OtakuBoards

New games for me, old for the world...

Syk3

Well, I just got some of the best games. They might be old, but they are fun to play. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (rated platinum by egm) and FFVII, what i believe is the most influencail ff game. Any tips u can give me? Especailly FFVII. Thanx

*Wipes tear from eye*

It's allways great to see someone play FFVII for the first time, being of coarse the awesome game that it is . Now tips for FFVII... that could be kind of tricky. Seeing as FFVII is such a huge game, and there are so many things to do, it's hard to give out just 'tips'. So unless you know what you are looking for, just have a browse over a strategy guide, that will help. But if you need some specific tips, like chocobo breeding, level raiseing, or materia, just ask :-D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gohan [/i]
[B]Well, I just got some of the best games. They might be old, but they are fun to play. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (rated platinum by egm) and FFVII, what i believe is the most influencail ff game. Any tips u can give me? Especailly FFVII. Thanx [/B][/QUOTE]

So far, I've played every Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and I have to say that with each one, my respect for the series grows. The main thing that this series has(besides the brilliant gameplay and physics that have been copied, but never completely replicated) is truly unique and fun level design. What I've noticed is that for the first time in ages, your high score matters! I played over and over again, just to break my own records and that of my pals. You'll be playing that game for a long time to come even after you've unlocked everything.

Final Fantasy VII, like NeoCactuar said, is very deep and involving. The spectrum of possiblity for giving tips is so large that you have to be specific. Chocobo breeding is something that takes hours if you want S rank. Furthermore, the Materia system has a deep quality that has often gone underappreciated by some of the rpg public. For more involving tips, I agree that you should pick up the strategy guide(or check out a faq) and only use it when needed. It should be relatively cheap by now. Either that, or check out the Final Fantasy forum. I'm pretty sure that you'll find some advice there. Once again, I must reiterate that you go through it once without relying on a book for the secrects and then go through it again and pick up everything. That's how I got the most enjoyment out of it...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B] Once again, I must reiterate that you go through it once without relying on a book for the secrects and then go through it again and pick up everything. That's how I got the most enjoyment out of it... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, i compleatly agree. Playing a game the first time with a Walkthrough or cheats ruins the game for me. The first time i play every game, i do it all myself. As the game developers wanted me to do it. I only ever use cheats/tip guides the second or third time through. Or if i am SO stuck it is ruining the fun of the game. But even only in that situation i will just glance at it for the bit i am stuck at. Nothing more.

As for a good place to find a FAQ or Guide, try[URL=http://www.gamefaqs.com]GameFaqs[/URL] that should provide you with a bit of help in a tricky situation.

Hmmm..... that's wierd..... I haven't played any of them games, but I've played most of the new games I've ever seen..... :drunk: But I must say, from what I've seen, thps2 is a great game..... but I suppose you can't always rely on the box of a game..... :rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]Hmmm..... that's wierd..... I haven't played any of them games, but I've played most of the new games I've ever seen..... :drunk: But I must say, from what I've seen, thps2 is a great game..... but I suppose you can't always rely on the box of a game..... :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, never judge a game by it's box. Well there's an argument there, game boxes have screenshots and more information than a book cover. But well yeah off topic :P

True THPS2 is very fun but out of the Tony Hawk game series, it is probably my least favorite. Why you may ask? Well The original Tony Hawk game, i got pretty soon after it came out and loved playing it, because... well... it was the original. So much fun stuff to do, like racing your friends in Downhill Jam. The music was great, and it had superb gameplay.

THPS2 on the other hand, diddn't really play much of, so that's why it's my least favorite. Plus for me when i did play it, it just diddn't mesure up to what i was expecting.

THPS3 Now that is a good game, on the PS2, it had a wicked level design and create-a-skater mode. Plus new and original levels. That for me made it the best Tony Hawk game on the market for PS1 or PS2.

So for those of you with a PS2, don't go and waste your money on THPS2 i say, go and get THPS3, because it is a sequal that IS better than the original. But if you only have a PS1/PSX then THPS1 or 2 is still a great game.:toothy:

[COLOR=darkblue]That's a really good starting set for the PSone...I believe that THPS 3 is also for the PSone...but the quality isn't that good as the PS2 version or THPS 2.

