OtakuBoards

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Sangome

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1304112572' post='706948']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So yeah, this was...pretty epic, actually. We now know Pinkie's mental stability relies on parties, else she'll transform back into Pinkamena Diane Pie. I...think she's...actually grown on me after this episode. As much as I don't want to admit it.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I need a minute to process this, myself. I'm trying to decide if this adds to her character or just makes everything about her ever so slightly more disturbing.

All I know is that the last 20 minutes of my life were terrifying.[/font]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, finally caught up on the last 3 episodes!

The cutie mark one was fabulous! I was waiting a while for it! And yes. AMISH. FLIPPIN'. PINKAMENA. PIE.

The owl got on my nerves because with the eyelashes I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was female and that there would be some sort of big reveal about that...

And this week's episode. Oh my goodness. This is why Pinkie Pie is my favorite! You can relate to almost everything she does! Best episode ever!

[b]How can that last episode be so funny but so sad but so scary at the same time?

It was good to see a Pinkie Pie episode though. But why did it have to be so sad? I almost cried. D:[/b]

[quote name='chibi-master' timestamp='1304174446' post='706968']
The cutie mark one was fabulous! I was waiting a while for it! And yes. AMISH. FLIPPIN'. PINKAMENA. PIE.

And this week's episode. Oh my goodness. This is why Pinkie Pie is my favorite! You can relate to almost everything she does! Best episode ever!
[/quote]

[b]The cutie mark one was one of my favorites, since you got to see all of the ponies when they were younger.

Some of my favorite moments in the series are thanks to Pinkie Pie. Like how she acted at the party for Princess Celestia or when she went to go share a laugh with the dragon.[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1304126340' post='706954']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I need a minute to process this, myself. I'm trying to decide if this adds to her character or just makes everything about her ever so slightly more disturbing.

All I know is that the last 20 minutes of my life were terrifying.[/font]
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So wait. Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Did our perception of the same character just totally switch? Because...that's...that's funny. Hysterical, even.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Lilt' timestamp='1304178767' post='706972']
[b]
[s]I almost cried.[/s] D:[/b][/quote]

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2rohwyc.jpg[/img]

[b]Okay, after watching the last episode again, forget what I said. I cried. T_T

@Midgy Ninjy: Wow, the lip matchup on that is pretty good. xD[/b] Edited by Lilt

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So tomorrow is the season finale. I'm excited but sad at the same time. Do we have any idea of when season two will start? I heard production ends sometime in December, but they'll more than likely start airing new episodes way before that. I'm going to guess August, but I could be wrong.

Either way, we've been promised a Luna episode next season, and I hope it delivers. We need more Luna.[/font][/color]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Fun way to end a season, definitely. It's hard to top Cutie Mark Chronicles, but they did their best and the result was pretty darn great. Thoughts:

- Applejack, you silly pony. You should have known that refreshments would be provided!
- I'm honestly surprised that the Wonderbolts didn't show more interest in Dash. After all, even if she hadn't saved the lives of two of their members earlier this season, she's still performed a Sonic Rainboom twice now, and once was at a high-profile flying competition.
- Pinkie's entire segment needs to be set to the song "Boombox" by Lonely Island. Seriously.
- Fluttershy is the best pony. Love her or she'll freaking cut you.
- Prince Douchington is Equestria's most worthless pony. Why wasn't he banished to the moon? Where is the justice, Celestia?
- So apparently Celestia invited them all because the Grand Galloping Gala is far and away the most boring royal duty she has and she wanted a bunch of rowdy teenagers to liven things up by breaking stuff and frightening her exotic pets. If Trollestia wasn't a confirmed canon personality after A Bird in the Hoof, it sure as hell is now.

I'm gonna go let the withdrawal set in for the next five months or so.[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I dunno. This episode felt kind of blah to me, especially as a season finale. I liked all the call backs to previous episodes, with all the pony cameos, the dresses they were wearing, and whatnot, but I...I just wasn't feeling it like I was feeling the past handful of episodes. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was still good...but I guess I was expecting a bit more? I'm not sure.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1304711260' post='707163']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I dunno. This episode felt kind of blah to me, especially as a season finale. I liked all the call backs to previous episodes, with all the pony cameos, the dresses they were wearing, and whatnot, but I...I just wasn't feeling it like I was feeling the past handful of episodes. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was still good...but [b]I guess I was expecting a bit more?[/b] I'm not sure.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][spoiler]That was the moral lol[/spoiler]

Yeah, but I agree to an extent. It definitely wasn't the best episode in the series (like I said, Cutie Mark Chronicles wins that award), but I thought it was still fun and it did provide some satisfying closure to the thing closest to resembling a story arc that this show has, so it seems fitting to end the season on that note.

It occurs to me that Celestia is, all fanon aside, a very social and fun-loving ruler. I really can't blame her for her mischievous streak if she feels obligated to act proper all the time despite just wanting to have a good time with some good friends. Maybe part of the reason she sent Twilight off to learn about friendship is because she wishes she could spend more time with friends herself?[/font] Edited by The Professor

[font="Comic Sans MS"][url="http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/#comments"]Lauren Faust just announced that she'll be slowly stepping down from involvement in the show.[/url]

I posted my thoughts in the comments already, but that'll probably be a bit hard to dig up, so I'll just summarize them here:

I don't think it will be quite the same without her.

