OtakuBoards

Xbox 360 vs XBox 360 Elite

Gavin

[SIZE="1"]Pretty much what it says on the title, I've decided to get my brother and Xbox 360 for his twentieth birthday (which happened to be last month but I was flat broke at the time) and I'm trying to come to a decision regarding whether I should get him the regular standard XBox 360 (Pro/Premium as it's also been labelled) or the more expensive and newer Elite. Resolution isn't an issue because my new HD TV has a VGA input which apparently allows the regular one to reach the same 1080p as the Elite's straight HDMI cable.

What I suppose I really want to know is aside from overall hard-drive capacity is there any reason for me to get the Elite? Reviews seem to state that spec-wise they're identical, having the same noise and heat levels, and that even the difference between HDMI and regular composite isn't noticeable except in rare cases, the same being said for the sound.

Any and all feedback would be welcome.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]To be honest, I would pass on the elite and just buy a regular 360. Having the extra hard-drive space is almost irrelavant unless you are planning on downloading a lot of games off Xbox Live or something of that nature. They both run about the same risk for Red Ring's, so it's just a matter of how much you want to spend on them. I'd say, get a premium 360 and buy some games for your brother with the money you saved. Gives him more to play, y'know?[/FONT]

Not sure how much time you want to spend in getting it, and whether he would mind getting it in parts, but you could do the following, and get an Elite for the price of a Pro (minus the fact that its black and all)

$181.04 - Xbox 360 Arcade - Dell - 6/06/2009
$5.98 - HDMI cable - Monoprice - 6/07/2009
$10.98 - New Xbox 360 Headset - Amazon - 6/24/2009
$65 - Genuine 120GB hard drive - eBay - 7/07/2009

Its one way to save, and if you want, you can still get him some games.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Before they released the elite, they made sure to fix the problems the normal versions were having such as burning rings into the game CDs and the cd drive not going in or coming out. That has been fixed and I myself have an elite and have had no problems with it. It is almost 2 years old and my friend owned it before me. I went through 2 normal xbox's before this and i'm happy i got the Elite its worth it. Plus like goldenboy stated, they have a 3 year warrenty so if something DOES happen, then you're fine.

[SIZE=1]Heh thanks for the additional messages guys, I actually bought the Pro a couple of days after I made this thread because I realised the extra capacity in the hard-drive wasn't that important and the newer Pros have HDMI sockets anyway so it didn't make any difference.[/SIZE]