Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Ok. I'm down to my last straw. My parents have this gigantic phobia about online purchasing, even from secure sights like e-bay. I created and account, bid on this PSone game thats really hard to find, got it for about $20.00 less than retail, and then was promtly told to shove it up my a-s-s by my parents. They wouldn't even think about it.
Could you guys on OB assure them that it's perfectly safe and their credit-card-# will be fine?
Guest Matt
Posted
[color=red][b]My parents were iffy about e-bay at first too, but it is very secure and has a lot of great stuff on it too.[/b][/color]
Posted
[size=1][color=crimson][font=century gothic]

Same thing with my parents. But they went through with it and everything went fine. Now my parents use it to buy thing all the time. It is very safe. Nothing in this world is guareteed to be 100% safe, but those are the risks we take all the time.
[/size][/color][/font]
Guest Matt
Posted
[color=red][b]And if you have a Capital One No Hassle Card.....lol.[/b][/color]
Posted
[color=royalblue][size=1]
My dad wasn't sure about buying a domain for me at first, but I guess, since my grandfather is on e-bay all the time (huge collector, when he sells his stuff, he will be rich), but anyway, he went through and everything was fine.[/color][/size]
Posted
E-Bay isn't exactly what I'd call secure. However, if you use their credit card company eBay uses, called bill-point, or if you use Pay Pal, there is no way your card number can be given out to other people. I suggest using pay pal. I have used them NUMEROUS times with no fail what-so-ever. Beware though, it's not the card number you should be worried about, it's people creating fraud. I suggest if you ever buy something online, do it from a company thats fairly popualr and has done a lot of business. Ebay isn't 100% on all transactions. I've had a few where people bid on my stuff and never paid or it took a VERY long time to get something I paid for when I buy it off of ebay. Try to buy from people with good feedback, those are usually the most trusting. Good luck.
Posted
[color=indigo]You know, you could just use a money order... (Almost everyone on eBay seems to accept money orders). Then their credit card wouldn't have anything to do with the purchase, you'd just go down to the post office or wherever and get a money order for the amount that you want. Then you just have to fill in his/her name and address, and the same for you. Then you just mail it to the person as payment. The only information he/she will get is your name and address, and I don't think anyone is going to come after you... I've used money orders as payment a few times, and everything has always gone smoothly.[/color]
Posted
Transitic, could you post a little more info about paypal?
They are still a little skeptical.
Actually they most likely won't even listen...
But I would apreciate it.
Posted
[color=indigo]Nope, you just pay the amount that you want the money order for, plus the charge for the money order itself, and then when they get it they take it to the post office and they get the money for it there. Your credit card and bank acount have nothing to do with the money order.[/color]
Posted
The way I got around my father's dislike of online buying was to introduce him to something he liked enough to buy online. After that he didn't have any ground to stand on. In the end it was easier than actually convincing him it was safe.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarkOrderKnight [/i]
[B]Transitic, could you post a little more info about paypal?
They are still a little skeptical.
Actually they most likely won't even listen...
But I would apreciate it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just go to Paypal.com, it pretty much explains everything on the site. The money is sent via email, and you have control over how much you send. As far as I'm aware, the other person never sees your credit card number (though I've never recieved money, so don't quote me on that).
Posted
Make your parents buy something cheap, so they can't say it's too risky. When it arrives safely, they won't be able to say that it's dangerous.
You know, I should follow my own advice...
Posted
[color=royalblue]
Hey, yeah...never thought of that...just have them but some bubblegum :p

But anyway, I've bought things online a few times, my parents had no problem. Oh, and tell them that my grandfather is a collecter, and with his hundreds of trades, he's never had a bad transaction.
[/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]Make your parents buy something cheap, so they can't say it's too risky. When it arrives safely, they won't be able to say that it's dangerous.
You know, I should follow my own advice... [/B][/QUOTE]

They arn't worried about it not getting here they're worried about getting the credit card number stolen. Is there a way i can get pay-on-arrival or something?
Posted
[color=indigo]If you're using eBay, you have to pay first, then they ship the item to you... But like I said, just use a money order... There's absolutely [i]no way[/i] that they can get your credit card number if you use a money order.[/color]
Posted
[color=teal][size=1]Yes, money orders are very good, especially when your parents are so weak that they don't even have credit cards because they're scared of something which hasn't yet made itself clear to me...

Gah, I can't wait til I'm 18...[/color][/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...