OtakuBoards

Tangled

The Spectacular Professor

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion"]Kimba the White Lion[/url], mayhaps? That's the first thing that comes to mind, as there was a deal of controversy around it [as highlighted in that Wiki article].[/font][/color]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]To be honest, this is the first that I've heard of [b]both[/b] stories being influenced by an earlier cultural concept. Although its fairly common for anime to be influenced by Shinto/Buddhist ideas, or early Japanese culture and legends, I doubt that [u]Kimba[/u] was influenced by these factors, as there are no lions native to Japan. I will admit that I'm unfamiliar with early stories form both China and India, but I think its safe to rule out a Chinese influence on [u]Kimba[/u], based on the nearly uniform distaste that the Japanese have had for the Chinese and their culture for so long. It does seem possible for an India-based influence to be a contributor to [u]Kimba the White Lion[/u], I don't believe it plausible...

Given that Osamu Tezuka and Walt Disney did have some sort of professional relationship and respect for one another -- which involved Disney training Tezuka's animators to use colour-production for [u]Kimba the White Lion[/u] and Disney granting Tezuka the rights to put [u]Bambi[/u] in manga form -- its seems to me that Kimba is a more likely influence for [u]The Lion King[/u] than anything else. And as I stated above, it doesn't seem very likely to me that [u]Kimba the White Lion[/u] is influenced by and early-cultural story, Japanese of otherwise.

Because of how different the two stories are, I doubt that [u]Kimba[/u] has much, if any, influence on [u]The Lion King[/u]. No, I still stand by it being an original concept.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1293780056' post='703484']
I never said Kimba influenced the Lion King. I've never even seen Kimba, so that's a completely different topic all together. But to each their own, right? Haha.
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]You didn't really have to, it's just a very common allegation. I haven't seen [b]Kimba[/b] either, but I figure this is somewhat similar to the persistent and very incorrect claim that [b]Atlantis: The Lost Empire[/b] is a ripoff of [b]Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water[/b]. Having seen both of those, I can safely say that the people who say that are probably either rabid [b]Nadia[/b] fans who have never seen [b]Atlantis[/b] because it looks and sounds vaguely similar or bandwagon jumpers who have never seen [b]Nadia[/b].[/font]

I think it's safe to say that considering there are little original concepts made these days that most stories can be linked to other stories through common characteristics. If someone made a pirate movie right now it'd be crapped on for piggybacking Pirates of the Caribbean, just as any vampire films coming out are accused of hopping aboard the Twilight train. Even Hayao Miyazaki with all his unusual and non-cliche ideas can be compared to other stories if you try hard enough. I, myself, try to just enjoy stuff for what it is. When I saw Avatar, I was pointing at the screen saying, "There's John Smith talking to the Indians." The big picture may not be original, but how everything is intertwined is where the originality comes in; the characters, the plot twists, the ending, the music choice, etc. That's where you can start differentiating. Edited by Dragon Warrior

• 3 months later...
I just saw this movie earlier today!.... OHEMGEE... I loved it.
My favorite Disney story since... well.. Toy Story 3.... but still! it was really good!

This is old news to you guys... but I am sure you all know what I am going through right now.

[color="#006400"]So I just sat myself down and watched this movie and was very pleased. Probably the most entertaining Disney film I've seen since [i]The Emperor's New Groove[/i]. I couldn't get over the fact that Flynn's voice sounded familiar and was surprised to find it was the guy from [i]Chuck[/i].

Though I must admit my vanity, in addition to my crush on Mandy Moore drawing me to the movie, the fact that Flynn is one of the very few people in movies I could consider a possible 'celebrity look-a-like' played a factor, lol. They even got my nose right![/color]

[font="Century Gothic"][color="#000080"]I watched this movie a few weeks ago, I had to watch it a few times before I took it back to the RedBox. I love it. I thought the movie was adorable and Max, the horse, was my favorite character. xD I think they did a really good job on it and as soon as my daughter's second birthday comes around we'll be sitting down to watch it again. lol. This is defiantly a movie I want to add to my collection and watch with my kids for years to come. [/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]I saw this on base for like two dollars and didn't feel robbed at the end of it. My boyfriend however grudgingly admits it wasn't entirely a waste. He hates musicals though, but liked the horse. Did anyone else feel that the horse's character was more or less borrowed wholesale from the horse in Road to El Dorado? Maybe it's just me.

But either way I thoroughly enjoyed the whole shebang, especially the part where she has a reptile for a pet. And when she first tries to escape from her mother and ends up crying one second and being ecstatic the next. That's totally believable, and of course way too funny.
[/color][/size][/font]

I dunno... I think Maximus has way more personality than Altivo, and much better expressions. Plus my favorite part about Max was his rivalry with Flynn.

Also I watched Tangled again with my grandparents yesterday. Grandma loved it, and my Grandpa thought it was okay (the fact that he didn't pick out a million things he didn't like makes me think he enjoyed it), so pretty good reviews all around the Wittwer family.

[quote name='Raiha' timestamp='1303816994' post='706863']
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"] Did anyone else feel that the horse's character was more or less borrowed wholesale from the horse in Road to El Dorado? Maybe it's just me.
[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
I saw some similarities, but didn't really think much of it.

I saw this last week for the first time and WOW. I did not think I would enjoy this movie at all, but it was amazing! I ended up forcing half of my family to watch it and they all loved it! Maximus was everyone's favorite, though! He just has so much character!

Rapunzel's eyes were big to the point of being irritating, though, and the ever-present lisp did not help me soften up toward her.