OtakuBoards

What did you buy?

Magus

I've seen this at other forums and while they post a thread each month I figured why not just make it one big thread. I know this can also be discussed in the "What are you Playing" thread but I don't think people really talk about accessories in a game thread. Besides, the game you just recently purchased might not be the game you're playing. It's a good chance that you purchased the game and put it on the backburner until you finish up whatever it is that you're playing. Anyway, enough beating around the bush. Whether it was a gift or something you purchased post it. I know "lists" are rather taboo-ish but there's not really much to discuss in this kind of thread so I'm hoping we can be a bit lenient. (Especially if it's something you got from somebody else)

Anyway, to kick things off I'm expecting my Xbox 360 to arrive in the mail sometime this week. Got it as a gift.

The 1st games I'll be getting some time this week will be Assassin's Creed 1 & 2. Gamestop got a sale going on; buy 2 used games and get 1 free and only having $31 to my name at the moment I have to be as cheap as possible. That free game I've yet to decided what it will be.

Right now I'm trying to decide between Devil May Cry 4, Halo 3 (May get ODST If I get Halo 3), Mass Effect (If I get this, I'll get 2 online), Super Street Fighter 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, Gears of War (If I get this, I'll get 2 online) or Bayonetta.

wow.. those games you are deciding between are all amazing.. very hard choice.. the only one im not into is halo. ive never been into halo..

If you have a bunch of bros that always chill at your place, get Gears or SF4. SF4 is a classic party game and gears co-op rocks. Me and 4 of my bros played gears start to finish just passing the controllers every 20 minutes or so. Mass effect is one of the greatest games ever made if your into sci fi rpg's. I had it for both 360 and pc. personally i think its superior on pc. DMC4 is ultra stylish and easy. very laidback game. same with bayonetta. Arkham Asylum is great, but I got bored with it after a while.

Yes, now you see the pain I've been going through since Christmas. I've already played DMC4, Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, but the reason I'm still debating on whether I should get them are because those are some great games to take all of my frustration out on (I have a lot of rage pinned up).

ODST = bad decision!
Halo 3= best campaign other than the original... which should satisfy your playing alone urges.

Gears of War GREAT IDEA
best campaign for a shooter in any that I have played (though gow2 is a tie for me)
and the multi-player is fun by yourself because you can play with bots! woo!

but since you played all of those and still have rage... well why dont you try borderlands.
(just grab a used copy at a gamestop... and if you are not hooked in a day return it for full price.)

[font="Palatino Linotype"]How much of Halo 3 have you played? If you like what you've played so far, then I'd probably recommend Halo: Reach. I haven't played Reach yet, but from what I understand, it seems to be considered the last word as far as the entire Halo franchise goes, at least in the sense that it kind of exemplifies all the best bits of the previous games.

I really enjoyed Halo 3, although I'm now having to play through it again because my old Xbox died. Hm...

I also agree with the Gears of War recommendation. I haven't played GoW 2 so I can't really comment on that, but certainly, Gears of War is a great idea especially for cooperative campaigns.

My Xbox 360 game library isn't very large, so there isn't much more I can recommend really. I just recently purchased Rez HD and Limbo, both of which are utterly brilliant, but they aren't exactly "aggressive" action games.

One game that's worth giving a shot, though - admittedly it doesn't really seem to fit within your taste - is Mirror's Edge. It's very clever, very beautiful and it's certainly not devoid of action. However, there are not many moments where you actually fire a weapon or anything; the weapon-based segments are quite short. Frankly, you spend most of your time running from the enemy.

I just mention this one because it has a similar feeling of freedom as Assassin's Creed, in that you can pretty much go anywhere and perform all kinds of awesome stunts. Mirror's Edge just has a great feel; it's really exhilarating and there isn't anything else like it really.

Good luck on your choices - you'll have to let us know what you end up buying![/font]

I've actually completed Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 along with Devil May Cry 4 (epic games). As I've stated, the only reason why I'm even considering those games is because they help clear my head/cool me off.

I'll have to check into Mirror's Edge. I've seen videos and I do know I'll end up buying it one day. We'll see. I have a lot to think about today. I'll update with what I bought a little later on today.

[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1293543530' post='703393']
What's wrong with ODST?

