it a lot, too. The game music has a similar effect in how it melts into the rest of what's going on but still makes you quirk an eyebrow every so often.

Ep. 1 reminded me of what a horribly good VA Yoshino Hiroyuki is. Takumi just wouldn't be the same without his acting. In that respect, my favorite moment had to be the scene where Takumi starts cradling his Seira figure. His creepiness level totally went off the charts right there.

Another Easter egg (not sure if it's clear from watching the episode itself): the ED is sung by an artist named Kagami [I]Seira[/I].

ETA: Be proud of me, it was a huge battle not to say anything related to the other parts of your post. :p

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Ep. 1 reminded me of what a horribly good VA Yoshino Hiroyuki is. Takumi just wouldn't be the same without his acting. In that respect, my favorite moment had to be the scene where Takumi starts cradling his Seira figure. His creepiness level totally went off the charts right there.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. His acting has the perfect level of paranoia, awkwardness and creepiness. I looked up other roles he has had, and, uh, let's just say I will never look at Daichi from [b]Shugo Chara![/b] the same way ever again. Haha.

Also, I am always proud of you, Dagger. :p

Aww... sometimes I wish there were a Chaos;Head Alternative or something, where nothing bad ever happened. It'd be all about Rimi and Dai-chin and (a very reluctant) Taku hanging out in Shibuya, of course.

So I mentioned Taku's seiyuu last week, but episode 2 showcases what was one of the most jaw-dropping instances of voice-acting in the whole game, and he's not the one who shines there. Anyone who watches it will know exactly what I'm talking about.

On a related note,

[spoiler]YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA YUA

God, I love her.[/spoiler]

I remember when I got to this part of the story, [spoiler]at first I was eager for Yua to hurry up and show her other side. I thought, "She can't be for real--if she is, this is the crappiest game ever." Just like Taku, I couldn't buy her moe otaku-loving sempai front. But at some point, I started hoping she was for real. By the time I reached the scene that ep. 2 ended on, I desperately wanted her to be on Taku's side.[/spoiler]

I think I felt that way because [spoiler]while I really didn't want Chaos;Head to veer in the direction of romance with any of the female characters (I mean, come on, can you imagine Taku having even a semblance of a regular relationship? And why the hell would any girl be romantically interested in him in the first place?), Taku's time with Yua sort of gives you a sense that maybe, somewhere deep down, he has the potential to carry out and even enjoy a more fulfilling 3-D life. It's so sad when he finds himself hoping against all hope and reason that she really does enjoy his company.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

lol, I could be like, "I so called it!!!1!!1!1" but I guess it is not that difficult to predict, haha. (I am notoriously bad at guessing plot twists. >_>) But, yes, I was not shocked at [spoiler]the turn, but Yua's cold, business-like voice [i]was[/i] quite jarring lol. She went from suspicious to truly dangerous in less than a second. The whole thing does have me curious about who she is and why she investigated Taku, though -- was a friend or relative of hers murdered? Did she come to suspect Taku before or after she struck up a friendship with him? Were there any genuine feelings involved at all?[/spoiler]

From the way Taku reacted to [spoiler]Yua's advances (particularly the remark about the whole thing "disgusting" him and whatnot), I knew there was no way their "relationship" could end well. He is just not equipped to deal with people, which is quite sad. He'll be dealing with more people than he can handle, at any rate, with Yua [i]and[/i] the police soon to be on his ***.[/spoiler]

Also, I am getting mixed signals about Rimi. There is one particular shot that seems to imply [spoiler]she is not real and that she really [i]is[/i] one of Taku's delusions, but she also holds conversations with people when Taku is around and when he is not around, so I don't know how to feel about that. Taku's memory issues concerning her are also quite suspicious -- I would guess it is something to do with him other than Rimi being a delusion, or whatever.[/spoiler]

Right now [spoiler]I believe Taku is not the killer, mostly because I cannot think of a scenario that would reveal him as the murderer that would also not infuriate me lol.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]I'm [i]really[/i] trying my best not to google spoilers for the original game, but dang, episode 2 kept me hanging. I was able to guess from the beginning that [spoiler]Yua was not who she said she was[/spoiler]...which is weird cause I, too, utterly fail at predicting that kinda thing.

