OtakuBoards

Playstation 3 Talk

Charles

Yes, this monster is looming on a distant horizon. In all likelihood, we won't get our hands on a Playstation 3 for another two to three years, but that doesn't stop us from taking a peek into the future.

[Quote][B]IBM, Toshiba, Sony Corporation, and Sony Computer Entertainment have announced they've reached an agreement that will allow the three companies to jointly develop chip technology based on IBM's silicon-on-insulator technology and other technological advances in chip making. The agreement is expected to lead to lower-priced chips that can power a variety of devices ranging from computers to video game consoles.[/B][/Quote]

Lower-priced chips mean lower-priced systems right? Yes and no. The way I see things, consoles are increasingly leaning towards personal computers. It's a safe assumption to say that the next Playstation will have a built in hard drive, internet support, and play DVDs. Undoubtedly, this checklist of "improvements" will increase the system's price and blur the line between console and PC even further.

The new system architecture is currently known as "Cell" and will be able to streamline the transfer of 3D images, speech, and games over a broadband network.

What does everyone think about this news? Microsoft has been bashed for making the Xbox similar to a PC. I don't necessarily think that PC elements are bad; it just seems like it's going to be more difficult to distinguish between console and PC gaming.

Why would they want to put PS3 out so soon. They would lose so much money because PS2 is still dominating the gaming console race. In a few years it will still be doin' great. So I think that it would be a big mistake if they put it out within a few years. :butthead: PS2 RULES!:devil:

[COLOR=darkblue]Well, PSone did from 1995-2000...

IMO as long as a system pumps out great games at low prices, it doesn't matter if it has extra functions...those are just added bonuses, which is great for people who can't afford to by those things seperately. The only think that I have a problem is that a lot of companies claim that their console can be the ultimate home entertainment system...that'll never work anytime soon.

As for the PS3...I don't think it should be released yet. The PS2 can theoretically make changes to its Firmware so it'll be easier to program for and extend its lifespan. PS2 still packs a lot of power considering its 128-bit archetecture...even though the graphics chip might be lacking now...but that's not what gaming is all about is it?

If they happen to slap on a strong multi-function OS onto the PS2 or 3...I'm all for it, to have a extra computer around the house so my siblings don't have to hog all the same PC... But it won't be the same...[/COLOR]

I think that the PS2 will add an extra year or two on to its life time. This is mainly due to the fact that its entire first year was full of crappy games. But it was also smart because every jackass and his uncle went out and bought a PS2 even though it lacked good games. And now they are finally starting to drop the prices. $300 is a lot of money for someone who doesnt have any. I personally didnt get my PS2 til Christmas this year. Mainly due to the fact that MGS2 came out, along with some other great titles that were released. it was worth it! I personally don't want the PS3 to come out for several years as well. Because i don't think i will be done with my PS2 for a long long time.:devil:

All though I agree that it's too soon for a PS3, but if the Playstation 3 is indeed expected in the close future. I hope that it follows the PS2's options, and allow us to play our old games on it again. I mean both PS2 games, and PSone games. Hopefully it will be cheaper as well, because if prices keep going up only millionaires will be able to buy consoles and games. Video games these days are just too expensive anymore.

Well, I don't think it'll take another five or six years for PS3, mainly because a system only lasts around that time span and PS2 has been out for a couple years now. Then again, Sony's President and CEO said that the Xbox would most likely accelerate the industry enough so that Sony would have to speed up PS3 development. I sure hope that they don't pull a Sega on us....

One thing is for sure, Sony's concerned over the ethernet support and hard drive. I guess that they see it as the future of console gaming. Basically, what Rico said rings true. Both Sony and Microsoft are interested in creating technological swiss army knives--the ultimate home entertainment centers. Hopefully, they won't forget that it's all about the games. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but some of Sony's franchises, such as GameDay have turned into cash-ins.

