OtakuBoards

Psyren [A Must Read for Shounen Fans]

Magus

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the spoilers says that its going to be Ageha and Amamiya learning nova in a hyperbolic time chamber sort of deal created by Ageha dad (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters) and that Kyle has already failed to learn nova, so I'm assuming that all the Elmore kids have failed to learn it. Which makes sense to me... I guess. If nova is a combination of Trace, Rise, and Burst, then only psychicers who are skilled in all three should be able to fuse them together, and the only Elmore kid who could possible do that is Shao (but that is assuming that he can use a burst that we haven't seen (though he did show he could use Burst Stream so, maybe he is hiding something)). But following this logic, Ageha shouldn't be able to use it either, since he doesn't use Trace. Amamiya seems like a good candidate, since she can use all of those things.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'm rather perplexed by that as well, Ageha has never shown any kind of aptitude with Trance before, so really shouldn't he have to master that before he goes on to attempt to master Nova ? As for Amamiya, again she only seems to use two of the three base forms of PSI at any give time, depending on which personality is in charge.

May I also say I'm rather disappointed how similar Psyren is becoming to Bleach.[/size][/font]

Bleach... I remember back when they were on the Rukia Rescue Mission and everything was good. Anyways I thought that Amamiya could use basic burst stuff, but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking about the possibilities for the masked scourge guy who helped Ageha and I was thinking of all the people that could have used some healing powers and inevitable ended up on Oboro, who I don't think that it is, but then I had an out of the box thought. The Oboro from the past is roaming around collecting cores, but what about Oboro from the future? He showed such promise in the past, I can't think that he wouldn't become a psychicer after the meteor hits earth (assuming he survived). I don't think that theory has much weight but it got me thinking, what happened to all of our main characters between their time and the future, because I think its a little strange that they were not with Root. Did it ever say what happened to them and I missed it? Not just Root either, I could see Oboro or evil Amamiya being members of the Wise. I don't think that's the case though, if they were members of Wise the star commander would have recognized them.

On a side note, with Oboro gone the group has room for a healer again, and I like Kabuto for the job. He already has the first half of Ian's rise training down and he can use burst now (I think) so he should give it a stab. You can never have to many healers, and Van won't always be around.

On a different side note, I think I like the adventures that take place outside of psyren. True that's where all the main villains are(that's the part that feels bleachy, to me anyway) but I like the missions that take place in the past much better. I blame Matsuri and Kagetora.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Now that the other lowly series are out of the way...

The thing about Ageha and Trance is that we don't know whether he's capable of using it or not. He was only taught Burst and Rise.

As for these events. I kind of wish creators stop going in the obvious route. Then again it does make sense to have Oboro as the mask guy. Other than that I like what I read. I with Gavin. Ageha's dad is quickly becoming a favorite.

It's going to be hard reading this series now, with the ban hammer. Edited by Beretta

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I knew you couldn't stay away. :P

Uranus's (*insert childish snort*) role in the fight seems to have finished for now, it's going to be interesting to see what Caprico and Junas are capable of doing, given the latter should still be quite injured and woohoo to Shiner showing up again, should be the rematch between him and Hiryuu we've been waiting for. Hopefully not going to be too long before we see Ageha and crew in tow too.

Also, I called it.[/size][/font]

Of course I couldn't. I WAS ON A BREAK.. [/Friends quote] (sorry I had to do it :D)

Uranus, I don't know how I could forget his name that quick, but I did like the guy. I'm going to have to read this from the beginning because I forgot when he was introduced as well as when he took Shiners rank.

So I don't think that Oboro is going to have any trouble with that scourge guy. Not only was he the fastest (even if he does use a very tricky kind of Rise) but I can't see him struggling to beat some enemy who is less than a Star Commander. Also if I am remembering right when he was in disguise as Odo didn't he smash through one of Kyle's Material High barriers? I'm assuming that means that Oboro has become more talented in Rise which is nice, maybe now he will actually fight. Though we didn't see his whole body his face still looks normal which got me thinking... could the Oboro that Nemesis Q's creator showed us be different than the one that just appeared? Maybe this Oboro is the one that Shinner (also I'm very happy he is doing stuff again probably my favorite Star Commander) fought and teleported away and the one with he instant death power is the Oboro that survived through the meteor striking the world. Or I guess the opposite could also be true, but for some reason I am hung up on their being a future version of some of the main characters, which isn't totally crazy... I think.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Certainly we should hear a bit more about what Oboro has been doing since he disappeared so many chapters ago. I would also be very surprised if he has any trouble against the other Scourge member, though that's only because Oboro seems ridiculously close to being broken as a character given how powerful he has demonstrated himself to be.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Lawliet' date='02 August 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1280797254' post='698615']
So I don't think that Oboro is going to have any trouble with that scourge guy. Not only was he the fastest (even if he does use a very tricky kind of Rise) but I can't see him struggling to beat some enemy who is less than a Star Commander. Also if I am remembering right when he was in disguise as Odo didn't he smash through one of Kyle's Material High barriers? I'm assuming that means that Oboro has become more talented in Rise which is nice, maybe now he will actually fight. Though we didn't see his whole body his face still looks normal which got me thinking... could the Oboro that Nemesis Q's creator showed us be different than the one that just appeared? Maybe this Oboro is the one that Shinner (also I'm very happy he is doing stuff again probably my favorite Star Commander) fought and teleported away and the one with he instant death power is the Oboro that survived through the meteor striking the world. Or I guess the opposite could also be true, but for some reason I am hung up on their being a future version of some of the main characters, which isn't totally crazy... I think.
[/quote]
The thing with that though is that Kyle struggled against that said Scourge who I would think is stronger than Dholaki (5th Star Commander). So to say that he's less than a Star Commander would be a little off. Rank wise, yes, but he's under Junas. Now as far as Oboro goes, I think they're one in the same. If there would be a future Oboro then there should be a future whathisname... Big dragon guy. Last time we saw Oboro, he was taking cores or something like that which remains to be shocking to me. Did he just give up on returning to the past or something?

