OtakuBoards

PS3 Move and Xbox 360 Kinetic

CaNz

well as they come closer to release, these motion sensing devices are going to revitalize gaming with new and interesting concepts and games based around the ability to move an object rather than just pushing buttons (or they would have, if Wii hadn't done this years ago) for the mere price of 150$ for the Kinetic and 100$ for the Move.
[center][IMG]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/xbox-360-kinect.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/ps3-move-874443158.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]these additions have there own line up of games such as the guaranteed hit of sports champions (how do I know it will be great? Wii sports came out with a sequel it was so much fun) and Star Wars for the Kinetic (you get to be a Jedi, (waving around your hands like a light saber and use force powers by mimicking the movie motions, its gonna be cash) the line ups both have interesting selections that can both help and hurt there sales.

as far as price goes, it seems there is a clear winner with the complete system for PS3 move 50$ cheaper than Kinetic and all of its games are priced around 30-40$ while the Kinetic has games at a range of 40-50$ the only issue i see with the Move is the possible games in the future that will require the add on to the controller (like the nunchucks for the wii)

as far as technology goes, reviews are saying the Kinetic has a few bugs, and it has limitations... the ones I hear a lot are: Cannot be used in the dark, cannot be used within 6 feet of a TV and it cannot be used while sitting down.
The PS3 move is getting a lot less critisism after the PS eye update 3.00 came out. the only issues I have seen revolve around games that require both the normal controller in conjunction with the Move controller, but these cases are few and only pertain to the navigation capabilities of the games.

anyways I have said enough for now, what are your thoughts on these additions?

[color=deeppink]I'm almost definitely not going to get Kinect; the theory behind it is fine, but I've played games like this before. There's a first person arcade shooter that does something similar to this; I don't know if it detects you're there or uses a pressure plate or what, but to duck you had to actually crouch. And let me tell you, I played it for about 5 minutes and it [i]destroyed[/i] my knees.

And I'm not really a guy with knee problems. In fact, I'm typically a goddamn monkey, always crouching everywhere. There was just something about the way the game made me move. I imagine there's going to be something like that going on for Kinect.

Plus I'm not plopping down that much money for shovelware again.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy' date='02 November 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1288653494' post='701462']
[color=deeppink]In fact, I'm typically a goddamn monkey, always crouching everywhere.[/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]This is will have to go into the next Nifty Fifty, for sure.

I agree with Nerdsy. Although, I actually have a problem with the concept behind Kinect. While I'm sure there will be some types of applications that will work really beautifully with that kind of device, I wonder if the people who invented it have thought much further than its obvious novelty value.

Motion control or not, I think that physical interaction is a very important part of gaming. You may not actually be holding a gun or a baseball bat or whatever, but at least with the Move and the Wii Remote, you're still holding an object that has mass and feedback - as adequate or inadequate as they may be. But Kinect? I guess you're supposed to just clench your fists or something. I don't see it as natural or intuitive - in fact, for some games, Kinect could be downright counter-intuitive.

I think there is an assumption that if you remove physical controllers, you're also removing barriers and complexity. But I think the designers forget that humans instinctively want to touch and utilise physical objects as part of their interaction (with a game or a computer or whatever else). This is the thinking that led to the development of the mouse, for example.

I think that Nintendo are Sony are on the right track here. They understand that you can remove barriers and create intuitive controls while also having genuine physical interaction.

Probably the best design would be a combination of Kinect and Move together - a game that can recognise your gestures and your physical position, while also recognising the input from your controller.

I've seen some ideas for Kinect that are really cool, but as Nerdsy said, what if you are going to play a game for more than five minutes?

I'm sure there will be some brilliant apps for Kinect and many of the best ones are unlikely to resemble "traditional" games. But I would say that Kinect has a limited capacity beyond that.

At least with Move, Sony has taken Nintendo's idea and improved upon the technology. Whether or not they can deliver great software is another story, but I'm sure in time we'll see some really brilliant games taking advantage of Move.

In the meantime, I have no interest in owning either Kinect or the Move. I'm too busy playing Fallout 3 and Civilization V to care.[/font]

Whether it's the Wii, Kinect, or Move, I have supported the idea of motion control which is why it's been pretty hard for Nintendo to get me onboard with the Wii. While I'm all for change (to some degree) I rather continue playing my games like the lazy person I am. So it's pretty obvious that I'm going to be skipping Move and Kinect

Edit: Typo. That's suppose to be that I [b]DON'T[/b] support the idea of motion control. Edited by Phenom

the not being able to sit down factor is why i wouldt buy a kenetic even if it was five dollars, let alone one-hundered and fifty dollars. at least wth a wii mote you can get almost all the necisary movements while sitting. I just dont knowwhy peoplewould buy something that costs almost as much or more than the Wii, especially when the alternative has better games at a better price (old games for the wii like Twilight Princess ario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl have all droped to around 40$ and even cheaper used.) plus you have so many more games to choose from. maybe once this is out for a while and prices fall it will sound better to me... but i think this will flop.

as for the Move, it has a better shot. these guys took what nintendo did and tried to improve upon it. The Wii is not as capable a system as the PS3 so depending on the games... i say this could be great for sony. not to mention that the iteams are cheaper then either alternative provided you have a ps3 (the last time i said cheaper and playstation in the same sentence was ps1 i think) so thats reason enough for some people... plus it can open the genre from "adult gaming system" to "family fun system." If i did have a ps3 i would get it... but i dont... and i still dont have the kinda money to feel good about buying one... so i will let these additions pass me by.

