OtakuBoards

Looking for a free downloadable art program PLEASE HELP!!!

WickedDreams

okay, well I finally decided i HATE mspaint. After working with photoshop in school I realized how many fun and cool effects you can do with other programs. MSPaint is SOOOO limited. I've tried searching on my own, but I just don't know what exactly I'm trying to look for. I've never been good at google.

I would really REALLY appreciate it if any of you could take the time to suggest different programs letting me know how much they help you out.

Thanks for you time reading this plead for help

-WickedDreams

[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I know exactly how you feel, my friend. I usually color with colored pencils and/or mspaint. Unfortunately, I am on the same quest as you. I'll try my best to help. There's plenty of sites in which you could have a free trial. These trials usually last up to 60 days(?), I think. During this trial, try your best to scrape up some money so you can actually buy the program. There's no programs that I know of that are free and the reason why there are so little I think is because these programs are so good. For now, you should just experiment with what you can do on mspaint, I've learned alot of things so far.
Hopefully this helped.:animesmil[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Next time you can post it in my neat area of the forums: Art Studio, which is the place where all the cool people go.

Anyway, GIMP would be one of the best options, it being probably the best program in the direction of Photoshop that doesn't cost you a dime. [url]http://www.gimp.org/[/url] if you're interested. I cannot give you any better suggestion than that program I think. Just try it and see if it works out. It's like Photoshop with a few less options, but that is quite well compensated by the amount of money you save.

If a mod would redirect this to my forum, that'd be great. [/size]

TheGIMP is an excellent freeware alternative to Photoshop, It may take a bit to get used to, but it is almost as powerful as Photoshop itself. Another alternative is PAINT.net, which requires you to download the MS .net framework. I'd go with theGIMP, personally.

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Next time you can post it in my neat area of the forums: Art Studio, which is the place where all the cool people go.

Anyway, GIMP would be one of the best options, it being probably the best program in the direction of Photoshop that doesn't cost you a dime. [url]http://www.gimp.org/[/url] if you're interested. I cannot give you any better suggestion than that program I think. Just try it and see if it works out. It's like Photoshop with a few less options, but that is quite well compensated by the amount of money you save.

If a mod would redirect this to my forum, that'd be great. [/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thank you so much, Boo. Although W.D. should've said that. Anyways, thank you.:catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Boo'][size=1]Next time you can post it in my neat area of the forums: Art Studio[/size][/QUOTE]And in this case, I'll simply shuffle it over to your area. =P

As others have said, GIMP is a free program that you can try. Better than paint and similar to photoshop. If I remember correctly the site for it even has tutorials to teach you how to use the program.[/FONT][/COLOR]

GIMP is the only program I can think of if you're looking for a FREE program that is closest to Photoshop. I would definitely recommend GIMP just as the previous people before have. If you're thinking about buying programs, you can also downlaod a trial version of them. Most Adobe programs lets you use it free for about 30 days. Adobe Creative Suite CS4 just came out but its on the VERY expensive side. Its over $1k.

But yeah. GIMP is the way to go.

• 6 months later...
[SIZE="2"]hehe to be honest, if you look around on the internet hard enough you can get pretty much any program full version (even the really good ones) for free[/SIZE] ;)

you can opencanvas the older versions for free
thats good for drawing <- not fancy effects.
most of the decent programs you would have to buy. D; i dunno

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]I've never used GIMP before but I have heard a lot of good things about it, especially (and mostly) from newer users to graphic manipulators. I started with MS Paint in my earliest days (of computer graphics, I started with pencil, pen, etc before). Then shortly after I found a program that came with my computer that gave a larger allowance for manipulation amongst my projects.

That was the same for a long while (as you can tell if you ever get the chance to find my old threads), until I got a hold of Photoshop 7.0. Then it progressed to Photoshop CS, CS2 and now CS3. That's not including the various versions of Illustrator I've had.

Now, I'm not saying you should do anything illegal, but there's always a way to get what you want out of the internet.

But I would suggest going the GIMP route or paying out a bit of money for an older version of Photoshop or the like. I'm sure they aren't as expensive as they used to be. :D[/FONT][/SIZE]