eleanor Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [font=trebuchet ms] I've recently started to download some hip-hop songs and I wanted to see if anyone here had good foundation songs/playlists to offer. I mean I have all the recent, mainstream popular artists (T.I., Ne-Yo, Flo Rida, Lil Wayne, T-Pain, NERD, etc.). I've been starting to download artists like Talib Kweli and Little Brother, and downloading old songs of Nas and such... yeah, sorta random list of artists, but I guess you get the point. Or like, use this thread to talk about hip-hop in general. [/font]
John Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms]I have all the recent, mainstream popular artists[/FONT][/quote] 1. Delete all of this 2. Replace with Edan, '90s hardcore, and anything with Prince Paul 3. Win
Nerdsy Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [center][YOUTUBE="Hiphopopotamus"]FArZxLj6DLk[/YOUTUBE][/center] [color=deeppink]Hip hop you say?[/color]
Botar Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [COLOR="DarkGreen"] Well, I don't know if you guys heard of this guy, he's not that popular. His name is MC Hammer. But seriously, I don't listen to hip-hop, i'm a Ska kinda guy.[/COLOR]
John Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]Hip hop you say?[/COLOR][/quote] I see your Conchords and raise you a Boosh: [center][youtube]BAirI7x2w1E[/youtube][/center]
pooperson Posted April 20, 2009 Posted April 20, 2009 [SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]My recent contribution to hip-hop: I played my guitar at a coffeehouse on Saturday. One of the songs I performed was T-Pain's "Buy U A Draaaank". It was super cool.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
eleanor Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 [quote name='John']1. Delete all of this 2. Replace with Edan, '90s hardcore, and anything with Prince Paul 3. Win[/QUOTE] [font=trebuchet ms] NOOO I love my vapid, catchy Flo Rida songs too much. What else would we play at clubs? I'll check out those two, though. My favorite results have been from typing in "cwalk songs" into Google and seeing all the playlists people put up for it ahahaha. I've actually started to practice some basics of cwalking because of the songs, hopefully I'll get better. Anywho I just discovered A Tribe Called Quest. <3[/font]
John Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 My opinion on Quest is pretty conflicted. On [I]The Low-End Theory, [/I]Shaheed's beats are fantastic, but Phife and Tip's lyrics--which almost solely consist of them talking about how great their lyrics are--border on Kanye levels of arrogance. I really want to like that album, but the more I listen, the less I can stand the blatant hypocrisy. Also, Tip has no idea what "abstract" means. From the cursory glances I've given [I]Midnight Marauders[/I], it seems to be a bit more inventive lyrically and varied tonally.
eleanor Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 [quote name='John'] From the cursory glances I've given [I]Midnight Marauders[/I], it seems to be a bit more inventive lyrically and varied tonally.[/QUOTE] [font=trebuchet ms] I've only listened to Midnight Marauders, but from what I've read/heard I think it's Quest's A-game album. I pretty much love Award Tour. [/font]
Zen Posted April 22, 2009 Posted April 22, 2009 [color=royalblue][size=1] Listen to none of these people. Except maybe step 2 of John's plan. Download the following. Jay-Z Nas Wu-Tang Clan Hieroglyphics Del The Funky Homosapien A Tribe Called Quest The Pharcyde Souls of Mischief Aesop Rock Peanut Butter Wolf Madlib DangerDoom MF Doom Danger Mouse Killa Army (or Killarmy) The Game Chamillionaire Slim Thug That should be good for a while.[/color][/size]
eleanor Posted April 22, 2009 Author Posted April 22, 2009 [font=trebuchet ms] Thanks, man. This will give me some good procrastination material. :animesmil I really like Nas and A Tribe Called Quest so far, and I randomly already have a ton of Jay-Z on my iTunes already lol. Guess I'll get started on Wu-Tang Clan first, since a bunch of people have told me to so far. Random notes: "***** that Hipster *****" by Grip Plyaz is my new favorite song hahaha[/font]
Binxy Posted April 25, 2009 Posted April 25, 2009 [SIZE="1"]Hm, most artists after 2001 aren't worth listening to. After that, it's no longer hip hop. It's mostly rap crap. I would stick with Lil' Wayne though and look for some of his mixtapes. Personally, I'm a good fan of Salt-N-Pepa, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Missy Elliot, older Eve stuff, Lil' Wayne, and Lady Sovereign. I stray away from newer music[/SIZE].