In any case, your fanspazzing has not let me down yet, Dagger, as the first two episodes beautifully illustrated. Question though -- MAL says there will be 12 episodes...is that enough to encompass the game from beginning to end? Or will there be room for a second helping?[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]Question though -- MAL says there will be 12 episodes...is that enough to encompass the game from beginning to end? Or will there be room for a second helping?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I think this will be the only season. The ideal adaptation length would probably be around ~15 episodes, but since that's irregular, 12 ought to be doable. The writing has been pretty tight so far.

~Dagger~

Ep3 is good stuff -- for some reason, I am getting the feeling it is an episode that sets up some things that will be paid off in an awesome way later (I am thinking mainly of [spoiler]Takumi's flashback to his childhood and that girl holding the same sword as FES -- a connection beyond being a fan?[/spoiler]).

There is some stuff that is interesting all on its own, though. Kind of weird that the doctor did not recognize Takumi -- either it's been a hell of a long since he has been to the doctor, or perhaps the memory of the doctor is another level of delusion. (Note: I hope I don't get tired of thinking everything is some sort of delusion, because I think I will be doing that a lot lol.) We also got nurse!Seira out of the hospital trip, so big win for the fans! Yay!

My favorite scene, however, is everything in the concert. Great sense of claustrophobia with all the people around Takumi, and the delusion of [spoiler]FES walking toward Takumi and stripping every other second is super creepy[/spoiler]. Also interesting that she knows Takumi's little catchphrase.

Looks like ep 4 has given an official introduction to all the female characters now. I was really suprised [spoiler]when Taku had his whole delusional sequence in which he met Shogun. It seemed completely otherworldly. I'm also interested in seeing what his talk with the cops leads to. Whether they just think he's crazy or if they actually took some truth from his outburst. [/spoiler] I was hoping to find out this ep but looks like I'll have to wait.

The ep 5 preview had some interesting stuff[spoiler] like Yua entering Taku's cubicle at @Cafe while clamping his mouth shut with her hand[/spoiler] I've also checked out the 2 scanlated chapters of the manga which changes the order of events a little. From 2 chapters [spoiler]the Vampire incident has occured and the reason Yua is obsessed with the New Gen murders is revealed. Taku also see's a music vid of Phantasm rather than going to a concert and it's some what a hallucination while watching the vid in which he's told to search for his Di-sword.[/spoiler]

I've become really hooked on this series. To the point that I want to get my hands on the game but that's probably going to be a little difficult. I also love the music in episode 3. I'm hoping a OST is released for the series once it's complete because I want those songs. XD

Does anyone else think that the ED song is a little out of sync with the series mood? While the lyrics could fit I find the tune catchy but a bit out there for the show.

[quote name='Meggido']Does anyone else think that the ED song is a little out of sync with the series mood? While the lyrics could fit I find the tune catchy but a bit out there for the show.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I've been thinking that every time I hear it. When I watched the first episode I was expecting an ED along the same lines as the OP (<3 Itou Kanako) and instead I was hit with this bouncy song full of English lines. It's not bad, really, just completely jarring after watching the crazy stuff that goes down in the show.[/color]

[center][URL=http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chaosheadsenafs7.jpg][IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/19/chaosheadsenafs7.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php][IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/IMG][/URL][/center]

... I ... I think I'm in love. :animeknow

Ahem. Excellent episode -- Takumi's delusions are amazing in this one (foot fetishes! marriage proposals!). The one with Sena, in particular, had me dying with laughter. Also, is it bad that I started cracking up during the beginning when the whole "whose eyes are those" thing spread around? You know what is going to happen once Takumi realizes he is surrounded by the phrase, and it is funny. (The rock-paper-scissors game is my favorite use of the phrase, although the guy singing it to a jaunty tune is also quite wonderful.)

The scene with [spoiler]Shogun in the street is my favorite in this episode. The colors surrounding Takumi during that bit is an interesting touch (markers of Shogun's powers, perhaps?). Music came through big in that scene -- whenever I hear that creepy delusion theme, my heart starts racing. Pavlov would be proud, methinks.[/spoiler] Very interesting that Takumi is [spoiler]moving a bit closer to Rimi as a result of that whole thing, too. Like my feelings toward Yua, I definitely do not completely trust Rimi, although I am not certain what she is aiming for at the moment.[/spoiler]

Also, Takumi is extra creepy in this episode. [b][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Shinmaru/Anime%20Screenshots/ChaosHeadCheckOutThoroughly.jpg"]I think this screenshot explains it all quite nicely.[/URL][/b] His laugh when he starts fondling his new Seira figure is also quite disturbing.

