OtakuBoards

Punk Covers

Guest Saiyangohan2002

Guest Saiyangohan2002
When i got winMX my eyes were opened.

I have found bands like NOFX, A Newfound Glory, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Lagwagon and No Use For a Name, do punk covers of old 60's/70s even broadway hits! not only that they do punk covers of Celine Dion's titanic theme, Aqua's Barbie Girl and they are really funny (the cover of barbie girl by A Newfound Glory is hilarious) i was wondering if anyone else heard these songs?

They still can't beat a good Malice Mizer hit :p

[color=indigo]Yeah, I've heard some of those, lol. I think covering songs that don't even fall into your category of music is a good idea. A lot of bands do it.. I don't know who it was, but I heard a cover of "I will survive" or whatever was. I think it was better than the original just because it is more in my style of music. :)[/color]

[color=crimson][size=1]I LOVE the punk cover of "Baby Got Back" by Agent Felix. I love both versions of the song, but AF's version is so much more my style of music. But it's HILARIOUS because all the "sound effects" in the song they do themselves and it's just the funniest thing to me. So yeah, you definately have to hear that one.

And I like remakes of old songs. Especially the two 80's songs that Manson did, "Tainted Love" and "Sweet Dreams" I believe it's called. Both of those are pretty good.[/color][/size]

Guest Saiyangohan2002
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]I
I like remakes of old songs. Especially the two 80's songs that Manson did, "Tainted Love" and "Sweet Dreams" I believe it's called. Both of those are pretty good.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=green] I dislike Marilyn manson, because he hates me, and has insulted my Christian faith. He didnt have to come out in this big war against the christians. I love the score for Resident Evil. Just if he wasn't an antichrist bigot, his music.. i may like.(love the person - hate the sins ;) )

No, I think I will stick to my Malice Mizer. [/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Saiyangohan2002 [/i]
[B]

[color=green] I dislike Marilyn manson, because he hates me, and has insulted my Christian faith. He didnt have to come out in this big war against the christians. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Hey, I'm a Christian and I like Manson's music. Doesn't necessarily mean I have to like him. He puts out some very good stuff that you don't hear everyday.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silent Warrior [/i]
[B]Eh, I used to be into the whole punk scene. To overrated now. Some punk covers are good and some are horrible.[/B][/QUOTE][color=indigo]Not over-rated, just infected. With preppy people, and posers. Many of them. This whole "trend" should pass soon.. (I hope)

Anyway, on the actual point of the topic. Guttermouth also covered"Turning Japanese". Reel Big Fish with "Take On Me".. and others I don't remember at the moment.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][color=indigo] Guttermouth also covered"Turning Japanese". Reel Big Fish with "Take On Me".. and others I don't remember at the moment.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]I like the way that all these bands re-do these stupid 80's songs. And one day we're going to be in our kids generation and we're going to hear the country remake of "Smells like Teen Spirit." Oh the horror...[/color][/size]

Hmm...

MxPx also covered Ah-Ha's "Take On Me", but the Reel Big Fish cover is better than it... I also think it's infinitely better than the original.

Reel Big Fish covered Brown Eyed Girl too, which was good.

Less Than Jake covered "I Would Walk 500 Miles" by the Proclaimers, "Summer Lovin'" from Grease, and Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It".

Nofx covered "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath, "Stand by Me" and a few others.

My favorite is New Found Glory's cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Goonies R Good Enough". Just because I love that movie :D.

There are some tons of tribute CDs punk bands do too... Like Punk Does Metal. I never bothered to check it out though. I find most covers bands do on live bootlegs though, and it seems like that's mostly what is online right now.

As for Manson, well... That has been my favorite band most of my life now. It seems more people hate him for his image than the actual music. I ask people why they don't like him and usually I hear that, or someone tells me about some rumor they heard (that of course isn't true). If you don't like the sound, or the religious overtones (which honestly aren't as extreme as most like to think) than that is cool. Everyone has their opinion :). I will say that his cover of "Tainted Love" was excellent though, I prefer it over Soft Cell's original. He also did an awesome Screamin' Jay Hawkins cover of "I Put a Spell On You," which I think is way better than "Sweet Dreams".

As for the whole Punk trend thing... It is slowly dying it seems. Every genre of music goes through this. Somehow a band breaks through and everyone and their brother suddenly loves your favorite band's singles (it is ALWAYS the singles, as most of these people seem to have no idea that the bands play anything outside of that). This is fine in some ways, because it gets more people into the band...and a lot will stick around with the band til the end. But most people are just with it for the trend so they can feel cool another couple weeks. Really, most punk still isn't that popular...it's just stuff like Blink 182 (which I personally cannot stand). Pop-punk bands that I think should actually do well seem to go nowhere (like The Ataris, although they are now on a big label... so maybe they will finally make it). Who knows how much longer this will continue though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B]I like the way that all these bands re-do these stupid 80's songs.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hold on a minute. Are you calling "Take On Me" a stupid song? That has got to be one of the best songs to ever come out of America, and it was only dull-ified through all the covers.

Ah-Ha were far superior.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]

Hold on a minute. Are you calling "Take On Me" a stupid song? That has got to be one of the best songs to ever come out of America, and it was only dull-ified through all the covers.

Ah-Ha were far superior. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Man, you sounded so much like Ryan there it wasn't even funny...it kind of frightened me actually.

No, I do not like that song. I'm just not a fan of 80's pop music. I like the remakes better.[/color][/size]

I am always surprised how few people know who The Ramones are... I asked my one friend who seems to think he is the authority in punk if he liked the song "The KKK Took My Baby Away" and he said to me, "That MxPx song??" He had almost no idea who they were.

Blah.

Guest Saiyangohan2002
[color=green] While we seem to be on the subject of who covered who, Ten Foot Pole did a fabulous remake of Joy To The World, a Newfound Glory did a Celine Dion cover of my heart will go on. My Favorite would have to be Uranium 235's remake of Spin me Right Round (Like a Record). And The Offspring did a Ramones cover of I Wanna Be Sedated. I Like the baby got back punk cover as well, and I hate to admit it, but Manson's version of Tainted Love is actually quite good... :devil:

oh yeah, and Malice Mizer, they're the best, my favorite music type, J Rock! [/color]

The Hippos re-did "Always Something There to Remind Me". They did a really good job. I like "Take On Me!" I haven't heard any re-makes of it, and I like the original just fine. And America didn't "put out" the song, A-Ha was from Norway.... but I guess America certainly promoted it. ^_^

And this is aside from punk music, but if you ever want to hear some [i]really[/i] good cover songs, about 75% of a capella out there do just that: cover songs. But MAN they are so friggin AWESOME if the group is decent. I have a cd that's all a capella; ten songs are from a BYU-based group that has since broken up, but they do some really nice covers of 80's songs, and then there's another college group 110: they redid "Pinball Wizard" by The Who.............. :wow: MAN it friggin RULES!!! They also did "Billy Jean" by Michael Jackson and "Pride" by U2......... y'all should really check this stuff out. It's so awesome that these songs are 100% vocal.... but it sounds JUST LIKE a full band with drums and everything. (vocal percussion ROCKS!) OKay well, I'll shaddup now, 'cause I know the next to NO ONE here gives a rip about a capella besides me......... -__- it's just as well....

-EDiT-

I just remembered Goldfinger re-made "10,000 Red Balloons" (the title's actually 10,000 Luft Balloons... at least I think that's how it's spelled) by some German 80's band. I can't remember who.... they were like a one-hit-wonder or something... The song's on Grand Turismo 3, so that's how I found out about it. ^_^