[quote name='Phenom' date='02 November 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1288687561' post='701467']
Whether it's the Wii, Kinect, or Move, I have supported the idea of motion control which is why it's been pretty hard for Nintendo to get me onboard with the Wii. While I'm all for change (to some degree) I rather continue playing my games like the lazy person I am. So it's pretty obvious that I'm going to be skipping Move and Kinect

[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I think it's a shame for you to dismiss these products based on laziness. I say that not to judge how you play games (believe me, I don't like the idea of standing there and flapping my arms around for hours on end either), but rather because you don't [i]have[/i] to play that way with motion control anyway.

In fact, the only game on Wii where I really bother to stand up in front of the TV is WiiSports. And even then, you can play it the "lazy way" if you want to.

Most motion-based titles on Wii allow you to sit comfortably and only use very small/light movements - you can practically hold the controller on your knee and just rotate your wrist a little bit for many titles. When games give me the choice to play comfortably or with a lot of physical energy, I really don't mind.

One reason I object to Kinect is because I think it will be hard to get the full experience if you're sitting further back from the TV on your couch. The technology doesn't really seem to be designed to allow for that.

I think you should give motion control a second chance - there are absolutely titles available that will suit your style of play. Not every game on Wii is a WiiSports or Wii Fit-style product.[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]James has it on the dot; most Wii titles aren't really that motion-intensive. I can understand not wanting to jump around and flail like an idiot for hours on end, but most Wii games consist of nothing more than a flick and twist of the wrist, [i]if[/i] that. A lot of them even resort to the classic NES controller style of gameplay.

As for the Kinect and Move, eh. The Kinect reminds me of the EyeToy the PS2 had, which was fun when I was little, but otherwise would get old rather quickly. And I still say the Playstation Move is a Wiimote spraypainted black with a ball stuck on top of it. [I don't even have a PS3, anyway, so.][/font][/color]

[quote name='Phenom' date='08 November 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1289212428' post='701612']
I hear y'all and while my mom is determined to get a Wii I just don't have any interest in it. If they get more games that I'm interested in I'd probably have a little more interest.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]What type of games are you into?

Admittedly, if you aren't into the Nintendo fare (including core titles like Mario and Metroid), then life as a Wii owner is a little tougher. But there are quite a few pretty solid third party exclusives emerging as well.

I own a Wii, but I play it the least out of my consoles (I [i]would[/i] play Xbox more, but it died...and I still haven't replaced it).[/font]

And that's pretty much it. I'm not into they typical Nintendo games outside of Zelda and even then I'm burned out on that series. I'm into hack n slashers. The only game I can say I'm truly interested in for the Wii is Mad World (And I'm against buying a system for 1 game).

Hasn't Xbox learned anything about the PS2 Eyetoy? I tried the eyetoy out and it was incredibly frustrating and it grew tiring rather quick. I prefer to have my normal controller thanks. Also, when I play the Wii, I use the normal controller when I can as well. I am sure that there are quite a few people excited for this but it is just not for me. Edited by Japan

[quote name='Phenom' date='10 November 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1289390841' post='701717']
And that's pretty much it. I'm not into they typical Nintendo games outside of Zelda and even then I'm burned out on that series. I'm into hack n slashers. The only game I can say I'm truly interested in for the Wii is Mad World (And I'm against buying a system for 1 game).
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]So you wouldn't be interested in stuff like The Conduit 2, Silent Hill or even Red Steel 2?

When I think about it, there aren't very many hack and slack type games on Wii that I know of. I imagine your best bet for that type of game would actually be the WiiWare or Virtual Console services.

I'm not even really sure what hack and slash games there are on PS3 and Xbox 360, come to think of it. The genre doesn't seem as overcrowded as it once was.

I still remember trying to beat Fighting Force on the original PlayStation with my sister. Heh. Lame, I know. ;)[/font]

[quote name='James' date='11 November 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1289514289' post='701759']
[font=palatino linotype]So you wouldn't be interested in stuff like The Conduit 2, Silent Hill or even Red Steel 2?

When I think about it, there aren't very many hack and slack type games on Wii that I know of. I imagine your best bet for that type of game would actually be the WiiWare or Virtual Console services.

I'm not even really sure what hack and slash games there are on PS3 and Xbox 360, come to think of it. The genre doesn't seem as overcrowded as it once was.

I still remember trying to beat Fighting Force on the original PlayStation with my sister. Heh. Lame, I know. ;)[/font]
[/quote]
Red Steel 2 maybe. Conduit 2 not sure. Silent Hill no.

Hack n slash = action adventure... It's just I have a mean habit of saying hack n slash since of my favorite games are hacking and slashing. (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War) And then there's Metal Gear and Uncharted as well as rpg's (when I'm not being picky about what rpg it is). Edited by Phenom