OtakuBoards

evangelion instrumentality explained

Sephiroth

many times I have been asked what instrumentality is, and now, I shall answer once and for all, I expect no more questions on it, at least not for a long while!

It basically ends the physical world, collapsing it into the nothingness of consciousness.

The purpose of the instrumentality of mankind is complementation. This complementation is of a person's consciousness, turning it into everything.

-----
Shinji: What feeling is this?
That I feel like I have experienced before.
My body seems like it's disappearing.
Agreeable.
I feel like I'm spreading, and becoming large,
to here, there and everywhere.

That was the very beginning
of the complementation of the people
by the instrumentality of man.
the thing people lost.

the lost minds.

complimenting the vacuum in the mind.
The complementation by the instrumentality of minds and soul begins. All things return to nothingness.

The complementation by the instrumentality of man has just begun.
------

Removing the AT Fields would turn everyone into one, effectively neutralising them and turning them into "nothingness" so that Shinji becomes everything. Shinji thus becomes God in the sense that his consciousness is everywhere. Everything becomes his own world.

---
Ryouji: This is what you wanted.
Asuka: Destruction, Death, the return to nothingness, All of these did you wish for.
Misato: This is reality.
Shinji: What's reality?
Rei: Your world.
Makoto: With time, with space, with other people, a world of your own.
Shigeru: The world where how to accept things and how to perceive things is absolutely up to you.
Maya: It's your world, only given to you now,
That is reality.
Misato: Your world, which nobody else can deal with.
---

Consciousness however is not something "in-itself". You can't just be conscious, you have to be cosncious of something. So consciousness is a nothingness in the sense that it only exists by being conscious of something else. Because in this world there is nothing except his consciousness, everything becomes "nothing", vague and undefined. There is only him and since he is completely free and exists everywhere, he can't figure out his own shape with nothing existing outside of him.

---
Shinji: The world of freedom.
Shinji: Freedom?
Shinji: The world of freedom which will never be restrained by anybody.
Shinji: Is this Freedom?
Shinji: Yes. The world of freedom.
Rei: As a result, there's nothing.
---

Shinji: Ayanami... where are we?
Rei: This is the sea of LCL... The primordial soup of life. A world without AT Fields... without your own shape. An ambiguous world where it is impossible to tell where you end and other people start.
A fragile world where you exist everywhere, and thus exist nowhere.
Shinji: Have I died?
Rei: No, everything has just been joined into one. This is the world you have been hoping for... your world.

---
Shinji: This is the world of nothing, space with nothing,
the world of nothing.
The world with nothing but me.
I am understanding myself less.
I feel as if I'm going to disappear.
My existence is fading away. Why?
Misato: Because there's nobody but you.
Shinji: Nobody but me?

there, if you still don't understand, tell me what it is you don't understand....

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
I thought I probably was the only one to get what was going on with the project. But Sephiroth apparently you also understood the ending quite well. But here is one question that still bugs myself to this day. When Asuka said she felt sick, did she die or was dying at that point? Many have argued that she died, others simply say she was left with all that damage but did in fact live. That part still seems to be unclear to many, personally I think she did live and that Shinji and here were the last two on earth.

In a way it seems like Adam and Eve in a sense all over again, but then Again look at the Title. Neon could stand for Neo which means New. Genesis is the first book in the bible, which tells the story of Adam and Eve. So when we put those together it means, New Genesis. I haven't figured out the Evangelion part but the only reference I have to that is an Evangelist and that wouldn't make sense. Or possibly the Evas were the Evangelist that would bring about a New Genesis.

Well sorry if this sounds like babbling but when you decipher that it comes out to New Genesis Evangelist. Now if we drop the Evangelist part we get New Genesis. Could this be the real idea behind Evangelion. Well maybe im just reading into this more than I should but either way I would like to know your thoughts about this theory!:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick Hunter [/i]
[B]I thought I probably was the only one to get what was going on with the project. But Sephiroth apparently you also understood the ending quite well. But here is one question that still bugs myself to this day. When Asuka said she felt sick, did she die or was dying at that point? Many have argued that she died, others simply say she was left with all that damage but did in fact live. That part still seems to be unclear to many, personally I think she did live and that Shinji and here were the last two on earth.

In a way it seems like Adam and Eve in a sense all over again, but then Again look at the Title. Neon could stand for Neo which means New. Genesis is the first book in the bible, which tells the story of Adam and Eve. So when we put those together it means, New Genesis. I haven't figured out the Evangelion part but the only reference I have to that is an Evangelist and that wouldn't make sense. Or possibly the Evas were the Evangelist that would bring about a New Genesis.

Well sorry if this sounds like babbling but when you decipher that it comes out to New Genesis Evangelist. Now if we drop the Evangelist part we get New Genesis. Could this be the real idea behind Evangelion. Well maybe im just reading into this more than I should but either way I would like to know your thoughts about this theory!:) [/B][/QUOTE]

asuka was dying at the point, but she did not die, when shinji said he wants to live in a world with pain and suffering, and not become part of instrumentality, part of the lillum, instrumentality chucked at shinji someone who quite basically felt the same way, asuka, for them both to become neo adam and eve, to start a whole new genesis all over again, just like you said, shinji may have been choking asuka in the end, but he did not kill her, even though the show ended on a note which people thought he did kill her....

here's another interesting concept, don't you think its interesting that SEELE are named after an ancient god whom children were sacrificed to, look at the eva children....

I babble too much, I think I'll shut up now....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]

asuka was dying at the point, but she did not die, when shinji said he wants to live in a world with pain and suffering, and not become part of instrumentality, part of the lillum, instrumentality chucked at shinji someone who quite basically felt the same way, asuka, for them both to become neo adam and eve, to start a whole new genesis all over again, just like you said, shinji may have been choking asuka in the end, but he did not kill her, even though the show ended on a note which people thought he did kill her....

here's another interesting concept, don't you think its interesting that SEELE are named after an ancient god whom children were sacrificed to, look at the eva children....
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hmm. I had the same Question!! Now I see, Thanks Seph...

:therock: :mrt: Peace!!:demon: :naughty:

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Its amazing how even after so many times watching this film, for the anime review and I completely over looked the Seele part. Honestly after so many times I should have picked it up by now!:p Goes to show you how even after so many times its still worth watching to find out more similarities!

Your right about that Seele theory isn't it just so ironic!

Well if you have any more theories or comments please indulge I haven't really been able to discuss Evangelion with anyone in a long time!