OtakuBoards

Hip-Hop

eleanor

[font=trebuchet ms] I've recently started to download some hip-hop songs and I wanted to see if anyone here had good foundation songs/playlists to offer.

I mean I have all the recent, mainstream popular artists (T.I., Ne-Yo, Flo Rida, Lil Wayne, T-Pain, NERD, etc.). I've been starting to download artists like Talib Kweli and Little Brother, and downloading old songs of Nas and such... yeah, sorta random list of artists, but I guess you get the point.

Or like, use this thread to talk about hip-hop in general. [/font]

[quote name='John']1. Delete all of this
2. Replace with Edan, '90s hardcore, and anything with Prince Paul
3. Win[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] NOOO I love my vapid, catchy Flo Rida songs too much. What else would we play at clubs?

I'll check out those two, though.

My favorite results have been from typing in "cwalk songs" into Google and seeing all the playlists people put up for it ahahaha. I've actually started to practice some basics of cwalking because of the songs, hopefully I'll get better.

Anywho I just discovered A Tribe Called Quest. <3[/font]

My opinion on Quest is pretty conflicted. On [I]The Low-End Theory, [/I]Shaheed's beats are fantastic, but Phife and Tip's lyrics--which almost solely consist of them talking about how great their lyrics are--border on Kanye levels of arrogance. I really want to like that album, but the more I listen, the less I can stand the blatant hypocrisy.

Also, Tip has no idea what "abstract" means.

From the cursory glances I've given [I]Midnight Marauders[/I], it seems to be a bit more inventive lyrically and varied tonally.

[quote name='John']

From the cursory glances I've given [I]Midnight Marauders[/I], it seems to be a bit more inventive lyrically and varied tonally.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] I've only listened to Midnight Marauders, but from what I've read/heard I think it's Quest's A-game album. I pretty much love Award Tour. [/font]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Listen to none of these people. Except maybe step 2 of John's plan.

Download the following.

Jay-Z
Nas
Wu-Tang Clan
Hieroglyphics
Del The Funky Homosapien
A Tribe Called Quest
The Pharcyde
Souls of Mischief
Aesop Rock
Peanut Butter Wolf
Madlib
DangerDoom
MF Doom
Danger Mouse
Killa Army (or Killarmy)
The Game
Chamillionaire
Slim Thug

That should be good for a while.[/color][/size]

[font=trebuchet ms] Thanks, man. This will give me some good procrastination material. :animesmil

I really like Nas and A Tribe Called Quest so far, and I randomly already have a ton of Jay-Z on my iTunes already lol. Guess I'll get started on Wu-Tang Clan first, since a bunch of people have told me to so far.

Random notes: "***** that Hipster *****" by Grip Plyaz is my new favorite song hahaha[/font]

[SIZE="1"]Hm, most artists after 2001 aren't worth listening to. After that, it's no longer hip hop. It's mostly rap crap. I would stick with Lil' Wayne though and look for some of his mixtapes.

Personally, I'm a good fan of Salt-N-Pepa, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Missy Elliot, older Eve stuff, Lil' Wayne, and Lady Sovereign. I stray away from newer music[/SIZE].

[YOUTUBE]7r0KpWMNxnM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8eJ3KD3p1Jc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cASLfP6mkC0[/YOUTUBE]

[color=crimson]Aesop Rock, Edan, El-P, Wu-Tang Clan, DMX, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Lil' Wayne, Sole, Cage, MFDoom, MURS, and Mr. Lif also get play in my life.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight']

[color=crimson]Aesop Rock, Edan, El-P, Wu-Tang Clan, DMX, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Lil' Wayne, Sole, Cage, MFDoom, MURS, and Mr. Lif also get play in my life.[/color][/QUOTE]

I commend your taste, my good sir. Most excellent.[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]This is me:

Kanye West
Gucci Mane
The Cool Kids
Lil' Wayne
The Hot Boys
Ice Cube
Lonely Island
Danger Mouse
Danger Doom
Jay- Z
Schwayze
N*E*R*D
Flobots
Gorillaz
Birdman
Lil' Will
Asher Roth
Project Pat
Jadakiss
Kid Cudi
Snoop Dogg
2Pac
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
3OH!3

You wouldn't think I like as much hip-hop as I do.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[YOUTUBE=Nyle - "Let The Beat Build"]PglfNDepTyQ[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]
Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Oh, damn. I was coming here to share this and you beat me.

