OtakuBoards

Best Buy: No More Anime!?!?

Dragonboym2

[COLOR="Blue"]Hey out there everyone.

So the other day, a guy whom I met up at an otaku themed party at a bar, told me that there was a sale on anime at Best Buy.
Well, I dropped by a Best Buy in my area, and there was this 50% off sale on anime there. The store was getting rid of it's anime section.
I was upset about this, because most anime I get comes from Best Buy.
There's an anime store not to far from my place, but they don't have everything, and newberry comics only gets what anime they can.
So I asked them to call another Best Buy in the area, and they were having a sale too. But it was a sale on select anime titles. That's good to hear.
The problem I have reguarding this is that nearly every store that sells movies and all is bankrupt on the verge of it because Best Buy has been killing it in the market.
Suncoast is gone, Circuit City is gone, and FYE is nearly out of business.
Has there been any anime sales at Best Buys around your neck of the woods?
Have your Best Buys gotten rid of their anime?
What do you think? [/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

I haven't heard anything about that at the Best Buy near me, I just recently bought some Death Note (It came with a Ryuk figurine, so I couldn't help myself), and I didn't notice any sale signs.

Maybe it's only specific Best Buys, or possibly only specific titles?

That would be pretty crappy though, because Best Buy is my main supplier.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Where I'm at I'm REALLY limited since the nearest Best Buy is 45 minutes away by horseless carriage.

I do a LOT of online purchasing, which I know isn't an option for some of the younger crowd. According to Best Buy's website yoursale must've been an inventory thing, because they still have plenty online.

[color=#4B0082]There was some [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-03/best-buy-anime-sale-store-list][u]news[/u][/url] about this posted on ANN a few days ago. A lot of Best Buy stores will be cutting back their selection of anime to only the most popular titles.

Surprisingly, the one in my city is not on the list. Though I'm not even sure if anywhere else in town carries anime, so they may be getting all of the local sales. Not that I much care, since everything I've seen in Best Buy that I'm interested in buying can be gotten cheaper online.[/color]

This is the first I've heard of it...:animedepr

Doesn't really affect me too much, though. I almost never buy anime since my parents would probably not approve of whichever series for one reason or another. So my main anime supplier is YouTube...sad, isn't it? :animecry:

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]I understand that they're just cutting back. Since I don't get my anime from there, I don't know if the store here is doing it or not. o_O We tend to get stuff through Amazon and sellers there. Well, when we actually do buy it which isn't very often. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I can understand this because only certain chain stores carry it. When Suncost movie stores were closed in the malls here, the sister store FYE took one the role and they dont sell even half of what suncoast did. Some stuff they dont sell Then you have Best Buy and Borders or if it hasnt dropped the name completly AKA Hawley-Cooke(showing age here) book sellers. Online will be the only choice for some stuff. Beg mama and daddy to order it for you. It really does suck. But thats how its getting with the world and thats the only way I got my Daria box set.

I've heard about this, but since any stuff I get is purchased online, I don't know if they are doing the sale here or not. It is a shame that they are cutting back, but if they're not getting much in the way of sales, can you really blame them?

Also, I just looked at that list Des linked too, looks like a number of stores in the surrounding towns is having the sale but not the one closest to where I live. Ironically, I never shop at the place. o_O

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Rachmaninoff']Also, I just looked at that list Des linked too, looks like a number of stores in the surrounding towns is having the sale but not the one closest to where I live. Ironically, I never shop at the place. o_O[/quote]And I totally missed the link in Dessy's post. Uh... oops? ^^ If that list turns out to be accurate (since there's a follow up that says it's not the final list) then the one here is on it. I guess I'd have to look at Sunday's ad or actually go to the store to be sure.

But since we really don't shop there for anime, I probably won't go and look. Still, it is kind of sad to see. With the economy and all, seems like you're constantly hearing about places closing their doors or slashing what they carry. :animesigh[/FONT][/COLOR]

Wow, I had no idea. My roommate had mentioned a store in Williamsburg having a sale, but i had no idea it was because they were cutting back. In northern VA, no Best Buy's are having a sale.

I noticed today Target had picked up a lot of titles that I haven't previously seen there, but it was very mainstream stuff like Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist.

• 3 weeks later...
Best Buy is far enough away from my house that I don't head over there too often, but one of the main things I do while there is browse the anime section. I couldn't tell you if the one's in Kansas were kicking out their anime, though. D: Due to this thread, I might have to go check it out.

After the SunCoast stores around died out, FYE is all that's left as far as big stores that carry anime. That place won't last, I have a feeling.

I tend to buy my anime from Borders, or a cheapy store close to my house called Vintage Stock.. it's a pretty darn good anime supplier.