FFVII: Redefined the RPG genre to become more than just a target for a select group of gamers. (Easy to learn how to play, but it can get really deep, especially during Disc 3).

THPS 2: Further improved the original by adding Manuals that can add up to some large combinations and much more options and modes. I guess better graphics also.[/COLOR]

Well, it's really tough to say which one is the worst in the series, but I'll have to say that it's the first one. This is an opinion based more on gameplay preference than anything else. I believe that the developers spent a lot of time perfecting the engine for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and trying to find a perfect groove for the series. When they made the game, they were trying to see "what works" and "what doesn't." Of course they wanted to maintain the realism of professional skateboarding, but they also wanted to capture a fantasy aspect to expand on the overall enjoyment of the game.

By tweaking the engine for the sequal, they only managed to perfect the game for PSX. As Rico stated, it was the birth of the manual in the series, which allowed awesome possibilities for combos and high scores. I also liked the addition of "perfect" and "sloppy" landings-they really motivated me to abandon reckless styles. Gaps were also pure genious; I loved the Bull Ring level just because of that one gap.

The overall physics of the game seemed to flow more smoothly as well. For some reason, Hawk 2 was just easier to play. It seemed as if your Skater stayed in the air longer. This is once again, gameplay preference. Hardcore gamers seeking nothing but challenge would probably adore the first one's less forgiving gameplay.

The bells and whistles were a lot better too. The Park Editor and simple, yet nice, Create a Skater were huge improvements(park editor in particular) that can only be expanded on in forth coming installments.

When it comes to Hawk 3, I agree with Neo Cactuar. Heck, I skipped Hawk 2X for the Xbox simply because this sequal destroys it. By populating levels with life and furthering the creativity of level objectives, Hawk 3 managed to unsurp Hawk 2 as the king of skateboarding games. Online mode did wonder for Hawk 3 as well....

The main problem with the PSX Hawk 3 is that, it doesn't really improve upon the second game's formula. The developers tried to duplicate the impressive level designs of the PS2 counterpart which turned out to be a big "no-no." Choppy gameplay and crappy draw distance set the thrid one back if anything.

THPS2 is a great game which I've played for a long time until I got THPS3. It's a fun game and was pretty challenging for me so that made it even better. Personally, I like it better than 1 but less than 3 but that's just my opinion.

I'm still playing FF7 and it's a pretty good game so far but I'm still on Disc 1 It's not too tough and has a good plot. One huge game but it never drags (well maybe sometimes). It's nice to know someone else is playing FF7. I used to think I was the only one since every1 I know is playing FFX now.

It's in the first Midgar reactor right before you get to the spot where you detonate the bomb if memory serves me correctly. Fifteen minutes should be [I]plenty[/I] of time to get there.

Let's not get too far into a Final Fantasy discussion though, as there is a forum specifically for that.

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about New York. If so, there are two hidden areas and one of them is relatively large. There are several ways to get to the first one. If you head straight from the start, you will run into a low wall. You can wallride that wall and jump on top of it and go to the other side. Sometimes, there is a downed pole you can grind up to get you to the top of the wall, but I don't know how that gets there. If you can get on the train tracks, you can just ride the train tracks over the wall. The subway station with the tracks is the other secret. To get there, you have to get all five tokens first. Then just head straight from the start until you pass a large support on your right, then turn around. Skate forward, but cut through the kickers, to the right. You'll reach the escalator. Go up there, and then out onto the tracks. Grind down the rails, keeping your balance, until the "Ride the Rails" gap is added to your trick list.

Well I had the same problem..... but I didn't grind those hidden areas Crazy White Boy.... I just did a huge jump of a ramp, and did one of those handplants on a rail that's hanging off a roof.... and it came up as ''Ride The Rails'' then.... wierd... :rolleyes:

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gohan [/i]
[B]Thanx a lot for the info guys. I hav only played FFVII once, but i still havn't gotten to the first save sphere. Should it be taking more than 15 mins to get? Or is it hidden some place that I can't find? [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]Ah, Final Fantasy VII is one of my favorite games, but there is too much stuff for me to remember the first save point. You may want to try a walkthrough site: [url]http://www.geocities.com/nubuhyper/sevenwalk.html?[/url]

As for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, I find this, and other skating related games, to be over-rated. But it looks as though you are having some help in that section anyway.[/COLOR]

:blah: