OtakuBoards

Movies that are *Only In Theaters*

Draco

I have seen I don't know many movies come out claiming to be only in theaters only to come out on DVD several months later.
From what I gather, they want you to believe that their a limited time only offer but what they really want is for you to spend more money than you
would buying a blu-ray DVD before releasing it for mass production. The *Limited* movies that do bad within a week or two come out in no less than
one month.

If anyone else is tired of this and wish to speak their mind about it. Go ahead and post it. Just keep it clean for the kiddies who go on
this site.

I thought "only in theaters" ment that it was only showing in theaters for the time being, but that it would eventually be released on DVD. And it depended on how well the movie did when it would be avaliable on DVD (because the movie will stay longer in the main theater and then move to the dollar theater, where it will also stay for a longer time).
*shrugs* That's how I thought it worked all this time. I never really asked.

[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I think the "Only in theaters" disclaimer in along the same lines as a "Caution: Contents Hot!" warning on the sides of coffee cups. You can't tell me there aren't people clueless enough to start asking for DVDs of movies that have just begun production.

It's probably also a not-so-subtle advertisement to go see a movie at your local theater.[/font][/color]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Like Elk I'd always thought the "only in theatres" line meant you wouldn't see a home-entertainment release, if it's actually to tell people not to bother looking for a DVD release yet then my estimation of humanity has been lowered once again.[/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

I agree with Elk. "Only in theaters" means at the time you will only find the movie in theaters. Movies can't stay and theaters forever or just have them disappear after a time. It would be a waste of money in making the movie. DVD/Blu-ray still provided some profit.

You could also look at it as an advertising campaign . By saying "Only in Theaters" you get your audience excited and make them forget about it going to DVD/Blu-ray later on. When the movie does go to you also have the potential to say "remember that great movie being limited to theaters? Well guess what we are releasing it to DVD/Blu-ray so you can own your vary own copy." This again gets audience excited to buy there own copy of the movie.You also can get more of an audience for it can reach people who do not like going to the Theaters or cannot afford to go to the theaters to see the movie.

What really gets my goat is the whole "Only in [i]selected[/i] theatres" BS that gets pulled all too often.  Like how last week I went to see that Scott Pilgrim movie only to find out that it's not being shown in this area.  And it's all because I live out in the sticks.  

Rednecks watch movies too hot dammit!