OtakuBoards

Gears of War 2

Drizzt Do'urden

I wanted to make a thread completly divoted to Gears of War 2, which in my opinion is going to probably going to shadow the other shooters that have and will come out the rest of the year.

I'm actually taking the day off of work on Friday to A) pickup my copy from gamestop at midnight, and B) start playing online asap.

Are there any UK members out there getting this game when it comes out? If so I was hoping you could give us a little post after you pick it up to tell us what its like.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I wanted to make a thread completly divoted to Gears of War 2, which in my opinion is going to probably going to shadow the other shooters that have and will come out the rest of the year.

I'm actually taking the day off of work on Friday to A) pickup my copy from gamestop at midnight, and B) start playing online asap.

Are there any UK members out there getting this game when it comes out? If so I was hoping you could give us a little post after you pick it up to tell us what its like.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]I've been playing GoW2 for 3 weeks now, my friend has a leaked copy of the game, I don't like piracy but at least he's buying the game at launch (mostly because he can't play it online or he will get banned)

I haven't played the single player mode as I don't want to spoil it for myself, but we have played horde mode quite extensively, on 4 player it is a complete riot, especially on insane mode.

I'll be there at the midnight launch to get it.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm actually gonna pick this up later on today. Gears of War was a blast to play and I loved every single blood-drenched second of it. While it isn't something I would play normally, the sheer brutality of the game made it enjoyable for me because I was tired of the gaming scene at the time providing a good gruesome game for us to be enraptured with it.

Can't wait for GoW2. [/FONT]

I'm also getting the game when it is release tonight at midnight. I can't wait to play it, I mean I really wanted to play this game for a long time now and now its finally going to be release. I'm going to the midnight launch today and I'll try to pown some jerk who think their all talk and stuff.

Can't wait until GoW2 is finally release.

Finally got to sit down and play this, I just finished a marathon Multiplayer game and I must say I'm sort've dissapointed. They used the same engine that Halo3 used and I don't care for it. In the first GOW your could get a group of 8 people and play all day, now you can only get a team of five and do the same. You have to pick between 2 maps and 2 game types so with the number of game types chances are you're going to get at least one choice you don't care for, sort've sucks.

The campaign seems to be a replica of the first, which I'm not complaining I like. I've heard people who said they just shot through it on casual (the easiest setting) in about 15 hours not searching for COG tags or any sort've extras. So the game play is a good bit longer considering I had 7 on the original.

They did a much better job with the sounds of the weapons, and the look. (though don't bother getting to excited over the "golden" weapons as they're more yellow than gold. The levels still carry the same appeal, though now their is more than one level that you can die as a result of the enviroment. One level, aptly named avalanche has just that a huge avalance that can kill any character un protected by cover. Another level called...and you would never guess hail. Well that's pretty self explanitory.

I have several other likes/dislikes but I'll leave the floor open for someone else.

[B]Edit:[/B] I couldn't end this post without mentioning horde mode. The best online multiplayer mode ever, and I don't just mean related to GOW

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Finally got to sit down and play this, I just finished a marathon Multiplayer game and I must say I'm sort've dissapointed. They used the same engine that Halo3 used and I don't care for it.[/quote]

What have you been smoking? Halo 3 most certainly did NOT use the Unreal 3 Engine, which is what Gears of War 2, as well as the previous game and Unreal Tournament 3, used.

In fact, Halo 3 used an in-house created engine titled, the Halo 3 Engine.

Bungie...not a real creative lot, eh?

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Not the gameplay engine, I'm refering to the matchmaking engine.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay engine? There is no such thing.

And when people use engine in reference to videogames, it is pretty much assured they are referring to the graphics. I have yet to hear it used in reference to the matchmaking service.

• 5 months later...
I have to retract some of the things I've said about Gears now that I've had the time to play more of the campaign mode itself instead of the multiplayer aspect of the game.

First I want to quote something James said that was the main reason why I didn't like Gears the first time I played.

[quote name='James]Gameplay: This is definitely the most important element and I think it's where the game shines. I can see how some wouldn't be terribly interested in the gameplay because despite being quite frantic, [b']Gears of War is still relatively slow-paced in a sense. It's not as free and easy as a regular FPS, so the added restriction might annoy some.[/b][/quote]
Like I've stated before in another thread, the stop and pop (or coverfire) method was not doing it for me when I first played it. I'm more of a run and gun type of person... Goldeneye/Halo.

Now that I've gotten more used to it though, it's not so bad. I've even come to like it a little more, but I still prefer the more fast paced stuff.

The characters.. Forget that. Marcus Fenix is probably one of the greatest characters to be created in a FPS. He plays that leadership role quite nicely, and whoever does the voice for him is spot on. It fits him perfectly.

Graphics are great, no doubt about it. I don't even need to speak on it really lol. Character models could use a makeover, somewhat, well, facial structures I mean.

Um.. Now where I'm at in the game.... I don't know lol. I just started driving. Trying to get used to driving again since the last game I played that invovled driving vehicles was Halo, and it's been a long time since I've played it. The part before all of that, while easy was a tad bit annoying. [spoiler]I hated the security system's weapons being used on me so much.[/spoiler] Took me a while to figure out how I was suppose to go through everything.

I'm thinking about buying the first Gears of War now, but I've definately gotten a lot more interested in the FPS games in general. I still want to get Halo 3 that's for sure. I think I may even get into the Call of Duty games, but then again, army based has never been my thing so I may do the Rainbow Six games instead. We'll see as time press on.