OtakuBoards

Scrabble game teaches kids swearwords

Rachmaninoff

I saw this article over at theOtaku and couldn't help but laugh at it. If you want the full details just take a look:

[URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092613/Mothers-fury-Nintendo-Scrabble-game-taught-son-swear-words.html"][U][FONT="Arial"]Mother's fury over Nintendo Scrabble game that taught her son a string of vile swear words[/FONT][/U][/URL]

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like swearing is the end of the world, but if a company is advertising a game for ages 3+ Then having the AI using words like f*rs isn't going to go over very well with parents. =P

Apparently Ubisoft said: 'We are sorry the game has caused concern, but it includes a "junior" option that stops it using unusual or offensive words.' Uh yeah, sure, but if that's the case, rating the game 3+ is rather misleading.

Yes it would be much better to use the rating. M: For mature Language E: For Everyone. First of all that would be silly, there's only so much room in the ratings area. Secondally that is why you should read the manual before playing any game.

Sadly enough, they wouldn't boost the ratings much higher these days even with no swear word cutting option. These days kids here worse language on television then any game, but if she talks to her child about the words and starts using the junior option she wouldn't have anything to worry about..

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Apparently Ubisoft said: 'We are sorry the game has caused concern, but it includes a "junior" option that stops it using unusual or offensive words.' Uh yeah, sure, but if that's the case, rating the game 3+ is rather misleading.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Technically, it's no longer Ubisoft's problem at that point. It's negligence on the rating board's behalf.

Of course, it was completely stupid and irresponsible not to warn the rating board that those words are allowed in the game, to say nothing about including them in the first place.[/FONT]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden]First of all that would be silly, there's only so much room in the ratings area. Secondally that is why you should read the manual before playing any game. [/QUOTE]Nice idea but, you have to purchase the game and open it to access the manual. Most parents like to know this [I]before[/I] they even purchase it. =P[QUOTE=Matt]Is it disturbing if I would, without any hesitation, put that game under my kid's Christmas tree?[/QUOTE]Unless your profile info is wrong, you don't even have kids. lol[QUOTE=Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"']Of course, it was completely stupid and irresponsible not to warn the rating board that those words are allowed in the game, to say nothing about including them in the first place.[/FONT][/quote]That's really the main point. Them neglecting to say... by the way, this is in the game! If it had at least included that info where you could see that was there before buying and opening it (the junior option that is) there probably wouldn't be any fuss.

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm mainly surprised the game allows those words in the first place. Every version of Scrabble I've ever played doesn't allow slang.[/color][/QUOTE]

I agree... As far as I can recall, scrabble only allows words from the dictionary - at least in the real game. I have not been playing much PC scrabble games, and yet I'll also assume that they use "real" words...

What were the developers of the game thinking? :O

[COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Tahoma"]Even if it's in the dictionary, most parents I know, including mine, don't consider those words 3+ More like PG-13+ o_O If the rating had been more accurate it probably wouldn't have mattered at all. Though I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't want their 13 year olds seeing those words either. At least not around here. >_>[/FONT][/COLOR]