OtakuBoards

80's Music

TheShinje

Who likes 80's music?

I haven't always been a fan of 80's music but I've come to toally dig the stuff now. Everything from 80's Metallica to a Flock of Seagulls to Run DMC.

Synth pop is my favourite, In some cases it can be tacky but in most cases the songs are done well, and are a good source for some groovy, tacky, happy fun. :animesmil

Not to mention Alf comes from this decade, which automatically makes it the coolest. decade. evar!!1!1

I voted Indifferent. :)

I am not a total fan of the 80s (and have been known to deride it, just ask certain people), but I will admit there are some things from that decade I really do enjoy, like early Queensryche, 80s-era Rush, Saga, Marillion, and some Billy Joel.

I'm a large fan on 80's rock or hair metal. I think the song generally have a better sounding then some of the rock songs now. I can identify better with more 80's songs then others. I do have personal favorites and at the top of the list is Billy Idol. Love the lyrics and the way he sings. I also love Steve Stevens guitar playing.

I do also like the other bands that were part of that time. Poison, Motley Crue, Faster Pussycat, Bon Jovi, Gun's n' Roses, Sisters of Mercy, David Bowie (even though I like more of the early albums then the 80's albums he did) and so many more. I think you get the picture.

I'm all for the hair bands, well really just about any 80's music. I can't say I listen to it more than modern, but it was good none the less. I'm a big fan of NWA, Prince, Billy Idol, and all the other Pop/hip hop bands.

But the best is the rock, Whitesnake, Poison, Twisted sister, Metallica, and all the others.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I'm all for the hair bands, well really just about any 80's music. I can't say I listen to it more than modern, but it was good none the less. [B]I'm a big fan of NWA, Prince, Billy Idol, and all the other Pop/hip hop bands.[/B]
But the best is the rock, Whitesnake, Poison, Twisted sister, Metallica, and all the others.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Prince??? Really? Wow..........................................I don't really care as long as you like Michael Jackson.:catgirl:[/COLOR]

[size=1]Buzzcocks! Blitz! Blue Orchids and the Fall (I have to like them because my friend's mother is the founder - I'm honestly not kidding, mentioned this a million times - Una Baines, look it up!). Depeche Mode of course, Christian Death was pretty good, Human League and the Homosexuals... JOY DIVISION, New Order, Poison Girls, Theatre of Hate, Sisters of Mercy...

Half of these probably don't count, you know, but the majority of 'em are - some are just a bit before the 80s and most hung around '84. The similarity? All post-punk!

The 80's has good music anyway except I only tend to dabble in my chosen genre and its insanely massive list of sub genres. Billy Idol is a must as well. New wave is a classic, and definitely 80s, glam metal had its time, then the 2 Tone stuff that came along, and all the Darkwave... then that silly No Wave...

I do like other 80's stuff but this all all that springs to mind...

...because I don't listen to much else obv. =p[/size]

I have to say I fully surprised at how many have said they like Billy Idol. Usually most people I've talk to have either never heard of him or only know two song being White Wedding and Rebel Yell.

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Buzzcocks! Blitz! Blue Orchids and the Fall (I have to like them because my friend's mother is the founder - I'm honestly not kidding, mentioned this a million times - Una Baines, look it up!). Depeche Mode of course, Christian Death was pretty good, Human League and the Homosexuals... JOY DIVISION, New Order, Poison Girls, Theatre of Hate, Sisters of Mercy...[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

You can hear the Sisters of Mercy influence in a few bands now a days. There metal bands even in Brazil having used some of their style. They made quite an impact when they only released a few albums.

[color=#9933ff]I voted that I totally dig 80's music. But then again I like most music. I have The Essential Cyndi Lauper CD and grew up learning how to [B]'Walk Like An Egyptian'[/B] Sometimes it's strange to admit it, but I really love a lot of 80's music. But hey now in this thread I can say it an no one can really think I'm too wierd- well weirder than they already think I am[/color]

[FONT="Arial"]Though they technically cover more than the 80's, I've always enjoyed songs by Chicago, Depeche Mode and Kansas. I am not a huge fan of the era, but there's no denying that some great music comes from that time. It's fun to listen to every now and then.[/FONT]

[quote name='Katakidoushi']
And has no one mentioned David Bowie or Queen?

[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]David Bowie, for me anyway, was relatively uninteresting in the four albums he did in the '80s. So he doesn't count for the '80s =p... except for the song Blue Jean and Absolute Beginners, but that's it.[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]David Bowie, for me anyway, was relatively uninteresting in the four albums he did in the '80s. So he doesn't count for the '80s =p... except for the song Blue Jean and Absolute Beginners, but that's it.[/size][/QUOTE]

Under Pressure

Excellent song, and actually features both of them. It's a shame Vanilla Ice decided to be a dick and steal the bass line.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM[/url]

[quote name='Katakidoushi']Under Pressure

Excellent song, and actually features both of them. It's a shame Vanilla Ice decided to be a dick and steal the bass line.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM[/url][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Oooh! I love that song. I'm actually listening to it right now! :catgirl:[/COLOR]