Hey, and it's good to see you posting Foredaddy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B] Heyand it's good to see you posting Foredaddy. [/B][/QUOTE]

Its about time someone noticed. Where's the fan fare and the balloons?! I was told there was going to be a clown....:confused:

Well back on track,that seems to be Sony's new gimmick now. I do like the DVD player and all but I would have been happy with a way cheaper plain old game console. My intent wasnt to buy the DVD player. But I guess i really cant complain because i didnt pay for my PS2 anyways.

You know I was kinda scared for SONY for a while up until I found that you need to pay like 40 bucks for a cord to use the DVD player in the X-box. Oh well, I guess Microsoft thought that they could slip that by every body....... You couldnt tell that by the Christmas sales Ill tell ya what!:devil:

[color=royalblue]I expect the PS3 to arrive in early 2005 -- but probably no earlier than that.

Sony really managed to drag out the life of the PSOne...and I think the same can be done for PS2.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that the Cell architecture is so far touted to be some 1000 times faster than the PS2 technology.

This would directly contradict the "law" which states that processing power can only increase by two fold every 18 months.

But apparently Sony says it's found a way of engineering something completely different.

In any case, I'm sure you can imagine the prospects. :)

As for the whole "getting closer to PC" issue...I'm very much against the idea.

The more video game machines become diluted, the more gaming itself invariably suffers.

Microsoft is positioning the Xbox as the precursor to its HomeStation machine -- which is more focused on bringing streaming media and Microsoft services directly into the home.

And that is all fine and good -- but I think that video game machines should be kept seperate. When companies are scrambling to have "the next best online game" or to have various online services which don't even relate to games...it definitely dilutes the quality of the games themselves.[/color]

sony has no need to be worried about releasing the ps3 so soon, they need not fear the xbox since the xbox has sold so poorly in japan and europe....

when the ps2 was first released in the UK and Germany, they sold 140 000 ps2's priced at the same price as an xbox, however the xbox only managed to rake in a mere 60 000, less than half of how many ps2's were sold on release, and this is after heavy advertising as well....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]sony has no need to be worried about releasing the ps3 so soon, they need not fear the xbox since the xbox has sold so poorly in japan and europe....

when the ps2 was first released in the UK and Germany, they sold 140 000 ps2's priced at the same price as an xbox, however the xbox only managed to rake in a mere 60 000, less than half of how many ps2's were sold on release, and this is after heavy advertising as well.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yep...and in the first week of sales in Australia, the Xbox only sold 9,000 units.

Nintendo 64 sold 24,000 in the first [i]couple of hours[/i]. And when you consider that the market was much smaller back then...you really know how badly Microsoft has failed. lol[/color]

Well, this goes to show you that it'll be darn near impossible for an American system to be successful overseas. With both Atari and Microsoft failing, I have to wonder just what American company could make a dent in the console wars.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Well, this goes to show you that it'll be darn near impossible for an American system to be successful overseas. With both Atari and Microsoft failing, I have to wonder just what American company could make a dent in the console wars. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Well, compared to the PlayStation 2...the Xbox is also lagging behind on its home turf.

But there are a few important things I think should be mentioned.

First, the "failure" of Atari was (in my opinion) quite different from that of Microsoft.

And second...I remember Shigeru Miyamoto once talking about the time when Nintendo approached companies in the United States regarding chip development for GameCube.

He said something like "The Americans always talk of producing new technology and developing better graphics and sound. But the Japanese are fundamentally different; we have to continue to remind them not to talk about speed or power, but to talk about creative design and how technology can be used as a tool for such design".

Not exactly the words, but I'm paraphrasing.

Nevertheless, I think it's definitely an interesting point. The American game companies are often discussing features, gizmos, graphics and sound...but not [i]fun[/i].

Of course, not [i]all[/i] Americans are preoccupied with processor power. But it does seem to be a general concern of Japanese game companies when working with American studios.

It's interesting.[/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tronic [/i]
[B]they should wait about 5 r 6 yrs until ps3 comes out cause ps2 came out just a few yrs ago [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]Let's look back at the dates throughout Sony's history, shall we?

