OtakuBoards

Discussion in Connotation: Dorks, Geeks, and Nerds

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933CC]So, as someone who routinely thinks of herself as an anime nerd, and a school nerd, and as someone who uses "dork" affectionately, I was wondering what you think the connotation in all three words are.

For me, a "dork" is generally less intelligent than either a geek or a nerd. I see a dork as someone who is socially awkward, and a little clumsy, but "cute" in a way.

Between the other two, I can't really decide if a nerd or a geek is more intelligent, and what the difference is between them, really. Any opinions?[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Lol, odd question.

Anyway, I don't think any of them are really degrading, I use the word 'dork' all the time. I constantly refer to myself as a dork, but its not a bad thing. :p

I always thought of those kids from the movies with the pants way up to there belly botton, a pocket protector, and a the thick black glasses with the white tap in the center holding them together when I thought of a 'geek'. Lol.[/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms] I've never used any of those words in a negative way, I usually say it with affection.

To me a dork is someone who just says awkward things, and geek/nerd means someone randomly obsessed with some subject/academically talented kid. [/font]

I definitely label myself as a geek,considering my knowledge/obsession with things like anime, Doctor Who, and music.

My personal definition of "dork" is more along the lines of someone with a pretty low understanding of something. I tend to use it as a softer term for "idiot" or "moron".

[quote name='chibi-master']Geek...well, the stereotypical movie versions. Like the example mentioned earlier! Also, geek=nerd.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that necessarily. A geek is someone who is totally obsessed with something (remember the old Beat the Geeks game show on Comedy Central?) I think of a nerd as someone who is obsessed, but who's obsession translates as knowledge of things that are actually useful, like computers, and not trivial geek fare. But maybe that's just me. :animesmil

[quote name='Roxie Faye'][color=#9933CC]For me, a "dork" is generally less intelligent than either a geek or a nerd. I see a dork as someone who is socially awkward, and a little clumsy, but "cute" in a way.

Between the other two, I can't really decide if a nerd or a geek is more intelligent, and what the difference is between them, really. Any opinions?[/color][/QUOTE]
I agree with your definition, but I think of a nerd as someone who is intelligent in less traditional subjects. (EX: Anime/Manga, TV Trivia, Music, etc) And I think of a geek as someone who is extremely intelligent when it comes to math, science, english, etc...

But really, I've never heard the words used negatively. I think it depends on the way people use them, I guess. But I'm proud to say that I'm all three of those. (At least by my definition)

[color=#9933CC]chibi-master: haha, yeah, that came up when I looked up the actual definitions. In that context, it reminds me of Australian slang, for some reason. (No offense to anyone Australian. It just *sounds* that way, to me.)

Darren - You know, I think you're right. I would call myself an anime nerd, but when I talk with all my friends who are science majors, we say "science geeks." =)[/color]

[quote name='TimeChaser']I wouldn't say that necessarily. A geek is someone who is totally obsessed with something (remember the old Beat the Geeks game show on Comedy Central?) I think of a nerd as someone who is obsessed, but who's obsession translates as knowledge of things that are actually useful, like computers, and not trivial geek fare. But maybe that's just me. :animesmil[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't mean that that was he defenition right out of the dictionary. I just mean that it was what popped into my head at the mention of the word. Sorry if I caused you any confusion.:animeswea

[quote name='chibi-master']Well, I didn't mean that that was he defenition right out of the dictionary. I just mean that it was what popped into my head at the mention of the word. Sorry if I caused you any confusion.:animeswea[/QUOTE]

It's OK, no confusion. :animesmil Everyone has their own definition. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
My opinion. Dork i agree is a clumsy socially awkward person. I am a dork. I am also a geek which i believe is the one that refers to a intelligent knowledgeable person. Unfortunately personally i have found that being a geek means that you also have "no common sense" or so my family says. Nerd i think is the obsession of the object placed before it. For example i am a vampire loving, star trek watching, bad anime enjoying nerd. :animeshy: yeah i know i got problems. Oh well.

[SIZE="1"]I'm with everyone else on 'dork'. My boyfriend calls me a dork all the time, after I do something spastic (again, all the time).

I'm actually the opposite to [B]Darren[/B] in my immediate thoughts on a geek/nerd.

To me, a [B]geek[/B] is someone obsessed with sci-fi/anime/video-games etc to an unhealthy level. Like, I enjoy a lot of things and have my obsessions, but I wouldn't bestow the honour upon myself of saying I'm a geek. To me, a geek is an EXPERT title. You have to sacrifice things like food and general hygiene or something to watch that Star Trek marathon.

[B]Nerd[/B] is science/maths and other such intelligent, academic pursuits to do with numbers and equations. Again, applies when someone goes above and beyond the required knowledge in a subject.

I honestly don't know if that's the official(??) definition for any of these things, it's just what springs to mind immediately. But someone could interchange geek/nerd and I would still know what they meant.

Interestingly, Firefox objects to me typing 'geek' but not 'nerd'. HM.
[/SIZE]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]In my 'culture', these terms seem to be used rather differently than anything I've read so far.

'Dork' is an affectionate rebuff that isn't used very often.

A 'nerd' is someone who is enthusiastic about some subject of knowledge, usually maths/science/english/history/anything. The term 'nerd' is used usually by people who know absolutely nothing at all, as a jealous insult. In this case, it means 'someone who knows something I don't' (which is anything at all.)

If it's only [U]technological[/u] knowledge/enthusiasm they possess, they are a geek. This term is a pretty high compliment. [/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='chibi-master']Hrm...I see. In that case, I'll take your word for it and fix that mistake immediately.[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Stop making mistakes about penises. That's a terrible path to start down.

I love anime, maps, history, visual novels, and other things not too cool. Also, I do love corgis. Corgis. . . I'm not sure there is a correlation between dorkdom and loving Pembroke Welsh Corgis. If anything, that kind of adoration of an awesome dog breed should only improve your social standing with your peers.

I don't consider myself socially awkward enough to be a stereotypical geek or nerd. The three terms have a negative connotation to me where either some kind of hobby associated with a particular subculture (anime), intellectual pursuits, or general awkwardness mixed with some of the above interferes with the "normality" of the person.[/color]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

Geek and nerd should not be used interchangeably. A person's geekiness is directly related to how obsessed a person is or how much time a person spends on a particular hobby, generally something that has no particular relevance. A geek only obtains knowledge by sheer incident and familiarity with the subject due to his obsession.

A nerd, however, is rated by the level of knowledge he posesses, not the time or obsession put into pursuit. For example, collecting every pokemon figurine would make you a geek. Knowing every pokemon's evolutionary tree and also knowing which levels they evolve at would make you a nerd.

You can be both a geek and a nerd at the same time, and the terms could apply to the same subject. Just remember:

Geekiness relates to the amount of time spent/level of obsession.
Nerdiness relates to the amount of knowledge of the subject.

[/SIZE][/FONT]