So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Oh, damn. I was coming here to share this and you beat me.

So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color][/QUOTE]

Yeah, also [b]The Roots[/b], who're pretty much like this all the time. I found that vid on Derrick Comedy's YouTube channel while watching "BroRape", but I'd heard of the song before. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Nyle']I don't need no sample, got a girl with a banjo.[/quote] I'm ****ing SOLD.

[quote name='DeathKnight][COLOR=crimson']Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/COLOR][/quote] That camp doesn't deserve to be reasoned with.

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]

So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Every "rap is not music" person I've encountered are either Britney/Beyonce/Lady GaGa stans, so I don't even bother.[/font]

• 1 month later...
Let me see My number one right now is MF DOOM(aka Madvillian, Viktor Vaugn, Nastradoomus[with Nas], DangerDoom[with DangerMouse], Zev Love X[when with KMD], DOOM) but I also listen to Lady Sovereign, BLack Eyed Peas, 80's Early 90's non-Gangsta rap, like Digital Underground, Arested Development, Refugees, Common, Nas, Papoose, Royce Da 5'9. Check out Stones Throw records. SOmetimes its not all mainstream or underground you need to look for.

Most of those Rapp is not music people just dont understand it and are poopheads(for filtration of the profane term) as all rapp is the same as all rock is the same.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]I'll listen to any rap/hip-hop, so long as it's good, but as for "Rap" rap... If it ain't southern-fried, it ain't tried.

DJ Screw (R.I.P.)
Trae
Z-Ro
Bun B
Lil' Keke
Fat Pat
Big Hawk
Big Pokey
Lil' Flip
Slim Thug
Willie D
Scarface
Pimp C
Jay'Ton
Paul Wall
DJ Paul
Juicy J
8Ball & MJG
Lord Infamous
Young Buck
Crunchy Black
Gangsta Boo
Michael Watts
Rick Ross
David Banner
Big Boi
Trick Daddy
Young Jeezy
Jermaine Dupri

The absolute best "Rap" rap comes straight out of Houston, Texas. Bottom of the map.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] Do any of you guys listen to Little Brother? If so, any song recs? I only have their song Watch Me and I want more but I'm also lazy.[/font][/QUOTE]

Get the album "The Minstrel Show". Classic stuff. I know you asked for songs but this is somewhat of a concept album, and definitely worth it.

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

[YOUTUBE=Nyle - "Let The Beat Build"]PglfNDepTyQ[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Holy ****. I'm a huge hip-hop head and I managed to miss this somehow. Thanks for posting. incredible.

Anyway, people just checkin in to say get ready for Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx 2. It's finally coming out in Sept. and the single "Wu Ooh" is great. Throwback to the Wu's golden days.

[quote name='I, Colossus']Get the album "The Minstrel Show". Classic stuff. I know you asked for songs but this is somewhat of a concept album, and definitely worth it.

Holy ****. I'm a huge hip-hop head and I managed to miss this somehow. Thanks for posting. incredible.

Anyway, people just checkin in to say get ready for Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx 2. It's finally coming out in Sept. and the single "Wu Ooh" is great. Throwback to the Wu's golden days.[/QUOTE]
I used to be a huge hip hop head. Though since I started listening to hardcore and metalcore and stuff like that, I've kinda also stopped listening to hip hop as much. But I still have a huge knowledge and repitoire of hip hop artists, popular, classic, and underground, and on the history of hip hop.

[/color][/size]