OtakuBoards

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

XeEmO

Who here's played it? I got it the day it came out and beat it shortly after. So far I've unlocked one of the secret levels in world 9, but I don't think it's going to be worth it to get all of them (unless I just get them gradually over the next couple of years).

I would say this game far exceeded my low expectations. I enjoyed it a lot better than the DS game with a similar name.

Edit: To elaborate a bit I thought I would say some more stuff about the game.

It felt more like an actual Mario sequel to me than Yoshi's Island for some reason. It almost seems like a combination of Mario 1 2 3 and Super Mario World. The game has Yoshis, but they appear to all be generic, unlike Super Mario World where they have special abilities. Also, don't expect to take a Yoshi from one level to the next because they say goodbye to you as soon as you finish the level.

There are a few new suits in the game. My favorite new suit involves a propeller hat. You shake the controller slightly and the character flies into the air.

Another very nice touch is the use of the wii controller's speaker. When you get a mushroom or a power up the sound comes directly through the controller speaker. It almost adds another dimension of sound.

I highly recommend this game.

I don't have a Wii myself but I do love Super Mario and every time I watch the commercial for that new game on TV, it makes me want one because it looks like the good ol' Mario I started with when I was 5 years old...just in 3d! and you can play with friends which i think is just awesomeness!

• 2 months later...
This New Super Mario Bros. is a throwback to the style of the original Super Mario Bros. and allows four players to play the game together. Players can navigate the side-scrolling worlds alone as before or invite up to three others to join them at the same time on the same level at any point in the game for competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring yet another type of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in fast-paced Super Mario Bros. fun.

[IMG]http://blackflowermusic.com/blog/wp-content/new_super_mario_bros_wii1253652260.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I have to disagree -- I've been playing it solo since I got it, and I like it a lot. It combines a lot of the features from the past games, and as someone who has grown up with both Mario and the platforming genre as a whole, it's a pretty sweet deal even if you're going at it on your own.

Still bone-breakingly difficult at times, though, but that's part of the fun. <3[/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]This game is basically what you get when you combine Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, then mix in some moves from the 3D games. I'd say it's as fun as either of those two when playing solo.

My only real problem with the game is with the power-ups. The fire and ice flowers are too similar; you rarely get other kinds of power-ups; and the propeller hat isn't as fun as the raccoon tail and cape were. The mini mushroom is the only new power-up that I thought was really fun.[/color]

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]I also prefer playing it solo, the game?s less frantic that way. It?s still a lot of fun playing with others, though. The propeller suit is probably my favorite new power-up of the bunch. But yeah, its no raccoon tail or super cape. I still got a lot of star coins to go after in order to open up some [spoiler]new levels in world 9[/spoiler], and I?m finding it to be quite the challenge.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]My only real problem with the game is with the power-ups. The fire and ice flowers are too similar; you rarely get other kinds of power-ups; and the propeller hat isn't as fun as the raccoon tail and cape were. The mini mushroom is the only new power-up that I thought was really fun.[/COLOR][/quote]

Pretty much. In time I came to love the Penguin suit, but I still can't help being a bit disappointed that it's essentially Ice Flower+Frog Suit+traction. Makes the Ice Flower pointless, especially since you can be guaranteed dozens of Penguin suits in the ice levels, while the Ice Flower still seems pretty rare.

On top of that, the Ice Flower loses a lot of effectiveness when you have the much more potent and common Fire Flower. The fireball bounces further. It outright kills most enemies. You can throw fireballs faster. In the time it would take you to kill an enemy with the Ice Flower, you could kill three with fireballs.

Additionally, the Propeller Suit is fun, but having to shake gets ridiculous further into the game. Some of the levels get so crazy that my hands are jumping to begin with...and any little tremble from the Tourette's seems to propel me to death. I really, really, really dislike the industry's hard-on for some of these motion controls.

Spin-to-grab, too, come to think of it. Why they couldn't have used the grab method from SMB2 USA (Down+B) is beyond me. That grab worked consistently. It was intuitive. There was no confusion. Just hop on top, hold Down and hit B. Simple. No other weird conditions.