The Playstation premiered, as Rico previously stated, back in 1995, and led the company's role up until the year 2000 when the Playstation 2 was released. Did you think it was too soon then? If not, then this shouldn't seem too soon either. If Sony does in fact release PS3 in 2005, that will be late 2005, as in nearly 2006, five years after the release of the Playstation 2. If you still call that soon, then you were probably very surprised at how early the Playstation 2 came out after the Playstation.

I, for one, would not call that soon. Sony leaves a nice space for each of their systems, in my opinion. Five years is just fine, and I do not think they will be loosing money this way. In fact, if they are planning the release in three and a half years, then why shouldn't they start? Begining too late could loose them a lot more money because of the public demanding for their newest system.

About the whole computer buisiness, I am kind of leaning both ways.

In a sense, it is good that they are making it more like a personal computer. With the hard drive, they could boost the sales for those who do not like dealing with memory cards, and it would give seemingly infinite memory for those who are not "hardcore," so to speak. Instant internet access would add a good atmosphere as well, not only for the gamers but also the company. It would allow the making of more games that use the net to it's advantage to making fun games such as Phantasy Star Online, but not exactly using that specific title.

However, the new direction could lead to problems for Sony. The advanced software could only mean one thing: a higher price. This could loose fans who do not make a lot of money, which would be a huge downfall indeed. Also, making the platform too much like the personal computer would lead others to think that it doesn't make a difference to get a computer or the Playstation 3, and nearly everyone has a computer. Though I think that there is much to be gained from each in it's own way, people may compare and think differently.

Overall, I am glad to hear that they are planning the developement for the next generation in Playstations. It would top systems that people currently think are much better than the Playstation 2. But with new hardware for Sony, will also lead to Nintendo and Microsoft thinking ahead for a possible release of a sequal to their own current systems. This isn't a bad thing, I say, and bring on the competition. I hope to see some titles that wern't able to make it to the PS2, and maybe even sequals to those that did.[/color]

:blah:

Guest Shift
I think they should wait until they run out of ideas for the PS2...because like foredaddy said it'd be a big loss of money!!!

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Herman Nation [/i]
[B]I think they should wait until they run out of ideas for the PS2...because like foredaddy said it'd be a big loss of money!!! [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Imagine, the Playstation 2 does great, and the market is finally demanding for the Playstation 3. Do you NOW want them to start on it? This would cause a puplic outcry, and they would loose even more money than if they had began on it a bit earlier. By starting on it earlier, they have the intention of bringing it out when they feel the time is right, when most of the world is getting tired of the PS2 and wants to see something more. If it bothers you that much, then you probably shouldn't have heard about the development. It will be released in about three to three in a half years, which is a while, and things change through time. Could your analagy of PS3 coming too early change too? They want to be ready for whatever the future holds, and I am with all the way.[/COLOR]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[COLOR=teal]I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Imagine, the Playstation 2 does great, and the market is finally demanding for the Playstation 3. Do you NOW want them to start on it? This would cause a puplic outcry, and they would loose even more money than if they had began on it a bit earlier. By starting on it earlier, they have the intention of bringing it out when they feel the time is right, when most of the world is getting tired of the PS2 and wants to see something more. If it bothers you that much, then you probably shouldn't have heard about the development. It will be released in about three to three in a half years, which is a while, and things change through time. Could your analagy of PS3 coming too early change too? They want to be ready for whatever the future holds, and I am with all the way.[/COLOR]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]The general life expectancy of a single generation of consoles is about five years, roughly.

And I can guarantee you that [i]all[/i] of the major hardware makers are at [i]least[/i] undergoing preliminary planning for their new hardware.

It takes years and hundreds of millions of dollars to engineer new game consoles. And therefore, even though Sony is the only company to really discuss its new console in any form, you can bet that Nintendo and Microsoft are also thinking about the distant future as well.

Sony would be utterly foolish not to begin working on PS3 now -- if they wait even six months, it will end up pushing the console's launch way back. Sony want to have the machine ready for release within the next three years or so. And really, three years isn't very long when you're talking about creating a new hardware from scratch...using very new technology and such.[/color]