OtakuBoards

GCN Arcade Hardware "Triforce"

Treble

[i][color=royal blue][size=1]Nintendo of Japan has announced that an arcade board based on the GameCube hardware is in joint development between Nintendo, Sega, and Namco. The hardware is being called the Triforce board, and is aimed to accomplish several things. Nintendo highlighted three points, listed as follows:

?Expand the videogame market

?Create a less expensive development environment for the high-cost arcade sector

?Offer new ways to play videogames, linking the arcade and home market

In a world where arcade hardware is often prohibitively expensive, the low-cost, efficiently powerful GameCube hardware could provide an attractive solution. The exact details of how the hardware will be amended has not been announced, nor have the details of Namco's and Sega's exact involvement.

IGNcube has long heard rumor of Namco's Soul Calibur II being developed on a GameCube arcade board. It seems that possibility is now stronger than ever.

More important to this announcement are that the three companies have stressed wanting to offer up new ways to utilize the arcade market in parallel with home consoles. IGNcube has also heard rumor that the said companies are working on developing a similar system as featured with Neo Geo long ago, where you can play at the arcade, save your data, and take it back home. Sega has recent experience in this area with its Club Kart Card technology.

Namco is rumored to be in development with its own twist on Super Smash Bros. Melee, featuring Namco characters. This would be a perfect example of a title that could well utilize keeping track of arcade statistics as well as your progress at home.

Nintendo plans to demonstrate a prototype of the Triforce arcade hardware on February 22 in Makuhari at the AOU 2002 Amusement Expo. Interestingly, Soul Calibur II will be shown at the event in playable form. Hopefully representatives at the show can now confirm once and for all if the title will be featured on this new GameCube-based arcade hardware.[/color][/size][/i]

[size=1][color=royal blue]Source[/size][/color]:[url=http://cube.ign.com]IGNCube[/url]

[size=1] Interesting ain't it?, I would love to see how Soul Calibur II looks like on the "Triforce", but we'll see this info isn't yet confirmed, as for Namco's little twist in for Melee that would be something nice to see Pacman,and other Namco Fighters in Melee yet neither is this confirmed yet.

We'll see IGNCube will be getting more information on the Triforce,on the upcoming week or so.:)

Anyways to the question who else besides me is interested in Nintendo's partnership with Sega & Namco's "Triforce Arcade Hardware"?[/size]

[COLOR=darkblue]Hmm, it sounds a lot like Sony's System 246 Hardware or Sega's older Naomi stuff... It sounds really interesting now that Nintendo and Sega are finally joining forces after so many years of rivalry. With the "Triforce" hardware it'll make it way easier for a home port translation with some improvements maybe.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]SC2 on gcn would sooooooooooooo sell a few systems... there are a lot of die hard fans of that game that would have to get it if it came out for it and ONLY it... nintendo should get some good companys to sign[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]nintendo should get some good companys to sign[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]They do have good companies making games for the GCN... Pretty much all of them except Square... The one thing that Nintendo is missing.

This sounds interesting, although it won't really affect me. There's only one or two arcades in my town, and there's not many games in them. That and there really aren't many arcade games that I'd want to play, that I can't get on a console.

Edit: It's official! Go [URL=http://www.nintendo.com/news/news_articles.jsp?articleID=6282]here[/URL] to read all about this at [url]www.nintendo.com[/url]![/color]