Here, though, ehhhh. It doesn't really work all that well.

First, you're going to be holding Run the entire time. That's just what you do in Mario games. So you already are doing the first part of the grab whether you like it or not.

Second, you have to use the spin move for so much other crap in this game (propeller suit for example), it's almost inevitable that you'll be holding 1 while you spin.

Third, given how tiny some of the platforms are, it's almost inevitable that you'll be right next to each other when you hold 1 and spin.

That kind of situation has happened with me far too often and it gets very, very tiresome.

They should have used SMB2 USA's grab. And if that would interfere with their weird, rubbery, bouncy player interactions, then remove the weird, rubbery, bouncy player interactions. If P1 wants to jump-bounce off of P2, P1 should just hold Jump while they land on P2. Otherwise, they simply land on P2's head. That one change would have alleviated a whole lot of headaches and the multiplayer portion would have been a hell of a lot smoother.

As it stands, multiplayer games in NSMBW slow to a crawl...and slow Mario platformers just aren't fun when each player has to gingerly step around each other to make sure there isn't a random bump or jump-bounce that propels someone to their doom. To be fair, there is some funny in those moments, but it ceases being funny after half a dozen times.

I get that multiplayer is inherently funny. Because it [I]is[/I] inherently funny. It's inherently funny because you have player betrayals. Crazy explosions. Grenade triple-kills. Meteor spikes in Smash Bros. Anytime you play with other people, there's a guaranteed inherent funny. Multiplayer is inherently funny [I]without[/I] stupid physics/controls.

[color=#4B0082]Oh, right, the penguin suit. I completely forgot it existed because most of the time you can get exactly the same kind of movement with smart use of sliding on slopes. Which I would do and keep up with my penguin-suited friends just fine in the ice levels.

The shake and tilt controls don't bother me that much but I do wish they had let us use a classic controller instead. It would've been simple to map spin jump to the A button, like it was in SMW, and tilting to L and R.

Also, I wish you had the same amount of control over held items as you did in SMW. I miss the ability to throw things straight up and being able to set them down. Several of my friends have died because I had to toss a Koopa shell at an inopportune moment and they failed to get out of the way.[/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]I think this game is impossible to play with any more than two players simultaneously. With two players, you can blaze through the levels and get through with a relatively high amount of success. But with Three and Four people, it gets tougher because of the Auto scroll on the screen. The lead or trail player can cause lots of random deaths (which is kinda silly with the "safety bubble" feature)

I actually think the Propeller makes the game really really really easy to play because you don't have to really jump across gaps. Fly, hover, rinse repeat. It also makes it super easy to get those 1UPs at the flagpole at the end of the stage It almost feels like cheating, whereas the Raccoon tail and Cape didn't really feel that way, because you had to run to be able to fly. This is just a flick and win sorta thing.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]It's certainly a lot harder with four people but not impossible. I played through the entire game with three and four players and, yes, there were times I raged at people for killing us all, but we made it.

It [i]really[/i] helps, though, when people are actually coordinated, know how to take turns, and are familiar with the game. Me and my brother both grew up playing tons of classic 2D Mario so we were instantly familiar with a lot of the game mechanics and generally the best ways to get past stuff. Because of that, we had much less of a problem with getting in each other's way than we did with my friends.

Some advice for when you're the only really good player in a group of three or four: Just stay the heck away from everyone else as much as you possibly can. Either try to lead them along from the front of the pack or, if you can't get out in front, hang back and go last. (But pay close attention to the person in front so you don't get scrolled into oblivion.) Once I figured that out, my survival rate increased dramatically.

About the propeller, I can see why they made it that way but I still don't like it. With the raccoon tail and cape, you had to get a pretty long running start before you could fly, and with the way scrolling works with multiple people that could easily lead to tons of deaths. So they needed to let you use it from a standstill.

The cape can still be abused far more than the propeller, though. The cape lets you fly through entire levels without ever even seeing the ground after you take off. With the propeller you at least need to find safe places to land.[/color]