OtakuBoards

Mortal Kombat: Rebirth

Magus

Hopefully I know what I'm doing here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmvxjnwbMPI[/media]

(IT WORKED)

Hmm... You can consider me interested. I'm not a fan of the MK series anymore (stopped being one after Trilogy) and a reboot was probably needed considering the horrible movie MK2 was. (I just don't see how you can recover from that one) But yeah, all I can really say at the moment is "interesting".

Better actor for Jax this time around. And Scorpion looks familiar, but I can't figure out who that guy is. Baraka.... I know there's going to be talk about him and Reptile, but I'm actually digging Baraka... Never saw him as the Capoiera (sp?) type. (I'm pretty certain that's the fighter in The Protector... I could be wrong though) The fight between him and Johnny Cage was nice. (Wonder whose behind the choreography) Reptile might be too "cannibalistic" for me. Edited by Magus

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I saw this the other day and now, after seeing it again... I'm really not liking it. I am not entirely sure what angle they are trying to go with on this - it's almost looking a bit film noir in this trailer. On the one hand it seems to be trying to go for a more serious tone, but it's got this camp undertone that just doesn't square somehow.

Maybe I just need to see more of it, but I think this trailer looks pretty awful. :\
[/font]

After seeing this trailer, I think I might watch it but Im not gonna enjoy it at all. It totally changed the aspect of Mortal Kombat as it is. This movie just seemed like an assassin movie with Mortal Kombat characters. Baraka was not a disgruntled scientist, he is of another race from a different realm. Jax doesnt have his super cool metal arms, Sonya looks like she cant fight at all, Sub-Zero is made to look like a bad guy. (Why Jax and Sonya would betray him is beyond me). Reptile....is kinda the same really...a little too canabalistic. And no one seems to have their powers. Scorpion is still bad@*# no matter where he is. Im fine with his character.

[quote name='James' date='10 June 2010 - 06:46 AM' timestamp='1276166808' post='695014']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I saw this the other day and now, after seeing it again... I'm really not liking it. I am not entirely sure what angle they are trying to go with on this - it's almost looking a bit film noir in this trailer. On the one hand it seems to be trying to go for a more serious tone, but it's got this camp undertone that just doesn't square somehow.

Maybe I just need to see more of it, but I think this trailer looks pretty awful. :\
[/font]
[/quote]

Yup.

As a typical action/crime/thriller trailer, it's pretty horrible. I mean, sure...it's not even a trailer, just a proof of concept. But all it proves is that these writers don't know how to write. The dialogue is awful. Exposition--even in a trailer--should never be handled in such a clumsy manner. It doesn't help matters that the only real high point of the trailer is the fight between Johnny Cage and Baraka. Seriously, when the best part of your trailer is a brief fight scene, what does that say about the rest of your video? Now, I won't deny that it might be interesting to see a crime drama seedy underbelly background as the backdrop of at least the start of a/the story...but right now as it's conceived...it's so unappealing and underdeveloped that I immediately lose interest.

Now, as a Mortal Kombat movie/trailer/something, I find myself wondering how it could have gone so wrong.

Within a few minutes, they've taken completely iconic characters and turned them into generic action movie fodder. I mean, honestly...take some random nerd and show them a picture of Baraka from MKII. Chances are they'd know who it is within a second. Show that same person a picture of what's supposed to be Baraka here and they wouldn't have any goddamn idea what the hell they're looking at.

Same goes for Subzero and Reptile. Subzero looks like an UE3 character render from the cutting room floor and Reptile is a random creepy bum who keeps human lampshades. How is that any more compelling than their origins in the early MK games? Subzero and Reptile never needed to be gritty serial killers. They were far more interesting as mystic warriors and assassins.

On top of all of that...MK was never gritty and realistic, even in its heyday. Its contrast with Street Fighter was always that MK was the Looney Tunes to Street Fighter's Tiny Toon Adventures. In fact, Looney Toons is a pretty apt analogy for MK. It was never as smart as Looney Tunes, but it did have that weird blend of violence and mean-spirited slapstick humor.

That's why the first movie was so great. Because it kept that weird blend of violence and mean-spirited comedy.

And that's why I can't begin to understand why they're even looking to pitch this weird reboot thing.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]At the moment I'm alternating between "WTF is this ****?!!" and "How can I have sat through nearly eight minutes of a Mortal Kombat and not heard the theme music ?", so yeah big positive thoughts from me on this one. I'm not at all convinced by the shift in plot, and as Alex touched on the dialogue is something between horrible and the-person-who-wrote-this-should-be-killed, sure the original Mortal Kombat movie wasn't exactly sterling but the fact it didn't take itself seriously worked so much better than this.

Jeri Ryan must be pretty down on funds to do something like this.[/font][/size] Edited by Gavin

I AM SO EXCITED! I'm a HUGE MK fan (ok so I'm about 60kg but I really like the brand, is what I'm getting at!) I saw the movie when it came out, the soundtrack was the first CD I ever bought, I played the games until my fingers bled, loved the second movie... somehow missed the third... but my heart leapt out of my mouth when I saw this trailer. And I like crappy movies (Not dragonball crappy, but like... XXX crappy) so I reckon this one will be up my alley.

If they film it. This isn't a trailer, it's a short - the guys who did it are gauging interest to get some funding to film it. That's why it was 'leaked' onto the web, I reckon... so heaps of people demand for it to be filmed. Well, I'm demanding that it be filmed!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66904