OtakuBoards

Back to the Mac

James

[center][img]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6600/backtothemac.jpg[/img][/center]

[font=palatino linotype]I figured it was about time to create a topic for all things Apple. I've named this topic after Apple's most recent press conference title, but really, this is about [i]everything[/i] Apple-related, including iPhone/Pad/Pod.

Weirdly enough, the topic's title has extra meaning for me - and probably for some forum members who went to elementary school through the late 80's/early 90's. When I first began using a computer at school (1990), [i]all[/i] of them were Macs. Initially they all had green-and-black displays with no graphics whatsoever.

After a couple of years passed, I remember that we began to use computers a bit more extensively at school - most classrooms had a computer sitting in the corner and, more often than not, it was one of these:

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Macintosh_classic.jpg[/img][/center]

It wasn't until I entered high school that I really knew very much about Windows or Microsoft. I was a bit familiar with DOS (I had a couple of relatives who had computers when I was a kid), but Windows was a bit alien.

Eventually, closer to the end of high school, Apple pretty much fell off the radar and everything was about Windows. I got my first home computer in the late 90's and all of my computers - up to 2008 - were Windows-based.

In 2008, though, I bought my very first Mac. One of these:

[center][img]http://mymacbuzz.com/media/2007/imac-aluminium.jpg[/img][/center]

It's still my main computer, although now I have both OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 installed on it.

Anyway, it's kind of interesting to return to using Apple computers after so many years without them.

I prefaced my opening post with these memories because there would have to be millions of people around the world whose very first experience with an Apple product is the iPod, first released in 2001. For those people, Apple might have a very different meaning or attachment.

As for me? Well, although I'm kind of cheating by having Windows 7 installed on my iMac, I haven't actually owned a "PC" since...well, 2004, I guess. I wouldn't say I'm as crazy as some of the other Apple enthusiasts out there, but my current Apple lineup includes the following:

[list]
[*]iMac (2008)
[*]MacBook (2008)
[*]iPhone 4
[*]iPad
[/list]

I haven't included the numerous iPods and crap that have either been handed down to someone else or thrown out over the last few years. Admittedly I used to go through those fairly regularly - mostly because I pretty much never go anywhere without music, so I was always buying the latest iPod. Now that I have an iPhone, I don't really have to carry around a separate phone and music player, which is kind of nice.

So, before I keep rambling, I'd love to read everyone else's stories - especially those of you who are old enough to remember "the good old says" of Apple. Other than that, I figure this topic would be a good place to discuss Apple news, products - and maybe even to have a debate or two! :)[/font]

I've worked on a Macintosh for Graphics Design and it was pretty good, but I don't know much about the computers.

I've had a mass of iPods however. Mostly the Nano versions, but at the moment they've broke and been thrown out.

The last Nano I had broke, the whole thing had a nervous breakdown. Certain songs made it crash so I took them off, then the lead broke. I bought a new lead for it and some programme to transfer music from any computer without the iTunes programme. Since both the software and the lead were pretty much cheap/free software and hardware my iPod decided to have a fit. It pretty much died on me and froze all the time, oops.

That's the only experience I have with them. I don't know enough about Apple software so when I mess things up I'm not as good at fixing the problem like a Windows. I'm sure it's straightforward, but I'm used to Windows being incredibly crap and vulnerable.

I use my mobile for music now. It's Windows (WINDOWS ON MOBILES?!) and it's shockers. Luckily, because Windows is crap and easy to manipulate, I can get all the gadgets counterfeit or free. I'm sure any Mac computer or another iPod would just die on me if I abused it in such a way.

Though I want an iPhone. Is it worth the money, though? Hmm....

EDIT: Oh, and I want an iPad. I'm dying for one. In fact I'd love to kill someone for one. Edited by Vicky

[quote name='Vicky' date='31 October 2010 - 05:43 AM' timestamp='1288467780' post='701406']

Though I want an iPhone. Is it worth the money, though? Hmm....

EDIT: Oh, and I want an iPad. I'm dying for one. In fact I'd love to kill someone for one.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]The iPhone question is difficult to answer because I think it depends a lot on what you use your phone for. My primary reason to buy an iPhone originally was because I would literally carry a phone and an iPod everywhere with me. Buying a single device that incorporates both features was really a no-brainer.

I could easily have bought a different phone - in other words, a cheaper phone - that had MP3 playback capability, but that just isn't the same. These days I buy all of my music from iTunes and I manage all of my music through there as well. It makes no sense to go to any extra hassle with a product that isn't natively designed for iTunes - I definitely wanted something that would seamlessly replace my iPod, but also add the phone features and such.