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I've been thinking that every time I hear it. When I watched the first episode I was expecting an ED along the same lines as the OP (<3 Itou Kanako) and instead I was hit with this bouncy song full of English lines. It's not bad, really, just completely jarring after watching the crazy stuff that goes down in the show.[/color][/QUOTE]

I think that is the point. The show switches tones so much that it's appropriate its ED sends the viewer off with a nice bit of mood whiplash. :p

EDIT: And welcome to the thread, Meggido! :)

[quote name='Meggido']
Does anyone else think that the ED song is a little out of sync with the series mood? While the lyrics could fit I find the tune catchy but a bit out there for the show.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I kinda thought the same thing...then I remembered that Elfen Lied, an absolute gore fest, has a happy, catchy Jpop tune as its ED. So I suppose I'm used to it.

Speaking of the ED, is the full version out yet? I've been waiting for it for awhile now.

In any case, episode 4 just finished downloading, thoughts to come later [maybe].[/SIZE]

I think the full version of the ED doesn't come out until later in November (I was looking for it earlier because I wanted to see the official lyrics, but no go).

Re: ep. 4, I really dug [spoiler]the scene with Shogun and the deserted scramble crossing. I'd loooove to see someone do a scene like that in a live-action film. I've wandered around Shibuya at five in the morning, and there are still a lot of young people there.[/spoiler]

@Meggido: Hm, maybe I should get around to reading the manga. Off the top of my head, there's that manga, plus a newly serialized one that centers around Sena and Kozue, plus a romantic comedy version called Chaos Head H. Oh, and I think a Blood Tune novelization came out recently... I'm kind of tempted to check it out... :animeswea

~Dagger~

[quote name='Shinmaru']
EDIT: And welcome to the thread, Meggido! :)[/QUOTE]

Thankyou XD

Anyway I just watched the ep again because I always find something I missed on second viewings and noticed a few more things that piqued my interest. The first [spoiler]is after Rimi's visit and just before Taku visit's the hospital again. There is a short sequence in which he wakes up and types shogun into a site on his comp. I'm wondering whether this was him searching shogun or whether he was sleepwalking and typing in shogun as a log in name. Sadly I can't read the Japanese on the button he clicks after typing it in.[/spoiler]

The second is [spoiler]The bangle he gets with the fake Di-Sword and gives to his sister. Apart from the fact that it made a deal of because it's kind of a gift from him to his sister I think there is something more to it.[/spoiler] I'm probably overstating things and reading to much into it. However I kind of got the same feeling when reading the manga.

On you're point about not trusting Rimi, Shinmaru, I'd have to agree [spoiler]that we have not infact seen her true self just yet. However I don't think she's as two faced as Yua was. However I'm sort of interested to her tie in with the staking and how it will be explained at the end if at all.[/spoiler] My own opinions on rimi though again come from the 2 chapters of the manga where a little bit more has been revealed about both Yua and Rimi than in the anime.

manga spoiler(yet to come in anime): I'm interested in [spoiler] what Rimi did to Yua at the end of Chapter 2 to make her pass out and her mysterious words of "I must protect Taku". Also interested in how this will come about in the anime.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Meggido']The second is [spoiler]The bangle he gets with the fake Di-Sword and gives to his sister. Apart from the fact that it made a deal of because it's kind of a gift from him to his sister I think there is something more to it.[/spoiler] I'm probably overstating things and reading to much into it. However I kind of got the same feeling when reading the manga.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought, actually. [spoiler]If the bangle is not out and out the key to Takumi acquiring his sword, it will least help him on the way to obtaining it.[/spoiler] There was too much attention paid to the bangle for it to be inconsequential.

Oh wow. Episode 5 is [spoiler]chock-full of explanations about what's going on... but they don't give you much of a clue as to which (if any) is correct. I remember from the game that the streetcar conversation with Sena was one of the most excruciating parts to translate--I didn't know what half of what she was saying meant in English, much less Japanese! So, uh, good luck to them fansubbers.[/spoiler]

I liked how [spoiler]they handled the MewTube video at the end. That was one of the parts where the animators had very few cues (aside from textual description) to go by, but I thought it came out quite nicely. Of course, the best part is when the creaking wheelchair noise slowly comes to the forefront. Serious bricks were shat the first time I reached that scene in the game. And what a great last line for Takumi.[/spoiler]

I'm gonna go watch that part again now...