I don't think it will be terrible or any lesser in quality, but I think we'll all notice a difference. The writers, directors, animators and actors are all highly capable, and they've proven that over the course of the last season, so I'm confident they'll deliver more fantastic episodes in the next season. All the same, Lauren was kind of the reason this show was able to become so special in the first place. It was her love of the toys as a child and her determination to create a decent show for a demographic that's traditionally shafted that allowed [b]My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic[/b] to become so much more than the toyetic glurge the franchise used to be infamous for. She put her heart into this project and the results shone through. It's a shame she has to go, but in doing so, she leaves behind a standard of quality that serves as a shining example for both the show's staff and any girls' show following suit to live up to. Let's hope the second season maintains that quality, as I believe it can.[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Production for s2 is supposed to end some time in December, but chances are, we'll see episodes a little bit ahead of that. I'm projecting August/September, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, as for Faust leaving? I'm going to be honest here -- this has me worried. A lot. The level of creator/fandom interaction that Faust has had with us is nothing short of incredible. It's not something you see with a lot of shows. [Any creator/director that can brave the den of depravity known as 4chan and interact with fans deserves a freakin' medal.] But the fact that we're going to lose a lot of that interaction makes me worried that this is going to become some impersonal gobbledy-gook, which is not what got me into the show to begin with, nor did it for anyone else. And while she still technically has a position on the show, she's still not the director, meaning she's not going to have a whole lot of power over how the show turns out in the end.

Nngh. Maybe I'm being too cynical. I'll still watch season 2, but if they go the way of the goopy glurge that Faust worked so hard to get girls' cartoons out of...well. Let's just say I'm not going to be happy.

[/obligatory cynical post]

EDIT: [url=http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/season-2-information-from-kreoss-mlp.html][u]Okay, Derpy becoming an official character and the Luna episode being "pretty cool" takes the edge off it a little bit.[/u][/url][/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[b]That was a good episode to end on, I think. I liked how [spoiler]Rarity smashed her glass slipper so her 'prince' wouldn't find her. XD[/spoiler] And it really scared me when [spoiler]Fluttershy screamed 'come out!'[/spoiler] O.O I was not expecting that.

As for the news about Lauren Faust, I was a little worried too at first, but this is what I realized. She said that she wasn't able to have as much involvement as before in the show, so even if she didn't step down it would have been the same as if she did. Also, she's not completely off of the project so she can still help out with the storyboard and things like that. Also, everyone who worked with her is still on the team so it should be just as good of a show. It might have some changes, but hopefully nothing major though.

This quote was awesome though.[/b]

[quote="Lauren Faust"]Together I think we helped prove that â??for girlsâ? does not have to automatically equal â??lame.â?[/quote]

Well it's true though. The "for girls" in cartoons and other kids shows has made them into a huge blob of yuckiness for all the boys and pretty much the entire rest of the human population since neither mommy nor daddy want to watch fluffy unicorns going on adventures in strawberry land while riding on cotton candy clouds and singing songs about how happy they are that princes and princesses get along so well with their daughters.... Or they're just generally horrible - Such as this Strawberry girl one - don't know her name or them Barbie movies. [You can probably tell that I'm not too fond of girl cartoons, or most chick flicks for that matter. Emphasis on most.]

This show has kept the unicorns but ditched the overall mushy uber cutesy stuff that would make the average person puke rainbows and gall and replaced it with stuff pretty much everybody can enjoy because you see all the hidden wrongness as soon as you're older and enjoy it twice as much 'cause your little sister/brother has no idea why you're grinning to yourself so widely.

For example, they did a good job of combining rainbows with helluva awesome action, making the sonic rainboom:

[img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/720/mlpfimep1649.png[/img]

Also known as "orbital friendship beam".

Edit:

Is this unbelievably cute or just annoying?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9ZWJEuL_4[/media]
Edited by Grouchy Cat

• 3 weeks later...
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPqjKk_xCo[/media][/center]

Recently, The Hub released a commercial for the show with Pinkie Pie's [singing?] VA singing Equestria Girls, an obvious parody of Katy Perry's California Girls. The response was so positive, an extended version now exists, and while it's still fairly short, it contains a nice little shout out to the fandom if you give it a listen.

[spoiler]As well as the fact that DJ P0N-3 is now canon. I am very, very okay with this.[/spoiler][/font][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, folks, looks like American media has taken notice of our little fandom/subculture thingy.

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEDIFfy4Yg[/media][/center]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi27530dDCc[/media][/center]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFZ-adsKc8[/media][/center]

Well, that was overwhelmingly negative. Although considering the source of the first two, I think I'll take their bile as a compliment. Anyone else find it amusing how a harmless group of people who wave a banner of love and tolerance everywhere they go inspire so much contempt and hatred?

Is this what being gay in the 90's felt like?

[spoiler]Oh, dang. We're the new hippies.[/spoiler][/font] Edited by The Professor

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I can't really say I'm surprised, honestly. Nerds/internet subcultures + the media = overwhelming negativity. Whenever you hear about that sort of thing on the news, it's always BAAAAD and WEIIIIRD, unless it's news report #34384827894324 about the advent of Facebook or whatever.[/font][/color]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]So, due to the constant pressure [as well as being told I was Pinkie Pie so I had to see whether it was a compliment or an insult], I started watching this show last night. Despite only getting two episodes in, I've enjoyed it and am sure I'll continue to enjoy it as I progress through the series.

Oh, and Applejack's fake accent makes me /facepalm.

Edit: After watching those video clips I feel sorry for the male viewers of this show. It's a rarity that I keep up with news (TV news, anyway) so I didn't realize how much slamming bronies has been getting. My sympathy to you all. [/size][/font] Edited by Shishou

Wow, Ace... Those videos were harsh... I feel lucky that because I'm a girl I can watch MLP with little to no negative response. Also, I highly doubt that there's some overwhelming number of people trying to take off from work due to a My Little Pony obsession.