OtakuBoards

Let's do this the old-fashioned way.

Sara

[size=1]Let's face it, modern life is hella convenient. Ready-made food, mechanical pencils, text messaging, digital photography . . . almost anything a person could want is available pre-made at the store.

What are some things that you still do (even occasionally!) the old-fashioned way?

-----

[center][url=http://www.accoutrements.com/products/10648.html][img]http://www.accoutrements.com/images/products/10648.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

I recently bought a novelty camera, and have been snapping a lot of photos with it. (A few weeks ago, I got my first roll of film developed in what was probably five years.) It's really fun, and I love having the tangible prints in my hand. It's silly and not very complicated, but [i]man[/i] is it a blast. I've been enjoying film photography (even the unexpected, super-cheap novelty kind) so much that I'm planning to buy a used SLR at a pawn shop and start doing it "seriously." (And by "seriously" I mean "just for fun, but more expensively.")
-----

[center][url=http://southerngracegourmet.com/homemade-mayonnaisse/][img]http://southerngracegourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mayo-400x266.png[/img][/url][/center]

I've also heard some really good things about homemade mayonnaise, and I'm thinking about trying it out. It looks pretty easy to make, and all of the testimonials I've read from people who've tried it say that they'll never go back to using store-bought stuff. . . so it sounds pretty good. Next time I have eggs, I'm going to make it and test things out.

-----

What about you?[/size]

Well I can't say that old fashioned mayonaise is something i'm ready for, but one thing I found out about my ex is that canning your own food, instead of mass produced pumped up on pesticides type food, tastes so much better then anything.

Also, they raised and butchered there own chickens (Yes they were backwoods types, see Squalls post in the Weirdos thread for other backwoods type characteristics), and I have to say that dinner at their house was always a treat in itself.

On a side note I tried typing on a manual computer the otherday (typewritter) and I got so aggrevated I tossed the piece of junk out the window....literally (it was a first story so no harm done)

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="1"]I lost all my mechanical pencils, so I'm using an old school Number 2 this week!

I also forgot my camera on my way to Maryland this summer. So I bought two fun savers. I'm getting them developed this weekend, hooray.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']On a side note I tried typing on a manual computer the otherday (typewritter) and I got so aggrevated I tossed the piece of junk out the window....literally (it was a first story so no harm done)[/QUOTE][size=1]Really? I love typewriters. I don't have one at my apartment right now, but next time I visit my parents, I think I'm going to try and bring one back with me.

I love writing letters on typewriters.[/size]

[quote name='Sara'][SIZE=1]Really? I love typewriters. I don't have one at my apartment right now, but next time I visit my parents, I think I'm going to try and bring one back with me. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I love writing letters on typewriters.[/SIZE][/quote]

It's not so much the fact that its a type writer, I just had trouble coping with the fact I had to retype my paper multiple times (I used to have one when I was younger that was digital and you could type a whole line, read it to ensure there were no errors and then hit enter. It would then type what you wrote to prevent that).

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I still rake leaves off our lawns despite my family owning a leaf blower.

In the winter, we usually keep a kettle of water heated on the stove for making tea or cocoa instead of using the microwave.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Wait, people use microwaves to heat water regularly? WTF. I still though teapots and stuff were common.

Also, IDK if this is "old-fashioned," but I pretty much refuse to eat microwave dinners...and microwave-cooked food in general. I just find it sketchy. lol

And on another note, I hate leaf blowers. So obnoxious and unnecessary. [/font]

[size=1]Well, I used the recipe I linked above and tried to make mayonnaise today. I was a little clumsy in the kitchen and made a big mess, but the stuff turned out pretty good. I would probably cut down the amount of vinegar I use next time, and I'm all out of olive oil now, but it was good experience. Now I have mayo for my sandwiches!

I'm pretty pleased with it.[/size]

I still use my old VHS player, if that's not old school I dunno what is. Not only that I still own and use my moms old black and white tv. XD. I even still have the original game systems Original nintendo, super nintendo, sega genisi, dreamcast, playstation one as well. heh, so yeah. I got old school.

