OtakuBoards

Death in the Freddie Mac family

Allamorph

[FONT=Arial]I had a very good discussion with a friend I rarely see around campus today. We went over a plethora of completely unrelated topics, and just sitting and talking for an hour and a half felt great. But during the course of our chat, we'd been discussing economics for a while when my friend alerted me to this bit of news released today at noon.

[URL="http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i0670afSPpeLEmH2SgLHC51kmGJQD97NKN080"][COLOR="Blue"]Freddie Mac official found dead in apparent suicide[/COLOR][/URL].

Given the late events, I'm of very mixed feelings about this incident. On the one hand I'm not sure whether to be surprised, because as the Chief Financial Officer, David Kellerman was more than likely in control of at least some part of what led to the recent economic fiasco. But on the other hand, I simply can't imaging the sheer magnitude of hopelessness that would drive a man?with a family, no less?to take his own life.

Granted, the police only said "apparent" suicide, which means they haven't ruled out foul play just yet, but I feel rather skeptical of speculating down that line of thinking at the moment. And yet....

...ugh. I simply cannot understand feeling like death is the only surcease. Bad situation, especially for his surviving family. Five-year-old daughter....[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]But on the other hand, I simply can't imaging the sheer magnitude of hopelessness that would drive a man?with a family, no less?to take his own life.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That's probably the saddest aspect of that whole level of depression really, even a supporting family isn't enough to save a person from their own sense of worthlessness as a person to the point they see no value in their continued existence. I suppose the guilt over what he had a hand in creating may simply have been too much for him in the end, whatever his crimes if we can call them that I doubt anyone wanted his life in reparation. The fact that his five year old daughter will miss out on her father's influence the rest of his life over this is probably the most tragic aspect of everything.[/SIZE]

[color=#9933cc]It says, too, that he didn't become CFO until after the government took over. The amount of stress involved in that job, with the government watching you at every turn, must be unimaginable for it to drive someone to suicide. =( It's all so tragic.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...