OtakuBoards

Nation of Cowards?

Kisaoda

So America's newly appointed Attorney General, Eric Holder, believes that America is [URL="http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Story?id=6905255&page=2"][u]"a nation of cowards"[/u][/URL]. Why? Because we don't spend our time away from work and school to be 'socially integrated' with other races.

Erm. What?

So what are your opinions? Is the skin color of our friends really our fault? Are we subconsciously choosing our friends with racist undertones? Or is this guy just kinda full of it and needs to get over himself?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think it's fair to say that to a certain extent, no one is colorblind. people tend to flock towards familiar traits and shy away from unfamiliar ones, unfortunately. Obviously, that's going to affect how you pick and choose your friends.

That being said, the man needs to shove it. The Attorney General's job is to be an adviser in legal matters. He doesn't get to advise me about how to spend my free time or who I buddy up with.

Why does it seem like a lot of Obama's new recruits love pulling the race card on us?[/FONT]

Both of you are taking the guy out of context. This is related to Black History Month so naturally he's going to bring up social relations, here's the full deal: [URL="http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2009/ag-speech-090218.html?loc=interstitialskip"][U]Remarks[/U][/URL] [quote name='Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"']That being said, the man needs to shove it. The Attorney General's job is to be an adviser in legal matters. He doesn't get to advise me about how to spend my free time or who I buddy up with.[/FONT][/quote]Normally I would agree, but again this isn't about legal matters. The only thing that gets me is the mingling aspect. I live in a state where the population is less than 2% African American. It's a little hard to mingle when there literally aren't many to mingle with. I for one will not be moving just so I can be more integrated so to speak. That would be silly. I understand the sentiment, but it needs to be grounded in reality.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I understand the sentiment, but it needs to be grounded in reality.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts completely. Yes, I'm well aware that racism is still around (though arguably not as prominent as some may believe it to be), and that is a sad and pitiful fact. However, he does need to be more grounded in reality. Is he really expecting us to be mentally conscious of the skin color of the people we interact, let alone make friends with? It's a bit off a basis in reality, and, frankly, I am a bit offended that he should presume that I am somehow a worse person because I don't.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Being someone from the northern Bay Area in California, mingling is normal, natural, and unavoidable. For Eric Holder [a jerk by the way] to lecture ME of all people on the evils of not being interracial is moronic.

He's feeling guilty for some reason because he's just got a job that's quite frankly the kind that will make him wealthy, so he takes out his feelings by lecturing the rest of America until he feels better about himself. I think I speak for most of my multicultural [by virtue of their free will] friends when I tell Mr. Holder to, and I quote here.

"Drink, Drive, and Die."[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Kisaoda']Is he really expecting us to be mentally conscious of the skin color of the people we interact, let alone make friends with? It's a bit off a basis in reality, and, frankly, I am a bit offended that he should presume that I am somehow a worse person because I don't.[/quote]And here I always understood that the idea was to [I]not[/I] think about superficial details such as one's skin color. You make friends and socialize based on who you get along with. That's how I was raised by my parents.

The whole article is, in my opinion, a bit heavy handed on the [I]you should feel guilty since I think you are still racist[/I] spiel. I have no doubt that people are since I only have to look at some of my relatives to see it. Some of them are so racist that it's sad.

But! I can only see the nation of cowards as a statement directed towards those people who really [I]are[/I]. Like the rest of us who don't shut out others, I'm going to ignore the jab since I don't see it as being directed at me anyway.

I'm only sorry I can't see some of my relatives reaction to it. I just know they're frothing at the mouth. They already are over the idea of Obama being president and for some reason, I find that terribly amusing. It's like watching five year olds throw a temper tantrum. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Seeing as how I live in a place where there aren't many colored people (there's only a few colored kids at school. I want to say four, but I'm not sure) I don't think I choose friends based on race. Anyhow, I kind of find it odd that someone appointed America's Attourney General is complaining about the country he's serving.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][quote name='Aberinkula][FONT="Tahoma"']Anyhow, I kind of find it odd that someone appointed America's Attourney General is complaining about the country he's serving.[/FONT][/quote]He's giving a speech for Black History month. =P

I'm sure there are areas in the US where what he's talking about is a problem. However like Rach already pointed out there isn't a high percentage here so it's not a case of avoiding, it's a case of there literally aren't that many.
[/COLOR][/FONT]