Rachmaninoff Posted October 4, 2009 Posted October 4, 2009 [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]We all do it. We put off doing an assignment or cleaning up our room or even taking care of errands that need to be dealt with. The question I'm asking here is whether or not you're pretty hard core about putting things off till the last moment, or if it's just something you do from time to time. For example I'm dealing with some students who got the bright idea that spending their spare time playing Halo instead of doing assignments was going to work out somehow. Naturally it's not, they can't go back and earn the grade on the assignments and tests that they failed, they'll either need to pull out or toe the line and earn a low grade for the semester. Personally I'm guilty of it, but for the most part I'm pretty good about keeping on top of stuff, especially anything related to practice, since my day doesn't feel right if I skip that. lol Anyway, what's your level of procrastination and what kind of things do you put off, if any?[/FONT]
eleanor Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [font=trebuchet ms] My procrastination has reached an intensely nerdy level, in that I put off the assingment I'm looking forward to the least by doing a bunch of small things for my other classes that aren't due immediately or even necessary. Whenever I have to write a paper I always procrastinate by deciding to get ahead on reading in another class or type up notes. But in general my theory (for my college) is that every student procrastinates. The only thing that really matters is how long you're willing to stay up and finish the job. [/font]
Nerdsy Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [color=deeppink]I'm a huge procrastinator. Panic is my muse. Hell, most of the time I don't even go to class. I generally works out for me.[/color]
Allamorph Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']I generally works out for me.[/color][/quote] [FONT=Calibri]I see. I am currently attempting to train myself out of said habit. What it stems from is being used to having assignments due every day for AP Cal back in high school, so I'd always do them the night before. I just got used to doing things the night before. But I like time to goof off, and I like time to sleep, so I'm working on shifting doing assignments to the afternoon I get them, or at least (in the case of projects, which I haven't gotten yet) to build them gradually instead of, say, writing Music History papers from ten at night until six in the morning and turning them in five hours later while trying not to collapse. On that note, Mountain Dew is a wonderful thing. Red Bull can go drown itself in Monster.[/FONT]
chibi-master Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 Hmmm? Am I a procrastinator? Well, let's see... I have 2 english assignments, one math assignment and a math test tomorrow that I probably won't study for, a science assignment and an art assignment all due tomorrow. Of course I won't even bother starting the work load until midnight. And it will all be done by class tomorrow. And I will get immaculate grades on everything I turn in. I believe I have truly perfected the art of procrastination here.
eleanor Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri] On that note, Mountain Dew is a wonderful thing. Red Bull can go drown itself in Monster.[/FONT][/QUOTE] [font=trebuchet ms] On that note, it sucks for me because nothing I've tried has actually helped me stay awake. I tried coffee with cream/sugar, black coffee, Monster, Red Bull, Coke, and nothing has worked. I always get too tired to function around five and have to go to sleep. D:[/font]
Allamorph Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [FONT=Calibri]Actually, it isn't really that caffeine keeps me awake. I can endure sleep-deprivation so long as I'm actually doing something, whether it be physically or mentally. So what Mountain Dew does for me is speed my brain up to, like, twice again its normal fuction-level, and that allows me to ward off the urge to crash. It doesn't keep me awake, just better allows me to do so myself. Of course, sitting in classes and taking notes afterwards is usually terrible. Not much you [I]can[/I] think about then. So I have to fight insanely hard, and haven't always won.[/FONT]
chibi-master Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 The only sure way to keep myself awake is through sheer will and the knowledge of what will become of me if I fail to complete my put-off task. But hot chocolate helps.
Nerdsy Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]I see.[/FONT][/QUOTE] [color=deeppink]Never proofreading generally works out for m too.[/color]
Jabberwocky Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 Well... Crap, I have school! I'll post my thoughts later...
Boo Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [size=1]Papers aren't proper papers unless they're finished right before handing 'm in. They're just best straight out of the oven. The best papers are those where the creator still adjusts something in the motion of handing it in.[/size]
eleanor Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Boo'][size=1]Papers aren't proper papers unless they're finished right before handing 'm in. They're just best straight out of the oven. The best papers are those where the creator still adjusts something in the motion of handing it in.[/size][/QUOTE] [font=trebuchet ms] lol FALSE. I tried continuing my "write my paper the night before" shtick at college, and it worked first semester but once I started English-major courses my professors totally laid the smack down on me. For some reason God hated me throughout high school and I was "smart" enough to write papers last minute and still get As. AKA I never learned to really edit what I wrote. Now revising/editing takes up 80% of my paper-writing process. (a/n: This is the THIRD draft of this post. I'm officially a neurotic college student.) Except this will never apply to you if you aren't an English major at an expensive liberal arts college. So don't major in English, or go to an expensive liberal arts college.[/font]
Rachmaninoff Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 [FONT="Trebuchet MS"][QUOTE=Allamorph][FONT=Calibri]Actually, it isn't really that caffeine keeps me awake. I can endure sleep-deprivation so long as I'm actually doing something, whether it be physically or mentally. So what Mountain Dew does for me is speed my brain up to, like, twice again its normal fuction-level, and that allows me to ward off the urge to crash. It doesn't keep me awake, just better allows me to do so myself.[/FONT][/QUOTE]I've noticed the same effect when I have something with caffeine. it doesn't make me feel more awake, it just makes my thinking a little clearer. However depending on how tired I am, sometimes even that isn't enough to keep me awake. [/FONT]
vegeta rocker Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 I can be bad about it at work when its a project I don't want to do. I have a shelf of projects that need to be worked on and have a deadline date typed at the bottom. I will bypass ones that are complex and try and get all the easy stuff done. Of course what happens is all the complex stuff has to get worked on at once thus making it twice as hard as it would have been in the first place. Also I blame Farmville for alot of this as well.
Cat Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 I'm a big procrastinator. I wait until the last minute for almost everything. Only time I don't procrastinate is when I have a test or quiz. This semester group projects I haven't been putting off either. I do homework and so on hours before class. I've done this in high school and still do it now in college with pretty much the same results. My best results are when I wait. As one of my high school teachers used to say It does not matter if you procrastinate. It matters if you can procrastinate well and get good results.
Aaryanna Posted October 10, 2009 Posted October 10, 2009 [FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I try to avoid putting things off since I hate working against a deadline. But at the same time I still end up doing it for certain things. Like I'll do stuff with other people instead of getting homework done first. Not always, but sometimes. I always want to smack myself later when I do though. [/COLOR][/FONT]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now