OtakuBoards

OTAKON '08: the saga continues...

Dragonboym2

[COLOR="Blue"]Hey out there.
Ever since the summer of 2000, I go down to Baltimore for Otakon, one of the biggest anime cons on the east coast. Or maybe the U.S.
Last summer's Otakon was one for the ages.
During my latest return, I was very lucky to get accepted into the masquerade.
Wow. Me in the masquerade? I didn't even think that my act would get excepted.
Most of the masquerade stuff I've seen have amazing outfits, dancing, huge props, all kinds of crazy antics. My act is just me onstage. With a microphone. Telling jokes.
The evening of the masquerade was not as nerve wracking as I thought it would be. I hung out backstage with the other preformers, watching the preformences of the others on the tv.
I spent that time going over my jokes. I didn't want to look stupid going out reading my jokes off a piece of paper. I found myself watching a few acts, and after seeing "Flute Link" my thoughts were "How am I ever gonna follow THAT!?" I felt like my act was really lacking compaired to that one.
At last the big moment came. The announcer read my intro, and I walked out on to the stage. I looked out on the audience.
The entire place was packed. I had no idea how many people were watching me.
Nine-hundred? A thousand? More than that?
I went to work on my act, telling my jokes.
"You know if you an otaku if you want to see some Edward Alric on colonel mustang action." I began. That joke got some good cheers. "You know if your an otaku if your building a giant robot of some kind in your garage." Etc. etc.
To my surprise, my act went very well. I didn't think I'd get such a good response from everyone.

That was one the greatest exsperiences of my life.

The rest of the weekend was just as fun. I met up and hung out with a friend of mine from back home. We even went out to a night club that was having a cosplay contest. (BTW Baltimore goes nuts around Otakon. It's like everyone gets into it.)
I never been to a club before.
The rest of the con was amazing. I got meet some of the guests, I met many interesting people, the whole thing.
Oh yeah, I spent over $600 on stuff at the dealers room.
I'm looking forward to next time[/COLOR].

• 4 months later...
Hey all. This is kind of last-minute, but is anyone still going to Otakon and checking this thread? We could try organizing some sort of meet-up if you want. I'd be willing to do it, the only problem is if I'm in charge and then suddenly get busy with panel staffing I might not be able to make it. Then again, I know nothing about staffing so maybe I could ditch them for a while.