OtakuBoards

4 buttons on GBA

VP-Master

I dunno if this topic has been brought up before but I was wondering how you guys feel about there being only 4 buttons on the GBA. Sure it's an improvement from the 2 button GB/GBC but the thing is since the GBA is very similar to SNES with many SNES remakes I thought it should have had 6 buttons similar to a snes controller. I heard my friend telling me that the GBA controls for Super Mario World was confusing since there are only 4 buttons and not 6 like snes. If the system got cramped with the additional 2 buttons, they could have made it a little wider to fit in the 2 new buttons under the A and B. Anyways, what do you think about it? :wigout:

Doesn't matter, what's done is done. I'm sure they will find away to make all the future games. Besides, the Super Mario World controlls are not hard, your friend may hav just gotten used to the snes controller. Don't worry, nintendo can do it. Plus, 2 more bottons would hav made the gba too big to fit in ur pocket.

I'm surprised that you brought up Super Mario World's control scheme. In my opinion, it's quite easy to pick up and play and does not really suffer in the conversion.

The only real problem with fewer buttons lies in fighting games. Conversions such as Tekken and Street Fighter are now watered down. Shifting weapons in Doom can kinda be a hastle too. However, by nature something like Tekken would have to be scaled back on a little handheld. Nintendo probably intentionally put two face buttons on to make sure that games remain simplified and friendly to gamers of all ages.

[color=indigo]I do think that Nintendo should have included the X and Y buttons, but I don't think that they're necessary for most games. And I think it would be a bit cramped if the size remained the same.

I think that on the next Game Boy, they should keep the horizontal design, but make it a bit taller so they can add the X and Y buttons. And they should make it so the L and R buttons have to be pushed in a little farther, more like the SNES and N64 R and L buttons.

Btw, the GBA [i]has[/i] six buttons: Start, Select, A, B, L, and R. I think you meant that it should have [i]eight[/i] buttons, not six.[/color]

O god. Ok, it's 8 for that matter or if more contrevery is brought up, as many buttons as snes had is what I think GBA should have. I didn't think Start and Select were hardcore buttons for gaming and I thought a cursor was well, a cursor and not a button. Maybe it doesn't matter for many games but many of fighters suffer with such few buttons.

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]fighters are just so boring to mek i mean u beat the game with each char then your done with it
where as i like games with a story where you can read what you want from the story
now if they made a fighter RPG that might be cool... thou i think MKA:SZ tried to do that... but it didnt work that well
anyway i have seen a few RPGs where it was Real Time battles and they were pretty fun
but i dont see the point of a fighter on GBA i wouldnt play that in the car on a trip it is supposed to entertain me in the car not make me more bored than i already would be
thou i guess if you dont have that much imagination you probalby wouldnt like the type of games i do
i dunno :huh: [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

I read egm a lot so i found out about sum fighting games for game boy advance. Tekken Advance was made, and got poor ratings. Then, there was Mortal combat. It was the first time in history where i saw a game rated a 0.0. I guess they cannot make fighting games very good on gba without those 2 extra bottons. Atleast the other games are good.