OtakuBoards

New 3D Engine for GBA

James

[color=royalblue]I don't know if anyone has heard of this yet, but an Italian company called RayLight Studios has engineered a 3D engine for the GBA and the results are absolutely stunning.

First, I'll list the technical performance of the engine:[/color][size=1]

- Thousands of polygons in a single scene
- More than 3000 polygons per second with a 60% of screen coverage. (Note this performance are computed in an average situation of playing, - also considering input, AI and the needed processes for a game!)
- Motion capture animation
- Affine texture mapping
- Camera animation
- Skeletal animation
- Skinned characters
- Particle systems
- Texture animation support
- Possibility to mix 2d and 3d together having 3d polygonal scene with custom 3d sprite technologies already used in our current projects
[/size][color=royalblue]

That comes from the company's website. Want proof of how damn awesome this engine looks on GBA? Take a look at the screens below:

[b]Survival Horror[/b]

[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_7.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, these images are absolutely amazing. Not only do they eclipse any current GBA software, but they come very close to exceeding the PSOne's capabilities.

[b]Racing[/b]

[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_1a.jpg[/IMG]

This racing scene is particularly impressive. Pop-up is obviously an issue, but this engine demonstrates that games like Wipeout are a reality on GBA. Moreover, a game like Mario Kart would make really good use of such an engine.

[b]Aircraft Demo[/b]

[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_3.jpg[/IMG]

Yet another cool demo. This scene shows an aircraft flying over the Earth. The detail in the aircraft is incredible given the GBA's apparent limitations.

[b]Rally Car Demo[/b]

[IMG]http://www.raylight.it/images/ros3dagb_6.jpg[/IMG]

These are of course all demos, but they demonstrate the GBA's ability to process more complex environments and objects.

I am particularly excited about the survival horror demo. I would love to see a GBA Resident Evil use visuals like that.

I'm not sure if I'd want all GBA games to be 3D though. For those of us who love 2D games, the GBA is really a great system in that regard. I mean, apart from GBA, there are really no other consoles which continue to support new 2D software. So I think there is a place for both on the GBA.

If you want to download video of these demos, just visit this link:

[URL=http://www.raylight.it/blueroses.htm]BlueRoses 3D Engine for GBA[/URL]

What do you guys think of this new game engine? :)[/color]

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]nice :). i hope GS2 uses that... that would make it the best RPG ever! lol... if it had the rest of the game up to par with the first one. could u imagine a game that used 2 cartriges? ha that would freaking rock... lol a looooooooooooong gba game. *drools* sounds fun[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[size=1]I find this to be particularily interesting considering I never thought the GBA was capable of such amazing 3D visuals (they [i]are[/i] amazing for a handheld.) This technical innovation should set a nice change of pace for the GBA software scene considering the large amount of crappy platformers and kart racers making it on the system. The survival horror game looks great, but they seem almost too good to be true. I will start becoming excited about the new engine when I see it in action on an actual GBA.[/size]

That's simply breathtaking for a handheld. The textures have a clean, filtered look to them. I just wonder how well it'll translate to a GBA's tiny screen. I wonder if it'll be possible to port over Mario 64....

Ah well, as long as I can keep my two dimensional, sprite based, platformers.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B] I wonder if it'll be possible to port over Mario 64....

[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]:eek:

The idea of Mario 64 on a handheld is simply orgasm inducing.

:tasty: :drunk: :excited: :smirk: [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

:tasty: :drunk: :excited: :smirk: [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Alright everyone back away from James if that one's ever released, hehe.:whoops:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]There's only one word that can describe this:
DAMN! [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]only one way to explain you:
BANNED
damn, banned, they sound close enuff right? ;) j/k btw[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Guest Solid Snake
[COLOR=teal]I knew that the GameBoy Advance had grafics beyond that of a normal handheld, but what I am seeing now has exceeded my wildest dreams. What I found particularly facinating over and above the quite awe inducing screen shots, was the comment that "they come very close to exceeding the PSOne's capabilities." If this turns out fact, then you can count on this handheld to be revolutionary of it's kind, getting just as much recognition as the next generation systems (Playstation 2, GameCube, and Xbox). I just have one question to ask. As you say, an Italian Company has engeneered a new 3 dimensional engine for the GBA. This may sound a bit odd, but will this be an add-on sold seprately that you must hook to your GBA? Or will this engine merely be used in future games, whereas we may be able to simply buy these to see such great grafics?[/COLOR]

:blah:

[COLOR=darkblue]Stunning, absolutely stunning...with the capabilites of the engine listed one game comes to my mind that could make it to the GBA...

Half-life: CounterStrike

The screen shots are very shocking...and the GBA keeps amazing me. The graphics creep close to PSone and it's just a hand-held...but I wouldn't mind the GBA being a big sprite pusher like it already is.[/COLOR]

Simply Amazing comes to my mind right after I saw the screenshots you posted James.