The preview doesn't give much of a clue about what will happen next. Ever since the anime was announced, I've been thinking that they'll need to reach a certain point by episode 6, to make the pacing work. We'll see.

Oh, and for anyone else who's acquired the F.D.D single, some fans have speculated that the B-side track (Fly to the sky) might get used as an insert song or an alternate ED at some point.

~Dagger~

Good episode. I'm not sure which explanation to buy, if any. Takumi is correct when he says all of them are bats--t insane lol. (Of course, that statement does not hold much sway from a guy who is in all likelihood bats--t insane himself.) To be honest, I really don't want to buy any of them, haha. [spoiler]Yua's explanation is a tired cop-out of the worst kind. Sena's explanation is a whole load of techno- and psychobabble. Ayase does not really explain much except to offer up a literal Deus Ex Machina.[/spoiler] I think it is mainly the show (or the game originally, I guess lol) throwing out a bunch of random explanations just to mess with the viewer/player.

Still, those scenes gave me more Sena (with random ice cream eating!) and more Ayase (with even more hilarious delusions from Takumi), so it's all good. :)

Not really surprised that [spoiler]Shogun is directly involved with the New Gen killings, although whether he is [i]the[/i] killer remains to be seen. I agree that scene is done well, and Takumi does have a great closing line.[/spoiler]

I also liked Yua in this episode. [spoiler]There's a great contrast between herself at home, where she is actually nervous (!!!) to send an e-mail to Takumi, and when she is outside interacting with Takumi, where he views her as a honed killer. The scene where she first confronts Takumi and pushes him against the computer sent a jolt through me, haha. The part where all the people join up and chase Takumi is good, too. Reminded me a lot of [i]Night of the Living Dead[/i], or some other great zombie movie.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]Saw episode 5 yesterday...and I officially despise Takumi now. [spoiler]As one consistently ignored when in pain, him just walking by that girl [I forget her name ATM...sad ain't it] had fallen down and was bleeding...what a freakin' buttwipe.[/spoiler] And overall, he just ticks me off. UGHHHH I want to strangle him. I really do hope he dies. >_>

...Also, am I the only one that thinks that [u][URL="http://i38.tinypic.com/2nau4oj.jpg"]Nana Osaki[/URL][/u] + [u][URL="http://i35.tinypic.com/2ic3bsy.jpg"]Yuki Nagato[/URL][/u] = [u][URL="http://i36.tinypic.com/vcuvet.png"]FES[/URL][/u]?[/SIZE]

Another good episode, and judging from the end, I think this is the point where the plot really begins to move. The noise shockwave is a big "WTF?" moment (I had flashbacks to the season two finale of [b]Lost[/b]), and I am endlessly curious about who [spoiler]Yua was talking to on the phone, and who exactly her younger sister might be.[/spoiler] I am also intrigued with the clearly suspicious Rimi -- she definitely did not like what she heard when Takumi told her [spoiler]Ayase has a sword.[/spoiler] The mystery behind Rimi's role in all this grows curiouser and curiouser.

On a purely fanboy basis, I loved action!Sena. That fat geek never stood a chance.

We finally get a decent amount of Kozue with the latest ep.

Been a while since I posted here but I had to do a catch up of eps 5 and 6, and after all the explanations in eps 6 and 7 I think my brain needs a complete reboot. It seems weird that the series will only be 5 more eps or so because there is so much in this series it could almost have been slightly longer. And we still have yet to see 3 Di-swords at least.

On the episode though we come back to episode 3 and the explanation [spoiler] the Taku is able to make things happen as he wishes it. However unlike previously where it could have been just seen as delusional, this mixed with his conversation with the 2 Ayase's suggests there is a lot more there. But it seemed like Ayase was pretty okay after landing in the flowerbed but next thing we're shown is her being rushed into hospital. I'm hoping nothing bad happens to her, not from the fall but other reason.[/spoiler]

I also believe that [spoiler] Taku is on his way to being able to obtain his own Di-sword. Just simply when he was getting beaten up by the 3 guys it seemed that his own Di-sword began to materialize. On another note with that incident the hoodlums said they were paid to beat up Taku so I wonder if it was Shogun in an attempt to get Taku to awaken.[/spoiler]

The final thing that has me interested is the N.O.Z.O.M.I. group. [spoiler] We see a lot more of them in this ep after they'd been hinted at in eps 3 and 6. But while we are offered explanations on Giglomaniacs and Noah II we don't know what their real plans are or for that matter who they are. There is also this church that Sena mentioned that has me confused and pondering. And what is it that these packages (whatever they are) are headed too?[/spoiler]

Sadly not much Rimi this ep, but more Kozue next ep. I think Rimi and Kozue are the cutest girls in the series XD.

