OtakuBoards

Some mildly interesting news.

Charles

It turns out that Nintendo and Sega are codeveloping two F-Zero games. One version will be for the GameCube and the other will be called F-Zero AC for Nintendo's Triforce arcade board, which is currently in development by Sega's Amusement Vision development studio. Also, according to reports, both versions will be linked together using the GameCube Memory Card 59. So, does anyone think that Sega's partial takeover will benefit the series? I'm not a big F-Zero fan, but didn't Miyamoto do most of the work on the previous versions? I myself wonder if Sega's efforts could live up to that. Then again, their mascot [I]is[/I] known for his super speed.

[color=royalblue]Yeah, I read this on PlanetGameCube.com!

This is absolutely [b]huge[/b] news -- SEGA, a long time arch rival of Nintendo taking one of its own franchises!

Amusement Vision is an utterly brilliant arcade developer, so I have absolutely no worries about this game being good.

Moreover, I think that this demonstrates that Nintendo is bending over backwards to reclaim its "golden era". At the very least, all of these recent developments will help to further solidify Nintendo's overall position.

I'm very encouraged by this report...and I would love to see more franchises hit the arcades in joint developments.[/color]

[size=1]You are right, this information is [i]mildly[/i] interesting. I used to love the original F-Zero for SNES, but I didn't really think the 64 game was very good.

I am suprised that Sega wants to work on the series, I thought they would have made their own racing games then work on nintendo characters. Anything that unites Sega and Nintendo is a good thing I suppose.[/size]

[color=royalblue]I think that this news is enormous -- maybe you can't see it. This is huge news primarily because it deals with Nintendo entrusting SEGA with one of its own franchises. This is a very rare thing -- Nintendo has never really done this before, except with second parties (and even they are owned partly by Nintendo itself).

Nevertheless, the creative potential is huge. There is already talk of players being able to make tracks in the GameCube version (using the SD Memory Card, which has yet to be released) and actually taking that to the arcades...and playing your custom track on the arcade version.

Of course, it's just speculation...but what other reasons would there be for using memory cards between arcade and console? Certainly, other things could be done (such as custom vehicles and bonus features), but this could really be the feature which will sell the SD Card.[/color]

[size=1]If I remember correctly the japanese arcade cabinet of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 allowed Dreamcast owners to earn points on their home games by including a special VMU slot. This allowed the player to earn extra levels and characters (all of which could be unlocked without playing it at arcades.) That feature was removed from the American release of the game because it was thought that the concept would never catch on in the US. A similar incident could happen here, but this is only my personal speculation.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][size=1]If I remember correctly the japanese arcade cabinet of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 allowed Dreamcast owners to earn points on their home games by including a special VMU slot. This allowed the player to earn extra levels and characters (all of which could be unlocked without playing it at arcades.) That feature was removed from the American release of the game because it was thought that the concept would never catch on in the US. A similar incident could happen here, but this is only my personal speculation.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah I see what you mean, but you must remember that Marvel vs Capcom 2 and the Dreamcast are much more obscure than something like GameCube and F-Zero.[/color]

I think the last time you could do something like that was with the Neo-Geo arcade machines and the home systems. (I could be wrong...). And even more remotely was the Gaunlet Legend arcade games where you could save your character with name and password.

Probably the only reason the took out the VMU feature in the U.S. version was because of the projected rate of vandalism and the reduced people at the arcades at the time...but if F-Zero has a feature to tune up your vehicles and battle at the arcades through the memory card, I'm all for it.

:smirk: The whole "mildly interesting" title is supposed to come off as an understatement, just in case you guys didn't pick that up. Hehe, but anyway, there is a really neat piece from a press conference up at Gamespot if anyone's interested. Toshihiro Nagoshi, the creator of Daytona, and Shigeru Miyamoto answer some interesting questions, such as how they feel about working with one another.

[URL=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2859141,00.html]Press Conference[/URL]

[color=indigo]Yes, it sure was an understatement! I am very excited about this new development with the F-Zero series. Especially if you'll be able to design your own tracks! It would also be cool if you could play online with other GCN players, as well as people playing in the arcade (if it's an online game, anyway). Hopefully it will work out well, with the arcade/GCN linking. There are tons of possibilities for it, and it could really add a lot to the game.[/color]

[size=1]I am excited to hear Sega & Nintendo working on a project together, its just amazing to see 2 companies that were competing against each other long time ago and now are business partners.:)

Amusment Vision did a great job on Daytona USA I really love the game's driving engine, so if Sega did great on Daytona USA along with other games then I can expect they will do an outstanding job with F-Zero.

As for the online play, it be interesting to race against other people around the world.;)[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]I think that this news is enormous -- maybe you can't see it. This is huge news primarily because it deals with Nintendo entrusting SEGA with one of its own franchises. This is a very rare thing -- Nintendo has never really done this before, except with second parties (and even they are owned partly by Nintendo itself).

Nevertheless, the creative potential is huge. There is already talk of players being able to make tracks in the GameCube version (using the SD Memory Card, which has yet to be released) and actually taking that to the arcades...and playing your custom track on the arcade version.

Of course, it's just speculation...but what other reasons would there be for using memory cards between arcade and console? Certainly, other things could be done (such as custom vehicles and bonus features), but this could really be the feature which will sell the SD Card.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

That would be sweet. And it's on the gamecube so the grafix should be great.

Guest Shift
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]If it's anything like F-Zero X for the GBA or F-Zero for the Nintendo 64 i'm buying it! I don't like the earlier versions though and this is like James saud [b]HUGE[/b] new!![/COLOR] [/SIZE]