OtakuBoards

Memory Card Help!

Jeebs

Yesterday I tried to load my FFIX game but the continue option was in black, so I couldn't go to it. I checked my memory card and there was nothing there. I tried to start a new game but when I tried to save it it said that the memory card wasn't inserted, even though it was. Does anyone know what's wrong and what to do to fix it. Please help!

[COLOR=darkblue]In the worst case, somehow something wiped the memory card clean and you would have to reformat it and all that kinda stuff...(typically happens on 3rd party memory cards that hold more that 15 blocks). Try cleaning it, inserting it into slot 2 or try the memory card on someone else's PSx...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Well, I haven't ever had that trouble, but do try and clean out the port that the memory card goes in, blow in it or something.

And did you check that you put it in right?

Other than that, sorry, I can't help.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the port because I tried my Gameshark in the same port and it worked just fine.

Guest Solid Snake
[COLOR=teal]It sounds like this memory card is broken, and that you will probably not be able to fix it. When buying your next memory card, try a Sony one. That should be compatible with all games and will not disfunction (usually).[/COLOR]

:blah:

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shadow [/i]
[B]I'm using a Madcats PSX memory card.:flaming::demon: [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]I personally do not go for 3rd party accesories in general for this reason, and because of the way they sometimes damage the system that you are playing on. A Madcats PSX memory card is not a wise buy, and if I were you I would try to "fork out" the extra money to get the sony one, with better quality. Systems usually try to do this to you, making you decide whether to pay more for better quality, or less for almost the same thing. For future reference, the lesser one has a greater chance of having gliches.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shadow [/i]
[B]I'm using a Madcats PSX memory card.:flaming::demon: [/B][/QUOTE]
Man, I bought a Madcatz one for $30, and it was on special at the time. But my PS1 just wouldn't load it.... I suggest you throw it away, and but an official Sony memory card.... :) Or if you still have the receipt, take it back.

Actually it might not be broken. For some reason, I've had the same problem when taking a memory card over my friend's house. Make sure you try both slots like Rico Tranzrig said and fiddle around with the controllers. Try pulling out one of the controllers and putting it back in. Sometimes after you play with it for a bit, it'll work.

It could be even worse though. There's a chance that the actual memory card slots are burning out. The problem may lie in the system.

[color=royalblue]If your memory card isn't working, yet other devices are working in that port, then there is a good chance it's the card.

Third party cards are usually rubbish; don't buy 'em.

It sounds like the data has been corrupted (or wiped) from the card.

One thing you should [i]never[/i] do, is blow on your card...or in the port itself. A lot of people do it, but it's actually harmful to your system. When you blow on the port/card, moisture from your breath attaches itself to the pins inside the unit (or in the case of the card, the moisture attaches itself to the wafer board/metal parts.

This is what a technician at Nintendo actually told me once...so yeah...just some handy advice. :)

If you need to clean it, use a duster or a dry cloth...that should work more effectively.

But yeah...it sounds like you need a new memory card. :)[/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Actually it might not be broken. For some reason, I've had the same problem when taking a memory card over my friend's house. Make sure you try both slots like Rico Tranzrig said and fiddle around with the controllers. Try pulling out one of the controllers and putting it back in. Sometimes after you play with it for a bit, it'll work.

It could be even worse though. There's a chance that the actual memory card slots are burning out. The problem may lie in the system. [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]True, I do not know that much about 3rd party accesories, and the memory card may not be broken. But when other things work in either of the slots just fine, and when this memory card repells each game that he is trying to save, I believe I have a basis in thinking that it is probably broken. To test it, turn on your machine with the lid up or without a game. Click to see the memory card data when the menu screen comes up, and look to see if there is an option that will affect the memory card's process. Try each one of those options if possible and see which ones save data just fine. If, and this is the big IF, you do find a match that will save your games, then never try to mess with the memory card manually again. As soon as it starts repelling your saves, conclude that it is broken, and either take it back to the store if you have a reciept, or chuck it in the trash can and buy a Sony made one. Keep in mind, though, the worst thing you can do is blow in, like James said.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by boris [/i]
[B]wow, i have never had that happen, but yeah, i would do what every one is saying, go get a sony made card. i once bout a madcatz controler, it only lasted a month, then it broke, wow it was bad. [/B][/QUOTE]

....wow thats weird my friend has a madzcat controller and it lasted him trhee years....well i have a suggestion....if you can go to wal mart....if there is one around you....or you could just go to a game store...