OtakuBoards

Upload limit on theO

Milkycat

Why is there a limit of only 3 pieces per 24hrs????
Does anyone know if you sign up for premium service if this limit goes away?
Also, it would be awesome if there were a countdown clock, like "Time remaining before you can submit again" kind of thing. I have no idea, to the minute, when I last submitted, so when I go to submit a new piece the next day I'm still getting the dreaded 24hr limit error. *sob*

[FONT=Calibri]There [i]is[/i] an established reason for the upload limit on fanart, wallpapers, cards, comics, and such. However, right now I can't recall [i]exactly[/i] how it's worded, and there doesn't seem to be a page in the FAQ addressing the item.

I'll see about getting both of those looked at here in the next day or two.[/FONT]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I'm 99.9 % certain the reason for the cap is to prevent people from flooding their submissions into the site, and to potentially prevent offensive stuff from being flooded as well [i.e. shock images]. Granted, you have to wait for your images to be approved [unless you are granted automatic approval], but I surmise it's easier on the mods that approve fanart/comics/whatever either way.

As for whether a premium will increase this, the premium page has this to say:[/font][/color]

[quote]Browse theOtaku.com with a streamlined, 100% ad-free design
View 32 thumbnails per page on every section
Have a cupcake next to your name on every comment and PM
Save signatures for comments and PMs
See everyone who's voted for your works
See who's online--both members and friends
[b]Submit one extra fan work per site per day[/b]
Send two extra gifts per month and have access to all gifts
Send up to 10 simultaneous PMs at once
Create five extra worlds
Embed up to seven images per world post
Artpreneurship Free Download: Learn the ins and outs of business for the creative mind
Support theOtaku.com, help us toward our goal of becoming 100% member supported! [/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]...which, in my opinion, if you're going to pay, I think it should be upped a bit more...but I don't run the place, so. But there you go! I hope that helped a bit.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1315420707' post='709329']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]but I surmise it's easier on the mods that approve fanart/comics/whatever either way.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
^ That, I'm sure. It's only a small bunch approving the art and if everyone started sending in 10 pictures a day, the job would become ridiculous for something voluntary. :V

[quote name='Boo']
[quote name='Sam'][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]but I surmise it's easier on the mods that approve fanart/comics/whatever either way.[/font][/color][/quote]

^ That, I'm sure. It's only a small bunch approving the art and if everyone started sending in 10 pictures a day, the job would become ridiculous for something voluntary. :V[/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]And thus the Auto-Approval system was bornĂ¢??and yet that still doesn't address the question of [i]why[/i] the limit, which was the general point.

Like I said, I'll be getting this looked at.[/FONT]

Just bumping this to see if we can get some answers. I am actually frustrated at this point. I uploaded 2 pictures and it would not allow me to upload a 3rd, I'm assuming because somewhere along the way I uploaded one at some mysterious time that I don't remember now within a 24hr period. Well, now I imaged I'd have to wait it out an entier 24hr cycle to get back on track. I don't like being limited in this way, but I'm really hoping that with a bought subscription to premium service we can at least get the limit upped to 6 per 24hr cycle or something~ /end.rant/ :annoyed:

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Honestly, if you are [i]that[/i] pressed for something to change, I offer up two solutions:

- Directly contact Adam via theOtaku PM or email

or

- Contact Beth [SunfallE] via theOtaku [PM, email, or when she's hanging around in theOtaku's Chat].

Your best bet is that second one, because I believe Adam rarely, if ever, actually looks at his PM box, and I have no idea about his email. But Beth is sort of the "ambassador" for Adam, so to speak - you can voice her concerns to her, and she can pass it along to Adam, who she has direct contact with daily.

That and, while I have no idea what Al's cooking up there, the people who can directly influence change in theO like that rarely venture to OB, so they are probably not going to see this topic unless someone directly links it to them [which might be what Al was planning], or by a sheer stroke of luck, they actually turn up. So those are your best bets.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Sangome'][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]while I have no idea what Al's cooking up there[/font][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Sangome'][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]- Contact Beth [SunfallE] via theOtaku [PM, email, or when she's hanging around in theOtaku's Chat].