I like walking, and can actually enjoy doing it all day, everyday. This is old-fashion because although I don't drive, I know I would hate it if I did. I also prefer to do things like snow removal, and getting rid of leaves by hand, no leaf blowers or plows. I'm actually thinking about starting to Carve wood by hand. It's not really because I'm old-fashion, but I'm not afraid of the dark, at all. Also, other than Anime, I don't watch T.V (it's rare when I watch anything including Anime, but it's all I like when I do), and I don't really play video games. I like to be creativ with everything. I mean sometimes I use a random bar or stick I find outside and put cinder blocks on it to do some weight training. It's better for stability training anyways. The most modern thing about me is liking the MP3 Player, because it doesn't skip, and obviously, the computer but not so much for getting information and learning, I like to do that by observing, and practicing when I can.

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] lol I am! Is that an Asian thing? I never knew.[/font][/QUOTE]

Yeah, because I'm asian, or else I wouldn't have the nerve to say that out loud. ;)

Hey, your mom probably grew up in a world where her mother washed dishes by hand on muddy floors or in a river. lol, I know my mom did, so she thinks it's more practical. And I got to agree, I think it is, too. I always end up washing dishes before putting it into the machine because I don't think some of the stuff would come off.

Ofcourse, I never used the dishwasher either until I got old enough to start noticing it gets pretty grody if you don't use it after a while. So, I make a point to try to remember to use it once a week.

[quote name='visualkei']Yeah, because I'm asian, or else I wouldn't have the nerve to say that out loud. ;)

Hey, your mom probably grew up in a world where her mother washed dishes by hand on muddy floors or in a river. lol, I know my mom did, so she thinks it's more practical. And I got to agree, I think it is, too. I always end up washing dishes before putting it into the machine because I don't think some of the stuff would come off.

Ofcourse, I never used the dishwasher either until I got old enough to start noticing it gets pretty grody if you don't use it after a while. So, I make a point to try to remember to use it once a week.[/QUOTE]

[font=treubhcet ms][size="3"] Yeah my mom's family pretty much grew up during hard times so I definitely know that's just why we do certain things. I think this sort of thing also applies to immigrate families in general.

Like my parents (and be extension, me) don't really pay attention to expiration dates and will pretty much eat anything if it doesn't smell or look bad.

Also I rarely rarely ever go to the hospital, unless it's a emergency as in "I just broke my arm and blood is gushing from a head wound." Which I find shocks all my white friends. Like they were genuinely confused that I didn't have a family doctor or that I didn't go in for regular check-ups. Before I went to college and had to get shots my friend was seriously confounded by the fact that I didn't have a family doctor, and asked me how I got shots.

lololol.

[/font][/size]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=treubhcet ms][size="3"]
Also I rarely rarely ever go to the hospital, unless it's a emergency as in "I just broke my arm and blood is gushing from a head wound." Which I find shocks all my white friends. Like they were genuinely confused that I didn't have a family doctor or that I didn't go in for regular check-ups. Before I went to college and had to get shots my friend was seriously confounded by the fact that I didn't have a family doctor, and asked me how I got shots.

[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I'm the same why. I know so many people who take medicine for every little thing: I refuse to even take Tylenol unless I can't see straight and/or keep functioning. I'll just work through pain and pretend it's not there.

I still play Pokemon Blue and Yellow on a red GameBoy color... I think that's pretty old-school...[/size]

I read books. Not online magazines and stuff, but books. Books that are 7 inches thick. I actually still have the 5 inch thick bedtime story books I read when I was 3.

I like to try and cure things without going to a doctor. Sore throat? Either a popsicle or honey. Nausea? Empty out my stomach, drink some Sprite, and move on. Bleeding from every pore? I get some band-aids.

[quote name='chibi-master']I read books. Not online magazines and stuff, but books. Books that are 7 inches thick. I actually still have the 5 inch thick bedtime story books I read when I was 3.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] This is old-fashioned? i cry[/font]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] This is old-fashioned? i cry[/font][/QUOTE]

You have to admit, more youth are using digital books (via Kindle, iTouch/Phone, online) during these times. It's irritating, but it's life.

In all honesty, I cry too about that statement.[/SIZE][/COLOR]