OtakuBoards

St. Patrick's Day, everybody!

chibi-master

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]

my mama's great great grandma was paid passage over to America [/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

This actually happened more than you'd think. Irish landowners paid for the passage of a good few Irish peasants, because in the long run it was less costly than having them living on their land, unable to pay rent or to grow anything substantial, due to the microscopic size of the peasant farmers holdings. The governement even paid for scores of Irish to emigrate (mostly orphaned girls). And passage wasn't as astronomical as one might think either. In the years leading up to the famine, competing ship companies were able to lower the price of the trip, and empty trade ships returning to America welcomed the extra income.

For a few years now I have been observing St. Patricks Day, an odd occasion indeed - and one not much observed in forby times.

Every year St. Patricks Eve I see the streets full to the brim of leprechauns - the sons of cobblers with a keen eye for fixing shoes, I see them getting merry on magic potions and dancing irish jigs into the dusk!!

Now, yes we have relatives of the fairies causing mischief and drinking potions, with their magic green hats and pots of gold. That I know we can all agree, much makes sense. leprechauns bloody well love treasure for gods sake.

It's the damn demographics that don't add up. These places often have less than 1% of cobblers yet the streets are rife with leprechauns.

If they can't cobble shoes, then we all know that they'll soon get sick of guarding pots of gold at rainbows ( and one end of a rainbow often points into a dragons lair)

[quote name='Wizard Phoenix']For a few years now I have been observing St. Patricks Day, an odd occasion indeed - and one not much observed in forby times.

Every year St. Patricks Eve I see the streets full to the brim of leprechauns - the sons of cobblers with a keen eye for fixing shoes, I see them getting merry on magic potions and dancing irish jigs into the dusk!!

Now, yes we have relatives of the fairies causing mischief and drinking potions, with their magic green hats and pots of gold. That I know we can all agree, much makes sense. leprechauns bloody well love treasure for gods sake.

It's the damn demographics that don't add up. These places often have less than 1% of cobblers yet the streets are rife with leprechauns.

If they can't cobble shoes, then we all know that they'll soon get sick of guarding pots of gold at rainbows ( and one end of a rainbow often points into a dragons lair)[/QUOTE]

[center][color=deeppink]<3[/color][/center]

[quote name='Wizard Phoenix']For a few years now I have been observing St. Patricks Day, an odd occasion indeed - and one not much observed in forby times.

If they can't cobble shoes, then we all know that they'll soon get sick of guarding pots of gold at rainbows ( and one end of a rainbow often points into a dragons lair)[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Hey you! Stay the hell away from my Guiness and my Irish coffee! A'fore I beat ye with me Shaleileigh.... when I figure out what it is and how to spell it properly.[/color][/font][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I went to downtown San Francisco, and it was inadvertently action packed.

Although we got there too late for the block party, midnight I suppose was just too late for some people...

But anyway we went to get pizza and beer, came outside and saw some people just standing around sobering up or drinking more. But there was a lone asian guy, not even in green slamming his fist into the doors of closed bars. Then he started kicking the storefront window of one while the people inside just stared at him blankly. I lost sight of him but according to my friends, he went around the corner, and promptly fell over, clipping his head on the side of a metal trash can.

He then lay there on the concrete sidewalk bleeding when my tipsy friend rushed in and turned on EMT mode. After some sternum rubs to make sure he was still responding [if only to painful stimuli] security FINALLY showed up and called the fire department and ambulance. The guy came around, started screaming and thrashing, and then fell back into a broken face coma.

IT WAS AWESOME. BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE![/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Suppose I should've got around to replying to this a few days ago but whatever.

Enjoyed a relatively quiet day, watched the city parade during the day and fireworks that night, which was probably the highlight as I love fireworks. Didn't drink (because I don't) and thankfully didn't come across anyone in dire straits.[/SIZE]