[/font][/color][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"] [which might be what Al was planning][/font][/color][/quote]
:smirk:

[FONT=Calibri][b]Edit:[/b] I have been told by [COLOR=DarkRed]SunfallE[/COLOR] that she and [COLOR=DarkRed]Adam[/COLOR] are discussing the subject. However, nothing has been decided in any official capacityĂ¢??so aside from noting that, regardless of the decision, there will [i]still be[/i] a submission cap, that's as much as I can tell you at this point in time. In the meantime, three submissions a day should get you caught up faster than you think right now (unless you create more than three drawings a day; and if so, more power to ya), so have patience.

And always remember to keep the site content guidelines in mind. (^_^)[/FONT] Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='Allamorph' timestamp='1315518303' post='709350']
:smirk:

[font="Calibri"][b]Edit:[/b] I have been told by [color="darkred"]SunfallE[/color] that she and [color="darkred"]Adam[/color] are discussing the subject. However, nothing has been decided in any official capacityĂ¢??so aside from noting that, regardless of the decision, there will [i]still be[/i] a submission cap, that's as much as I can tell you at this point in time. In the meantime, three submissions a day should get you caught up faster than you think right now (unless you create more than three drawings a day; and if so, more power to ya), so have patience.

And always remember to keep the site content guidelines in mind. (^_^)[/font]
[/quote]

Thanks! I do understand. It's that I have a backlog of art about 5+ yrs in the making. So yes, I could hypothetically submit over 75 pieces a day and still not get caught up for a while.. But I will be patient, and also sign up for premium service next week.

[FONT=Calibri]It appears as if [COLOR=DarkRed]Adam[/COLOR] has reached a decision: the upload limit has been marginally increased. The news post on TheO can be found [url="http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/1698/yo_dawg%2C_we_herd_u_like_submissions.../"]here[/url].

I'll be ... interested, let's say, in seeing the reactions.[/FONT]

Awesomesauce. :3 Thanks!

[quote name='Allamorph' timestamp='1316147296' post='709466']
[font="Calibri"]It appears as if [color="darkred"]Adam[/color] has reached a decision: the upload limit has been marginally increased. The news post on TheO can be found [url="http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/1698/yo_dawg%2C_we_herd_u_like_submissions.../"]here[/url].

I'll be ... interested, let's say, in seeing the reactions.[/font]
[/quote]

[color="#4169E1"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]As Allamorph pointed out a decision was made on a new limit and I posted the update news for that last night over at theOtaku. [/font][/color]

[quote name='Allamorph' timestamp='1315435648' post='709332']
[FONT=Calibri]And thus the Auto-Approval system was bornĂ¢??and yet that still doesn't address the question of [i]why[/i] the limit, which was the general point.
[/FONT][/quote]
[color="#4169E1"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Now as for why there is a limit it comes down to several reasons. The biggest reason is staff is all volunteer. We do not get paid for helping run the site. This is part of what keeps it a free service vs one you would have to pay for. The next reason is to avoid flooding, something that has been an issue in the past. I've had to deal with that sort of thing and believe me, it's a headache.

Putting that aside though there are reasons for the artists themselves. No one likes it if one artist submits a lot of things and dominates the main pages because they have so many submissions in. That's been a sore spot with people for a very long time and I can't say I blame them. In the last year Adam has added a random feature to the site and made nice pages for each and every section so it's a combination of the feature, most viewed and newly submitted. It's all done to strike a balance and yet still keep it easily managed.

Now that a new limit has been introduced we'll monitor it to see just how effective it is and how well people like it. If there are other concerns you can always pm me directly over at theOtaku or send me an e-mail at [email="[email protected]"]Beth[/email]. Every thing I get from members I keep on a list and periodically go over and discuss it with Adam. We can't always implement everything but we do keep track of what people are interested so we can constantly improve the site. [/font][/color]