I've played Borderlands just recently over my brother-in-law's house last week and I wasn't convinced to buy it. It's decent but it didn't give me any reason to want to play more of it.
[/quote]
ODST is all campaign.. which is kinda lame in the first place, but for the normal price-tag I just feel stolen from. (its multi-player is just halo 3 multi-player)
even worse though is how short the single player mode really is. I beat it on heroic in six hours. I could have gone back and played it on legendary but for one... there was only five enemies in that whole game and I got bored, and two I would have had to use stupid stealth tactics just to win. I don't know why they added that element because it barely ever works, and when it does it feels like you aren't playing halo.
you could probably get this one pretty cheap now... but you'll beat it once or twice and then drop it.

and I am kinda suprised you didnt like borderlands... it might be a bit too much of an rpg... but that game is by far my favorite 360 game so far.

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1293551440' post='703397']
ODST is all campaign.. which is kinda lame in the first place, but for the normal price-tag I just feel stolen from. (its multi-player is just halo 3 multi-player)
even worse though is how short the single player mode really is. I beat it on heroic in six hours. I could have gone back and played it on legendary but for one... there was only five enemies in that whole game and I got bored, and two I would have had to use stupid stealth tactics just to win. I don't know why they added that element because it barely ever works, and when it does it feels like you aren't playing halo.
you could probably get this one pretty cheap now... but you'll beat it once or twice and then drop it.

and I am kinda suprised you didnt like borderlands... it might be a bit too much of an rpg... but that game is by far my favorite 360 game so far.
[/quote]
Just so you know I'm all about single-player campaign. I'm not really into multiplayer unless I'm over my in-law's house.

For Borderlands, it's definately not the RPG part that didn't grab me (The tip that I'm planning to get Mass Effect should've tipped you off on that one). It's hard to explain why I don't really care for Borderlands.

So I just got back from Gamestop. Decided to get Gears of War 2 as the free game. It was an even harder choice once I got to the store.

i know i know.... no multi-player.. but for someone thats a single player buff i would figure a 6 hour campaign would throw you off... i mean... in Halo 3 you get to take out scarab tanks... in odst you can hide in the dark from grunts and pick them off with your silenced and scoped smg pistol combo.

(also as much as I love Mass Effect 2... its not much of an RPG.. its more like a very wordy shooter... because all of the actions you can take eventually lead you to the same place, and all the stat improvements really don't amount to much. you can auto level and pretend its just a shooting game and you'll be fine)The first mass effect game was a bit more RPG than shooter, but it kinda flip flopped in 2. I think its the trend games are going through these days. In the name of simplification they scrape away a lot of the elements that made them good RPG games. Edited by CaNz

Length never bothers me as long as the game replayable. Gungrave Overdose can be beat in about 4-6 hours but it's also replayable, especially since all you're doing is shooting stuff up (Just about everything is able to be shot) and its good for anger lol.

well... I would give you my copy had I not returned it the same week I got it.
I like Halo games for the most part... I am in love with Reach right now... but ODST just didnt do it for me.

I wont pretend that we have the same taste or anything.... if anything I am giving you a lower expectation so that you might enjoy it more when you try it out for yourself! :]

well... I could have played it more,,, but with the price tag at 60$ here and me thinking the game was going to plummet after playing it... I just dumped it for the twenty five bucks and ran.
I sure dont regrette it though... they sell the game for less than that now!

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered [b]Mass Effect[/b]. Now it's just a matter of days before I get to experience this "epic" ride/adventure. The only other Bioware that I've actually played was [i]Jade Empire[/i] and while I do think it was a nice game (I love martial arts stories) I think there was so much more that could've been done to make it better than what it was. More characters or something, I didn't exactly like the ones that were available and I think the "create a character" would've been great there.

So you can bet that I'm definately looking forward to creating my own character (that's also able to carry over into the 2nd game) not to mention shooting in one no less (I know, I said that I didn't care for Borderlands. It was not the shooting or RPG elements that made me not care for the game. I'll leave that with it's just hard to explain). Hopefully this will be a great experience considering I'm tired of the JRPGs, or rather, they're leaving a lot to be desired (along with annoying characters).

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#000080"][font="Book Antiqua"] In the last couple weeks I've been home, I first bought Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. Not a bad buy at all from the used rack at GameStop. My brother and I spent hours seeing who could take out the most mobile suits during whichever mission we were on(with multiple paths to take, we really didn't have to fight for kills until the end). The next buy? Halo: Reach. I checked out the commerical on the website the day before heading to best buy. Love at first sight. It was on sale or something at the store. My brother and I didn't sleep (at all) until we beat the game on legendary. Some of the missions were pretty tasking, especially when you start to crash from caffeine overload. Game Freak called and said I needed to buy the latest installment in the Pokemon series. So I had to get SoulSilver. Wheeeee...[/font][/color]