As time has gone by, I honestly can't imagine going to another phone. There are some areas where iPhone isn't as great - the camera, for example, has only [i]just[/i] improved with the iPhone 4 - but I think the overall experience is about as good as I could imagine on any phone. I use the web frequently on my phone (and as far as I can tell, Safari on iPhone is still the best mobile browser out there by a long shot, especially on the iPhone 4) and the App Store has an enormous marketplace at this point in time (although admittedly I don't use very many third party apps on my phone - I actually don't like filling my phone with too much crap).

So it's going to be different for everyone. I think that, on balance, iPhone tends to give you an overall experience that you just can't get elsewhere. But again, it does depend heavily on how you use your phone and what you're into. :)

As for iPad, well, I use that almost exclusively for University. I've got a few third party apps on there (like NPR, a couple of games, a dictionary, etc...) but primarily I use it for email and for Pages. I have a few issues with iPad, but those very issues look to be addressed in the new software update that is coming within the next month or so. The biggest one for me is the inability to print directly from the iPad. That'll be included in the new iOS, so I'm pretty happy about that.

The only other thing is, I [i]had[/i] to buy a wireless keyboard for iPad. If you're actually planning to use the thing for any significant typing, then I think you'll really need one. The on-screen keyboard is certainly fine, but it's uncomfortable if you're trying to type out emails or documents. I actually prefer the iPhone's software keyboard, mostly because you can just use one thumb for everything. The iPad is a little awkward in that way.

If you do want an iPad though, I'd wait for the next model. It's true that with Apple especially, you could wait perpetually since new models of everything are released pretty regularly, but I would skip the first generation iPad. I don't know this for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the next iPad will not only be significantly lighter, but it should also include a FaceTime camera and a few other little improvements. I think it's worth waiting for that stuff.

I know there are more Apple owners here on OB! Where are you guys? :P [/font]

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='02 November 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1288706264' post='701471']
I have a black iPod Classic. :D
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Do you use it much for video?

I ask because, weirdly enough... I pretty much never put videos on my iPhone. I don't really know why. I even spend a lot of time on the train and yet, for some reason, I never really bother to use YouTube or pre-loaded videos.

Although my reason for not using YT is mostly because I actually don't like the iPhone/iPod app for it. The search feature somehow doesn't seem as good as the regular version - I don't know why. And it seems to lack a lot of the usability of the regular version. The only real advantage of it is that it keeps a history, which is kind of useful.

It also seems to compress videos horribly. I get the reasoning (3G, etc...) but still - if a video is already average quality, it'll be extra-average when using iPhone. :\[/font]

Video? No no no. One of the only videos I had on it was the "GINGERS HAVE SOULS" video and a variant there on, but I don't bother to watch films on such a tiny screen. I think I did once, namely Black Sheep because it had become a class inside joke.

But basically for long rides and such I turn to Podcasts, and overall I only listen to music. I'm bummed that Apple decided to replace the cool games the iPod Video had. The new music quiz and such are much less cool.

Also, I wish the iPod had a better way of regulating volume. I now always buy those little Sony in-ear phones which have an external volume regulator, because I can't be bothered to get my iPod out every time and everywhere I want to turn my music up or down.

I noticed the same problem with the iPhone app too when I tried my dad's phone. It doesn't work as fluently for me as I'd want it too, and I have a hard time finding videos I'd normally find right away. Hm.

About those old school Macs. I remember me dad telling me how they were first introduced at the newspaper he worked at, and the story was "It's so amazing! They're so small you can carry them around in a bag!" even though you'd break your freaking back trying to carry the huge bag around. Edited by Lady Shy

[quote=Lady Shy]Video? No no no. One of the only videos I had on it was the "GINGERS HAVE SOULS" video and a variant there on, but I don't bother to watch films on such a tiny screen. I think I did once, namely Black Sheep because it had become a class inside joke.[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Yeah, same here (well, I don't own "Gingers Have Souls"...yet). I think all I've got are a couple of music videos and stuff. I did have a couple of great video podcasts, but that's about it.[/font]

[quote=Lady Shy]Also, I wish the iPod had a better way of regulating volume. I now always buy those little Sony in-ear phones which have an external volume regulator, because I can't be bothered to get my iPod out every time and everywhere I want to turn my music up or down.[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Apple used to provide earphones that had a little controller on them, with volume and play/pause, next/previous track, etc...

I'm not sure if they still sell those - if they don't, that kind of sucks. It's not so much an issue for me, because I tend to hold my iPhone whenever I'm listening to music on it (well, at least if I'm on the train or something...)[/font]

[quote=Lady Shy]About those old school Macs. I remember me dad telling me how they were first introduced at the newspaper he worked at, and the story was "It's so amazing! They're so small you can carry them around in a bag!" even though you'd break your freaking back trying to carry the huge bag around.[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Haha, yeah it's so weird... I mean, I'm only 27 and yet I remember when [i]computers didn't have graphics![/i] It's bizarre to think about how far they've come since then.

It's also fascinating to see the evolution of Apple. Their comeback in 1998 was amazing.[/font]