As for next ep preview. [spoiler] looks Like Kozue, Sena and Taku will launch an attack on the N.O.Z.O.M.I group, but what is with the "evil" guy also having a Di-sword?" Hopefully it's answered next ep. I mean with 5 eps to go things will have to be given answers and conclusions made to various aspects (i.e. how the other 3 girls come about there Di-Swords, especially Taku's sister.) in some way. I'd hate for a cliffhanger conclusion to the series.[/spoiler]

[center][URL=http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chaosheadgigalomaniactruo4.jpg][IMG]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/656/chaosheadgigalomaniactruo4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/center]

We are ... The Three Amigos~

Haha, I think this is my favorite episode in the series so far. First off, boatloads of Sena. <3 Also, there is lots of Kozue, and she's [i]awesome[/i]. Love the contrast between her happy-go-lucky personality and her [spoiler]"KILL 'EM ALL"[/spoiler] attitude. And the extended action sequence with [spoiler]Sena and Kozue BRINGING THE FIGHT~ to N.O.Z.O.M.I.[/spoiler]? Pure awesome. They make an amazing team. <3 <3 <3

Once again the technobabble is a bit difficult to follow (probably the only aspect of Sena I don't like -- reminds me of when Itsuki drones on in [b]Haruhi Suzumiya[/b]), but it took me just a couple of rewinds to wrap my head around it. Having that dialogue coming during a fun section of action is a smart move. So it appears as though one explanation for the world's craziness is correct, although like Meggido, I suspect there is more to this than what we have witnessed.

Takumi is definitely [spoiler]closer to obtaining his Di-Sword. Actually, I think he was the one who took out those guys, because the Di-Sword clearly materialized in his hands before he blacked out. However, right now I do not think he can consciously control when he can call his Di-Sword like Sena, Kozue and Ayase can. The mere fact Takumi can actually get a Di-Sword means he is closer to being able to do that, though.[/spoiler]

Next episode looks really good. I, too, am interested in seeing why [spoiler]the evil guy has a Di-Sword, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him duel with Sena. Yes~![/spoiler]

Now we're all in the same boat, because they've really changed the order of things around--I have no idea what will happen next! :animesmil But yeah, Sena and Kozue make a great team. I need to go check out the manga that focuses just on them (I think it's called Chaos;Head - Blue Complex or something like that).

~Dagger~

So, wow, the story is really moving now, huh? Haha.

A few things that are surprising while the episode is in motion but not especially surprising in retrospect:

1) Our friend, the detective, is [spoiler]a Gigalomaniac. I doubt he would have gone as far with his investigation as he has if he were unable to see the things Takumi, Sena, Kozue, et al can see.[/spoiler] Still, that is a neat surprise to open the episode with.

2) Rimi is [spoiler]in cahoots with Shogun. Again, not especially surprising since she was so suspicious of Takumi's relationship with Sena, but it does make me wonder what their ultimate goal is. Even though Rimi apparently needs to eliminate Takumi lest Shogun be destroyed, I am uncertain whether they are good or bad (or either). Methinks they don't have much to do with NOZOMI, at the very least.[/spoiler] We'll see, though.

3) Sena has [spoiler]a personal vendetta against NOZOMI, and against Norose in particular. There's now an origin for her hatred for the Church of the Divine Light, although what exactly that church IS is still unknown. What [i]is[/i] known, though, is that Norose is a douche. How dare he harm Sena like that. :|[/spoiler]

So, yes, very enjoyable episode. Loved [spoiler]the Gigalomaniac Trio vs. Norose fight. Good action there, plus the addition of a new member to the gang~ Yay for Ayase![/spoiler] I am intrigued about who the person is at the end of the episode, because there is only one possibility to me ... [spoiler]Nanami. It's either her or Yua, and Yua is running around with the detective in the next episode, apparently, so Nanami is the only logical assumption. The frog is there to throw people off, I think; Nanami had one of those, too, right? She hasn't done anything, so she needs to become involved with the plot somehow. It wouldn't be too surprising to know she has powers similar to Takumi.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Also, I must say I lol'd at [spoiler]the music that plays when Ayase shows up during the fight. It's such an amusingly generic "Our party is complete!" tune, haha.[/spoiler]