I've always thought that the GBA was pretty impressive the way it is but, now with this new 3D Engine its simply breathtaking to see on an Handheld.;)

[B]

*slowly backs away* James, just calm down.... And stay over there.....

*Thinks of Warpath or FFVIII or even....**gasp!!** RESIDENT EVIL ON THE NEW GBA!!*

*passes out with excitment*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B][COLOR=teal]This may sound a bit odd, but will this be an add-on sold seprately that you must hook to your GBA? Or will this engine merely be used in future games, whereas we may be able to simply buy these to see such great grafics?[/COLOR]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

If he's talking about a normal graphics engine, then it's just a method of programming. The existing hardware would be responsible for the the shots he posted. Developers always develop engines for their games. That's why you'll see sports games released often. Companies use the existing engine and make minor tweaks. That's the best way I can describe it anyway...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B][color=green]Do you think they'll make Super Mario Kart 64 witht he use of that system on the GBA? If they do, that'll be.... be.... be..... erm... what's the word again.... AWESOME!! :excited:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Who needs Mario Kart 64, when there's already Mario Kart: Super Circuit?[/color]

[quote][i]Originally post by James[/i]
[b]:eek:

[color=royalblue]The idea of Mario 64 on a handheld is simply orgasm inducing.[/color]

:tasty: :drunk: :excited: ;)[/b][/quote]
[color=indigo]eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

I agree, though... Super Mario 64 on the GBA would be simply amazing... :drool: ...Wait a minute... Can we say 3D Zelda on the GBA? :drool: :drool: :drool: Ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh... *fantasizes about playing Ocarina of Time on the GBA*

I can't believe that this is actually possible... Nintendo actually said that the GBA [i]isn't meant[/i] to be able to do 3D graphics to this extent! And now this! AGH! Too much to handle! Head... is... going... to... EXPLODE!!! AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!![/color]

The gba could never handle anything like mario 64 or a 3d zelda because of the ai, the capacity of the cartridges is so small, and those games produce more than a few thousand polygons per second. They would have to have the games span over many cartridges, although mario 64 was only a 64 megabit game, there is still the issue of polygons. I remember telling my friend that they could make a 3d resident evil for the gba almost a year ago, and him saying that it would never be possible.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kristoff119 [/i]
[B]The gba could never handle anything like mario 64 or a 3d zelda because of the ai, the capacity of the cartridges is so small, and those games produce more than a few thousand polygons per second. They would have to have the games span over many cartridges, although mario 64 was only a 64 megabit game, there is still the issue of polygons. I remember telling my friend that they could make a 3d resident evil for the gba almost a year ago, and him saying that it would never be possible. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]The GBA could handle either of those games with this engine.

Look at that survival horror demo -- it is more detailed than Mario 64 ever was. You could easily port Mario 64 to GBA using this engine...and you could probably even include nicer visuals.

Zelda is a different matter -- but mainly due to the controls (it'd be tough to make a 3D Zelda with the GBA controls).

But still...it could be done. And it could be great. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]Who needs Mario Kart 64, when there's already Mario Kart: Super Circuit? [/color] [/B][/QUOTE][color=green]Yeah, I suppose so. But I still enjoy Mario Kart 64, even though Super Circuit out for the GBA. I mean, I really enjoy beating my friends at Mario Kart 64. Most of my friends don't have a GBA, so I can't really play against them on Super Circuit..... :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B][color=green]Yeah, I suppose so. But I still enjoy Mario Kart 64, even though Super Circuit out for the GBA. I mean, I really enjoy beating my friends at Mario Kart 64. Most of my friends don't have a GBA, so I can't really play against them on Super Circuit..... :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, that's one thing about Super Circuit... Only one of my friends has it, so I've never gotten to play Battle Mode with more than two people. I like the controls and track design better in Super Circuit, though (that and it has the tracks from Super Mario Kart, also!). I do prefer Battle Mode on Mario Kart 64 over Super Circuit, but usually I'm playing by myself, so that's why I like Super Circuit more.[/color]

[quote][i]Originally posted by James[/i]
[b][color=royalblue]Zelda is a different matter -- but mainly due to the controls (it'd be tough to make a 3D Zelda with the GBA controls).

But still...it could be done. And it could be great. :)[/color][/b][/quote]
[color=indigo]I think it could be done... You'd only be able to use one secondary item at a time, but it could be done pretty well... You could use the A Button for your sword, B for a secondary item, L for targeting, R for raising your shield, Select for going into first person view, and Start to access the item screen and all that. I think that'd work pretty well.
Now, if only Nintendo will make one... :drool: :drool: :drool: .......... Oh, sorry about that... *cleans up all the drool* :D[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[B]

Okay, James. Whatever floats your boat. Orgasm inducing? Mario? Plumber? eeurgh.