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ah my bad Ber.

So yeah, last week's chapter was pretty damn epic. I think you're right about Delboro eclipsing the likes of Dholaki in combat given what happened to the latter against Kyle in comparison to the former.

Oboro has ascended to the rank of completely broken character with the last chapter. Tavoo can't do **** to him, chances are he's going to pwn Caprica in their little King of Tavoo contenst which leaves Junas in a very bad position then. I expect we'll see Oboro vs Grana quite soon, with that switching to Ageha vs Grana while Oboro goes after the big bad. [/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

Yes, Oboro does indeed rock. It's funny that I never really thought of Oboro as an awesome character until now. I've always thought of him as a good character but never great/awesome. I do agree that he's definately in that range of broken. I'm actually thinking Kabuto will be the one fighting against Grana, especially ever since seeing the comparison from that other scourge member.

I've been hearing some unsettling news about Psyren might be getting cancelled due to low ratings... Just a rumor but I hope that's false.

Don't want to link to another forum (Manga Helper) so I'll quote.

And it's not really a rumor, just more of a conversation that's been brought up.

[quote]I'm not really worried about the cancellation right now, but if it keeps being on bottom five for an additional two weeks, then I will be troubled.[/quote]

[quote]Because Psyren has been fixed in third-last position for 4 or 5 weeks already, just above the almost-dead Metalica & Shonen Shiku. (If based on ranking alone a mere 3-out can really oute Psyren this time...... X_X. Though 3-out is not that likely coming season, because Autumn start-season is almost guarenteed to be a 2-in event.)

I'm already worried. This week is already the summer joint issue and cancellation is like 4 weeks away, and Psyren STILL have not floated up like it usually does. (thought I think either/both newcomer SWOT or/and the zoo manga in Jump will start to sink by chapter 7 or 8, just "saving" Psyren in time. SWOT is week 6 right now)[/quote]

[quote]
But we're talking about Jump here - it's the top league where almost everybody is a top seller. If you pit Psyren against people it runs the "survival" (cancellation) competition on it's the perpetual bottom 4 except the new comers that usually disappear in 6 months.

"Power scale" that I remember straight from Memory:
One Piece : Over 2.5 million copies in first Month
. (Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn, Bakuman - all over 400,000)
Nurari : 210,000 first Month
Toriko : 200,000 1st Month
Sket Dance : 160,000
Beelzebub & Kuroko : 150,000
Medaka Box : 120,000
Jaguar : 120,000?
Psyren : 95,000
Kochikame : 70,000?
InumaruDashi : 50,000
Hogenshitsu : 35,000

Right now, only Gag story and a new comer is below Psyren, excluding very new stories without volume sale Data (Shikku, Metalica, SWOT, Zoo)[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Interesting and troubling all in one fell swoop. Even if it looks like Psyren is already coming to the focal point of the story (unless Oboro takes over as big bad) it would be a shame to see it cancelled before we got there.[/size][/font]

Indeed. One would think with everyone reading One Piece, Bleach and Naruto (heck, some people even break their necks to read Hunter x Hunter and Soul Eater) you'd think they'd give Psyren a shot.

Anyway, I've been rereading this and it still has that refreshing-ness that other shonen series seems to lack these days when rereading them.

I suppose I can understand that, but those that are reading from the actual shonen jump book should've been exposed to it.. I don't know if it's there, but one would think they'd already started advertising Psyren.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Maybe, not really sure how advertising for WSJ works outside the Big 3. Generally speaking an anime really helps boost a manga's following, but to get an anime they need to be popular titles in the first place. Pity really, I think like BLEACH, Psyren is a series that would really work well as an anime.[/size][/font]

The latest chapter was a little hard to follow in a sense.. Kind of hard to tell who was who (Junas and Oboro). I didn't figure it out until the last page with Oboro on it.

Anyway, who the heck was the girl, or rather, the "it"? People are speculating that it's the meteor/ite itself.

And seriously, the mangaka is really something else with this series and the rankings. There seemed to have been a huge leap from 3 to 2. Now the jump from 2 to 1 is crazy, and rightfully so. (Grana can control just about everything... Hard to believe Miroku actually beat this guy)

On a side note, I try to not pay this stuff no attention but Marie's boobs stick out farther than I've ever seen for any female in shonen.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Yeah, really seems like they had a mind of their own the way they were just jutting out there.

Interesting chapter, Oboro vs Grana was to be expected and hopefully shouldn't disappoint despite the fact Grana seems to be winning handily. I'm sort of hoping we see Kagetora and Matsuri in the next while as well.

Spoilers for this week's chapter are a bit disappointing. Amamiya wasn't ever one of my favourite characters but I suppose it was necessary to demonstrate the power of Nova.[/size][/font]

I've never had an issue with Amamiya (I find her far more likable than Rukia) so I think the spoilers sounds pretty good, although I don't see why Ageha tends to worry about her over nothing when they been through the same training. Although, I have to say that I didn't expect her to fight Shiner considering how shonen tends to match people up with their err.. whatucallit... (I forgot the word)

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Meh, I just find her kind of boring to be honest. It's easy to predict what she's going to see or how she's going to react, I actually figured exactly what her Nova was going to do based on our previous discussion of how she couldn't/didn't use Rise.[/size][/font]