OtakuBoards

School Board Regulations

Heaven's Cloud

[color=indigo]
I am not sure how many of you are aware of this, but right now there is a huge debate occuring within America's educational system. The debate is over whether or not private and home school students should be regulated by the public school system. In other words, the ciriculum that private and home schooled students use must be approved by the public school system. This will create a standard for learning in both privte school and home school situations.

So my question for you is SHOULD THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM BE ABLE TO REGULATE LEARNING IN BOTH HOME AND PRIVATE SCHOOL ATMOSPHERES?

I am going to play devils advocate for awhile before I post my opinion and reasoning...[/color]

[color=deeppink]I don't think that they should be able to regulate home school cirriculum. I don't know much about homeschooling, but what I've learned from talking about it with homeschooled kids, is the main reason parents teach their kids is to be able to provide a better education...(er...duh, but yeah...)

Parents who homeschool obviously see a flaw in America's (or elsewhere) public education, which is government regulated mind you, so they teach their kids what they think they should learn!

While I'm sure they have legitimate arguments, it seems ridiculous that someone would want to start [i]regulating[/i] what is taught in the home. If the parents want to teach their kids that 2+2=5...it's none of the government's damn business :p

Perhaps I will read up on this debate and give further input later...and see if my opinion has changed :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]
I am not sure how many of you are aware of this, but right now there is a huge debate occuring within America's educational system. The debate is over whether or not private and home school students should be regulated by the public school system. In other words, the ciriculum that private and home schooled students use must be approved by the public school system. This will create a standard for learning in both privte school and home school situations.

So my question for you is SHOULD THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM BE ABLE TO REGULATE LEARNING IN BOTH HOME AND PRIVATE SCHOOL ATMOSPHERES?

I am going to play devils advocate for awhile before I post my opinion and reasoning...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=tomato]Well, I didn't even know that this debate was going on (that's how much I pay attention to the news! :D ), but I have an opinion. :)... sorta

I think that the public school system should be able to regulate learning in public schools... obviously. I don't think that they should have a say in how public or home schools are run. Don't the private and home schools have some sort of "board" or something to answer to? Because if the private and home schools answered to the public school system they would be publie (in a way) also. I hope this makes sense :). [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]
SHOULD THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM BE ABLE TO REGULATE LEARNING IN BOTH HOME AND PRIVATE SCHOOL ATMOSPHERES?

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

LMAO! The public school system can't even regulate their OWN system, let alone that of others?... LOL Fat chance for any of that.... it doesn't matter, education money just goes to buy bigger houses for more politicians.... I hate politicians... well the bad ones... like everyone from Florida.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I have to agree with what most of you are posting. I would rather public schools keep to their own business then to try and butt into other people's work. To be honest, I have several friends who were home schooled, and know of others that presently are being home-schooled. They have a MUCH tougher curriculum then public schools. They get out of home schools much more then what we normally would, and I really think that if public schools got a hold of their program, that they would all be in trouble.

As for private schools, I don't know how tough they are. I know they are much more strict, but other then that, I really don't know much. =P

All in all, I can say that perhaps it is the public schools that should be taking a lesson from the private and home schools. Not to say I didn't like public school, but it could have been a lot better for me if they TAUGHT something to me, instead of just talking to hear themselves talk. Although I had many GREAT teachers, too many of the others just didn't care, and while I liked that - it stunted my vocabulary ^_^ [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

LMAO! The public school system can't even regulate their OWN system, let alone that of others?... LOL Fat chance for any of that.... it doesn't matter, education money just goes to buy bigger houses for more politicians.... I hate politicians... well the bad ones... like everyone from Florida. [/B][/QUOTE]

i hear ya at that one...us floridians are already 6 years behind the rest of the US..so even if they do regulate that policy we'll be 6 years behind :shifty: aren't we special?
erm.....i need time to put a little thought into this one... i'll post back later

[color=royalblue]I won't go into the area of why home schooling simply doesn't work (if the parent isn't a qualified teacher). However I will say that private schools need to have some basic guidelines set in terms of what [b]must[/b] be taught (eg: English, Mathematics, Science). Beyond that, it really depends on what the school is all about, as to whether it teaches trades...or religion...or whatever.[/color]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Well im shocked to hear that home schooling is still a practice useed over here in the states. I personally think that private and public schooling should stick to regulating themselves. I went to private school and there was nothing wrong with it in fact half the time it was actually much tougher than the Public School! I agree though that maybe the home schooling should be regulated but not by the public school system, obviously public school can barely regulate itself!