DeathKnight Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 [YOUTUBE]7r0KpWMNxnM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]8eJ3KD3p1Jc[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cASLfP6mkC0[/YOUTUBE] [color=crimson]Aesop Rock, Edan, El-P, Wu-Tang Clan, DMX, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Lil' Wayne, Sole, Cage, MFDoom, MURS, and Mr. Lif also get play in my life.[/color]
Zen Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='DeathKnight'] [color=crimson]Aesop Rock, Edan, El-P, Wu-Tang Clan, DMX, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Lil' Wayne, Sole, Cage, MFDoom, MURS, and Mr. Lif also get play in my life.[/color][/QUOTE] [color=royalblue][size=1] I commend your taste, my good sir. Most excellent.[/color][/size]
Nomurah! Posted May 3, 2009 Posted May 3, 2009 [SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]This is me: Kanye West Gucci Mane The Cool Kids Lil' Wayne The Hot Boys Ice Cube Lonely Island Danger Mouse Danger Doom Jay- Z Schwayze N*E*R*D Flobots Gorillaz Birdman Lil' Will Asher Roth Project Pat Jadakiss Kid Cudi Snoop Dogg 2Pac Soulja Boy Tell 'Em 3OH!3 You wouldn't think I like as much hip-hop as I do. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Zen Posted May 3, 2009 Posted May 3, 2009 [color=royalblue][size=1] [YOUTUBE=Nyle - "Let The Beat Build"]PglfNDepTyQ[/YOUTUBE] Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size]
DeathKnight Posted May 4, 2009 Posted May 4, 2009 [quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1] Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size][/QUOTE] [color=crimson]Oh, damn. I was coming here to share this and you beat me. So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color]
Zen Posted May 4, 2009 Posted May 4, 2009 [quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Oh, damn. I was coming here to share this and you beat me. So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color][/QUOTE] [color=royalblue][size=1] Yeah, also [b]The Roots[/b], who're pretty much like this all the time. I found that vid on Derrick Comedy's YouTube channel while watching "BroRape", but I'd heard of the song before. [/color][/size]
John Posted May 4, 2009 Posted May 4, 2009 [quote name='Nyle']I don't need no sample, got a girl with a banjo.[/quote] I'm ****ing SOLD. [quote name='DeathKnight][COLOR=crimson']Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/COLOR][/quote] That camp doesn't deserve to be reasoned with.
eleanor Posted May 4, 2009 Author Posted May 4, 2009 [quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson] So, yeah. Good counter defense, in my opinion, to the "rap is not music" camp.[/color][/QUOTE] [font=trebuchet ms] Every "rap is not music" person I've encountered are either Britney/Beyonce/Lady GaGa stans, so I don't even bother.[/font]
Jax Rhapsody Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 Let me see My number one right now is MF DOOM(aka Madvillian, Viktor Vaugn, Nastradoomus[with Nas], DangerDoom[with DangerMouse], Zev Love X[when with KMD], DOOM) but I also listen to Lady Sovereign, BLack Eyed Peas, 80's Early 90's non-Gangsta rap, like Digital Underground, Arested Development, Refugees, Common, Nas, Papoose, Royce Da 5'9. Check out Stones Throw records. SOmetimes its not all mainstream or underground you need to look for. Most of those Rapp is not music people just dont understand it and are poopheads(for filtration of the profane term) as all rapp is the same as all rock is the same.
Mr. Maul Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]I'll listen to any rap/hip-hop, so long as it's good, but as for "Rap" rap... If it ain't southern-fried, it ain't tried. DJ Screw (R.I.P.) Trae Z-Ro Bun B Lil' Keke Fat Pat Big Hawk Big Pokey Lil' Flip Slim Thug Willie D Scarface Pimp C Jay'Ton Paul Wall DJ Paul Juicy J 8Ball & MJG Lord Infamous Young Buck Crunchy Black Gangsta Boo Michael Watts Rick Ross David Banner Big Boi Trick Daddy Young Jeezy Jermaine Dupri The absolute best "Rap" rap comes straight out of Houston, Texas. Bottom of the map. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
eleanor Posted July 19, 2009 Author Posted July 19, 2009 [font=trebuchet ms] Do any of you guys listen to Little Brother? If so, any song recs? I only have their song Watch Me and I want more but I'm also lazy.[/font]
I, Colossus Posted July 30, 2009 Posted July 30, 2009 [quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] Do any of you guys listen to Little Brother? If so, any song recs? I only have their song Watch Me and I want more but I'm also lazy.[/font][/QUOTE] Get the album "The Minstrel Show". Classic stuff. I know you asked for songs but this is somewhat of a concept album, and definitely worth it. [quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1] [YOUTUBE=Nyle - "Let The Beat Build"]PglfNDepTyQ[/YOUTUBE] Pretty amazing stuff right here. A great lyricst and a super original song concept.[/color][/size][/QUOTE] Holy ****. I'm a huge hip-hop head and I managed to miss this somehow. Thanks for posting. incredible. Anyway, people just checkin in to say get ready for Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx 2. It's finally coming out in Sept. and the single "Wu Ooh" is great. Throwback to the Wu's golden days.
Zen Posted July 30, 2009 Posted July 30, 2009 [quote name='I, Colossus']Get the album "The Minstrel Show". Classic stuff. I know you asked for songs but this is somewhat of a concept album, and definitely worth it. Holy ****. I'm a huge hip-hop head and I managed to miss this somehow. Thanks for posting. incredible. Anyway, people just checkin in to say get ready for Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx 2. It's finally coming out in Sept. and the single "Wu Ooh" is great. Throwback to the Wu's golden days.[/QUOTE] [color=royalblue][size=1] I used to be a huge hip hop head. Though since I started listening to hardcore and metalcore and stuff like that, I've kinda also stopped listening to hip hop as much. But I still have a huge knowledge and repitoire of hip hop artists, popular, classic, and underground, and on the history of hip hop. [/color][/size]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now