OtakuBoards

Dolph Lundgren Will Eat Your Face!

Heaven's Cloud

[color=indigo]Ten days. Ten whole days until the US release of what could possibly be the greatest film ever created. Yes kiddies, I'm talking about [b]The Expendables[/b].

Now, in case you have been living under a rock for the past six months (really, this movie has been promoted almost non-stop for the last six months), [b]The Expendables[/b] is basically a wet-dream for action movie fans. It stars Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Steve Austin, Mickey Rourke, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Eric Roberts and, my favorite action hero ever, Dolph Lundgren (you know you loved [b]Showdown in Little Tokyo[/b]). It also features the Govenator and Bruce Willis, how cool is that?

I know what you are thinking, you're thinking "HC, the last time I saw a movie with an ensemble cast this great I had to go kick Al Pacino in the nuts for agreeing to appear in [b]Ocean's Thirteen[/b]". I too have been disappointed in the past by movies filled with all-star actors. But this is going to be different. This is an action movie.

The best action movies [b]are[/b] campy, they are filled with over the top explosions, the roar of gun fire, and muscle strewn men that can punch through brick walls. They have cheesy dialogue, bad puns, and usually feature "buddy" themes that border on being homo-erotic. In other words, they are pure nuggets of awesome, and this film has the potential to be the biggest awesomeness nugget of them all.

Sure, I might not know what [b]The Expendables[/b] is about (I gather from the title that it is about a group of soldiers that are expendable), but I do know that it is a roller coaster of testosterone, and I'm in line for the front car.[/color]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_-HtEy8a04[/media][/center]
No joke, I am terribly excited about this movie. I grew up on cheesy action movies and this looks like it's going to be a wonderful night at the movies. I thought the recent Rambo movie was pretty good, too, so this gives me a lot of hope. I'm also really looking forward to 'Machete,' which looks like it's going to be even campier than The Expendables, if such a thing is possible.

- Shy

[color=indigo]Shy, I have a man crush on you for posting that clip, it made my night. I too am looking forward to [b]Machete[/b], but right now I'm like a laser beam focused on [b]The Expendables[/b]...it is too bad Sly couldn't have found a slot for Danny Trejo though.[/color]

I'm also looking forward to this movie. I don't go to the theaters these days... (got kicked out... long story) But this would be one I'd actually go to the movies to see.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Sly, Arnold, Bruce and Stone Cold will interact in this movie. I know Jason and Li have been in a couple of movies before so they should be able to gel together.

On a side note. My birthday is in 27 days. I think I might go see it on that day.

It's going to be a hard choice to make next weekend; Expendables or Scott Pilgrim.  I'll probably see both but one is going to have to take a back seat to the other for at least 24 hours.

Seriously though, this is a pretty decent cast they've lined up.   Terry Crews and Eric Roberts, I don't really know much about and I couldn't care less about Randy Couture (not a fan of UFC) but the rest of the cast reads like an action move dream team.  The only thing that could have made this any better is if they'd managed to add Jean Claude Van Damme and Vin Diesel to the cast.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='The Tentacle' date='04 August 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1280951214' post='698818']
It's going to be a hard choice to make next weekend; Expendables or Scott Pilgrim.  I'll probably see both but one is going to have to take a back seat to the other for at least 24 hours.

Seriously though, this is a pretty decent cast they've lined up.   Terry Crews and Eric Roberts, I don't really know much about and I couldn't care less about Randy Couture (not a fan of UFC) but the rest of the cast reads like an action move dream team.  The only thing that could have made this any better is if they'd managed to add Jean Claude Van Damme and Vin Diesel to the cast.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]You'd know Terry Crews if you saw him. He played President Camacho in Idiocracy. You'd definitely recognize Eric Roberts, he has been in a billion and a half movies and shows. Though he is one of those actors you recognize but cannot name.

I saw an interview with Sly yesterday and I am even more pumped for this movie than ever![/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='12 August 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1281650436' post='699315']
[color=indigo]I saw an interview with Sly yesterday and I am even more pumped for this movie than ever![/color]
[/quote]
I just saw Sly on Jimmy Kimmel (I don't watch the show, but when I saw that he was going to be on there.... yeah) and I'm pumped as well. I probably should go see this tonight just to get some type of adrenlaine rush and anger management.

[color=indigo]I saw this movie a few hours ago and it as excellent. It was funny, and exciting, and super-duper action packed. Really, it was the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

[b]The Expendables[/b] reminded me what an action movie should be: kind of cheesy, kind of bad (yeah, the best action movies are sort of bad...you really don't want to think too much about it), kind of funny, but really, really packed with with adventure. It is the kind of movie made before [b]The Born Identity[/b] came out and every action movie decided they needed to be full of intrigue and suspense (or over the top robots and lots of CGI).

The two brightest beacons of awesomeness in this movie have to be Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke. Rourke's Tool (his character's name not his, y'know) is a fantastic ancillary character whose speech to Sly helps kick start the movies climax. Lundgren's Gunner, well, lets just say that Dolph should be making more appearances in movies. He is awesome.

If you had interest in seeing this movie GO SEE IT! The more people that get behind films like this, the more chances there are that we will be able to see more of these old-style action films in theaters.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
This movie was incredible and it gets my highest rating yet: [b]FIVE OUT OF FIVE SIDEWAYS FIST BUMPS![/B]

In all serious, this is exactly what I want from a night at the movies. The action scenes were really fun [spoiler]especially when they killed all of those foreigners with their guns.[/spoiler] Dolph was probably my favorite, but I feel like everyone got a moment to shine. Arnie's cameo alone is so campy and gratuitous that it's worth the price of admission.

- Shy

[quote name='Shy' date='24 August 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1282694059' post='699808']
This movie was incredible and it gets my highest rating yet: [b]FIVE OUT OF FIVE SIDEWAYS FIST BUMPS![/B]

In all serious, this is exactly what I want from a night at the movies. The action scenes were really fun [spoiler]especially when they killed all of those foreigners with their guns.[/spoiler] Dolph was probably my favorite, but I feel like everyone got a moment to shine. Arnie's cameo alone is so campy and gratuitous that it's worth the price of admission.

- Shy
[/quote]

[color=indigo]You should get the "best use of spoiler tags when none were needed" award at the next OB awards. Ah, ironing is delicious.

I actually saw this a second time, and I caught the long preview for [b]Machete[/b], which I am now almost as excited for as I was with [b]The Expendables[/b]![/color]

• 3 months later...
I finally got around to watching this movie and its awesome. It's an action fans dream and my movie of the year. Heaven's Cloud pretty much nailed it with his brief summary although my favorites were Sly and Statham, but truthfully, everyone was good. Even the less experienced, Randy Couture because he didn't have many lines to begin with. I don't know any names outside of Gunner and Christmas (really?). Other than that I could barely hear the names... It's like the voices on the dvd was recorded on low (Sly is not a loud talker to begin with) so it was pretty hard to hear what he was saying at times. I liked Arnold and Willis appearance as well. Speaking of Willis, [spoiler]I hear they're making a sequel and having him to be the villain this time around[/spoiler]. I don't know if that's true or not though. But yeah, this is definately the best movie I've seen in a long time (that's not been animated). No other movies have caught my interest, so yeah, Sly FTW. I'm ready for the sequel now.