[color=indigo] You guys are all putting up very convincing reasons on why public schools shouldn't be able to interfere with the policies and practices of private and home schooling. But now it is time for me to play Devils Advocate... Here are some reasons why it is logical for a state school board to have some control over the regulations and cirriculum of private and home schooled students.

While the public education system in America is not beyond criticism, it makes a very valid argument, both towards private and home schooling. Here is the reason why private schools should be, in some way regulated by the public school system.
A child that graduates high school from a private school has a much better chance of recieving enrollment into a State or Private University then a public schooled student that recieved both equal grades and SAT scores does. However, a private school is not required to teach their students the same cirriculum as public schools do. Therefore, it is possible that the private schooled student could have the same grades, yet only have covered half of the material that the public student did.

On the other end, the Public School system is concerned about the quality of the teaching that the home schooled children recieve. While some children do very well with home schooling, because their parents are good teachers, others do very poor because their parents are very bad teachers. This especially becomes the case in a home schooled student's high school education, where in many cases, the parents are learning along with the children.

Well those are just two things to think about when you make your argument...[/color]

[color=royalblue]My cousin is homeschooled. And the core problem is simply that she doesn't have all the benefits of being in a true school environment.

1) She isn't mixing with other pupils on a daily basis. Thus, she doesn't learn important social skills and group activity behavior.

2) She doesn't have access to scientific/laboratory equipment, no easy access to a wide array of school text books, or general access to a wide variety of devices including overhead projectors, telescopes and other important study tools.

3) When in high school, you generally have one teacher for each subject. Therefore, your teacher is able to focus on that particular subject. Some of the mathetmatics and physics taught in the final year of VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) are quite advanced. Thus, I fail to see how her own mother with no qualification would be able to not only teach all of these subjects, but how she herself would be sufficiently knowledgable in all areas.

4) Being homeschooled means that my cousin doesn't face state-accredited exams. These exams are incredibly important in both determining a student's progress, while at the same time providing a level of measure for the student's performance which is used to rate the student's overall achievements at the end of school. These exams are particularly important when the student tries to enter a University or TAFE of some kind.

5) There is no cross-checking. In Australia (under the VCE system), a teacher's marks are never final. They are reviewed several times and in some cases, they are graded up or graded down based upon the performance of the student in state-based examinations and General Achievement Tests. Therefore, homeschooling is far less accurate.

There are a billion other points to bring up -- I thought these were the most fundamental.

Obviously, you can't stop homeschooling. But Governments around the world should make primary education compulsory (in Australia, it is compulsory to go to school until the age of 15 -- though there may be some specific loopholes when it comes to homeschooling).

Homeschooling can have benefits, but on the whole, it sets the student at a significant disadvantage when compared to other students. Perhaps this is different in America, as I always hear of the American system being so poor. In Australia, the public education system is one of the most highly-regarded in the world. So I can only speak for the situation here I guess. But generally speaking, any student who is homeschooled in this country would face a disadvantage, highlighted by my points above.

[/color]

Oh a homeschooler i am...school's just need to keep out of my buisness...and many of you make good points...but James does make a good point the other way...

My friend Hayley is home schooled purely because she couldn't get on at any of her public schools and private schools cost way more than the average family can afford. She's really bright..but slightly dyslexic (sp)..not enough to cause any serious problems in her education though.
Anyhoo....her mum's real cool and even though she makes sure Hayley does all the work it's always the work for the week...so Hayley can have several days of staying at friends and getting a train to the city to shop and stuff...as long as she remembers it will mean a day or two of solid work at home. She also sleeps in all day and is up all night. Heehee cool ey? :D

But anyway the point I was eventually getting to is...if she ever has an exam to take or an important experiment to do she has to get a bus to the nearest college and of course she had to visit the library quite often...but apart from that she's doing about as well as me...:worried: okay...well anyone else with her intelligance...at my public school in the next town.

There's no problems with her education, and she always gets her work done...so why would anybody want to bother trying to give her more rules and stuff? I know there are kids out there that have more problems home schooling...but she's doing great.

Bah...hope at least part of that was relivant...I just scanned though it and I think I rambled and missed the point quite abit...:nervous:

Well I think that public schooling gives you better education that home schooling (no offence meant), but I don't think they should be allowed to regulate it.... That would just seem.... out of place in my opinion....

I don't know much about the American School System thingymabob.... So don't take this very seriously.... it's just my opinion... :D