OtakuBoards

Podcasts for Pod-people

Heaven's Cloud

[color=indigo]I spend a lot of my time travelling alone, and while music is still my main travel companion, I have grown more and more fond of listening to podcasts. Anyway, I thought Iâ??d start a thread on the subject not just to share some of my personal favorites, but to find out what the rest of you are listening to. hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few new favorites.

[b]The Adam Carolla Show[/b] â?? If you arenâ??t familiar with Adam Carolla, he was a former host of [b]The Man Show[/b], a creator of [b]Crank Yankers[/b], former co-host of [b]Love Line[/b] and a prominent American radio personality. I was never really a big fan. However, I gave his podcast a shot and, I have to admit, he has won me over. The format is simple, Adam rants about stuff (news, personal garbage, celebrity) and then he interviews a guest (during which time he rants some more). I know it doesnâ??t sound like anything that hasnâ??t been done before, but it is a really entertaining show. And vulgar.

[b]Giant Fire Breathing Robot[/b] â?? A heads up, the cast of the [b]GFB Robot[/b] podcast arenâ??t the greatest radio personalities (their personalities are all pretty bland). However, what they lack in charisma they make up for in content. [b]GFB Robot[/b]â??s content is aimed at geeks like me. They talk about games, comics, and toys and how awesome all of this wonderfully nerdy stuff is.

[b]Real Time with Bill Mahr[/b] â?? If you are interested in politics and you donâ??t have HBO, [b]Real Time with Bill Mahr[/b] is available in podcast form. Though I donâ??t always agree with the opinions of the host and the panel the show is always interesting and informative.

[b]Fitz Dog Radio[/b] â?? Greg Fitzsimmons is a comedian and comedy writer that now has a radio show and podcast sponsored by Howard Stern. The show is always witty and Greg always has solid interviews with interesting guests. His interview with Dane Cook was actually one of the most solid interviews Iâ??ve ever seen done with the talented comedian/untalented actor.
[/color]

There's a couple of good podcasts out there that I enjoy listening to now and then. When I'm traveling and I want to stimulate some thoughts, I'll listen to a podcast. Even when I'm just sitting down relaxing, I'll play one of my favorite podcasts stir the imagination. Of course, my likes tend to be more academic oriented (read: boring as hell), but here they are anyways.

[i]Baggini's Philosophy Monthly[/i], or [i]BPM[/i],: As the title says, it's a monthly podcast dedicated to philosophical issues, hosted by Julian Baggini. I first became aware of this one around a month or two ago, so I'm getting acquainted with it myself, and I can't comment on the quality too much. However, it seems pretty solid, even though they clock in around 30 minutes per show. They pack in some thoughtful content in a fairly short time for such demanding subject - just more than enough to give you a taste. The one with my pal Daniel Dennett was not bad, so I'll have to listen to more of Baggini's podcasts.

[i]CBC Radio Podcasts[/i]: Now they've got an entire roster full podcasts on their site. From Radio 2's [i]Beethoven Nine in 9[/i] to [i]The Best of DNTO[/i] to [i]Ideas (Highlights), [/i]CBC has a wide selection to choose from. The last one on the list, [i]Ideas[/i], is my favorite podcast to listen to. The topics range from the sociological, philosophical, scientific, to whatnot! For those who love to think, these are the podcasts to listen to. My favorite that the [i]Ideas[/i] series has done is "How to Think about Science", which studied the methodologies, aims, goals, and movements in science. This isn't available online anymore (it comes and goes, on their site), but I was lucky enough to grab all 24 podcasts when they made the entire series available for download. Thanks to these podcasts, I've found some more thinkers to stimulate my thoughts (Ian Hacking and Lorraine Daston now have books on my shelf). Fantastic stuff! Edited by Pleiades Rising

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Jax Rhapsody' date='04 August 2010 - 03:47 AM' timestamp='1280908047' post='698754']
I still don't know what the hell a podcast is.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]Well, through the beauty of the internet you can find out [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast"]right here[/url].

I have a new podcast love. For some reason it never occurred to me that NPR's [b]Fresh Air[/b], easily the best interview show of all time, would be available in podcast form. Of course, it is, and that is truly awesome. I've been catching up on all sorts of interesting missed interviews. Yesterday I listened to an interview with Brian May, the guitar player from Queen that also happens to have a PHD in astrophysics. It was a truly cool interview.[/color] Edited by Heaven's Cloud

I actually didn't have anything with podcasts until a teacher mentioned his two great hobbies in lives are trees and podcasts, and sometime later a friend suggested a specific podcast.

The podcast being: [B]WYNC's Radio Lab[/b], which is one of the greatest things in the whole wide world. Seriously. It improves your life just listening to it.

Another podcast I've been listening to a [i]lot[/i] for some time was the Sarcastic Gamer podcast, which was fun and games (ha, pun) though it lost my attention after some time. I wasn't up to date enough with gaming to keep up with whatever they talked about.

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='05 August 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1281051135' post='698946']

The podcast being: [B]WYNC's Radio Lab[/b], which is one of the greatest things in the whole wide world. Seriously. It improves your life just listening to it.

[/quote]

[color=indigo]Thanks, this is now my new favorite thing! I listened to four episodes tonight while doing some work, pretty damn fascinating.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='06 August 2010 - 06:45 AM' timestamp='1281069948' post='698955']
[color="indigo"]Thanks, this is now my new favorite thing! I listened to four episodes tonight while doing some work, pretty damn fascinating.[/color]
[/quote]
*high five*

Oh dear I listen to a lot of podcasts. Plus I AM a podcaster... Well, I'll just mention the podcasts I listen to since I don't want to be a shameless self promoter or anything.

[b]Diggnation[/b] Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht of digg.com come together weekly to discuss all the popular stories submitted on digg.com. It's hilarious, they're always talking some funny stuff, sometimes have some cool guests and [b]always[/b] drink some beer.

[b]Practical Defense Podcast[/b] Reality martial artist Alex Haddox makes this podcast for the sole reason of keeping you safe and keeping you healthy the podcast is full of tips of making sure you stay safe on the street and online and also sometimes gives tips for training if you're a martial artist. Bit of warning though, it's part of a gun rights podcast network so if you don't like hearing the commercials about gun rights then don't listen. As for me I just tune it out, his tips are just too darn good and vital for me to care about the commercials.

[b]The Maccast[/b] A podcast for Mac geeks by Mac geeks... 'nuff said.
[b]
For Mac Eyes Only[/b] Same deal as the Maccast Even if you're a Windows user I'd still suggest listening to these these guys are fans yes, but they're never rude and also give Windows tips from time to time
[b]Beatdown[/b] A mixed martial arts podcast hosted by the Sherdog radio network and can be found over at Sherdog.com (if you catch them at the right time you can listen live and even call in. A great podcast offering insight into the current events of mixed martial arts, these guys are VERY smart and if you're a fan of mixed martial arts you should really listen to these guys and broaden your knowledge on the sport.
[b]Sarcastic Gamer Blu[/b] The Playstation podcast from the gamercast network, these guys can be heard over at sarcasticgamer.com there are other colors referring to other systems and those shows are great too, I picked this one since this is the main one I listen to due to the fact I play more Playstation than any of my other systems. But even then, I guess that's not the REAL reason the REAL reason I listen to these guys is because they're hilarious! I dare you to listen to an episode and not laugh I dare you.

I listen to a lot more podcasts but those are the main ones I listen to. Go check them out if you got the time.