OtakuBoards

2D vs 3D RPG's

GhostofSalvtore

2D RPG's still seem to be around on the Playstation with games like Arc the Lad and Lunar, these games still seem to be a big hit , but when some games go 3D it seems like some gamers are turned off by that, maybe because when the company makes that transition they don't do well in the story part of the RPG. I just know a guy who doesn't seem to like 3D RPG's and he likes the old school maybe because in 2D you get to really see everything easily, while in 3D you get all these different views and some are up close and you really don't see this. I just want to see people's thoughts on this subject.

[COLOR=darkblue]I think it's just people's preference. Some people just like having their RPG top-down, 3/4 isometric...while others enjoy multiple camera angles and rotatable screens. A while back, people had problems working in 3D for the PSX since they were new at it and needed the extra time that was usually devoted to other parts like storyline.

RPG's are special in that they're criticized more on the storyline and gameplay rather than the eye-candy.[/COLOR]

I don't know if that's true anymore. Sure the hardcore players are more interested in the actual storyline... but no one buys ugly games. Hence, DW7 sold incredibly poor here in the US. To me that was far better than the past few FF's (other than FFX), but it's all a matter of preference.

You have to really understand that 2D games take a ton of work. Sure you don't have to worry about 3D roaming and camera problems, but the amount of things that must be created is overwhelming. Hand drawing characters and backgrounds is a LOT of work.

Personally, I think games like Unlimited SaGa (coming to PS2 soon), Legend of Mana and Valkyrie Profile are gorgeous. They are 2D, although Unlimited Saga has 3D backgrounds. I always have respected 2D games more, mainly because I just find them more impressive and they allow so much more detail.

In terms of actual gameplay... I don't think it matters either way. They still do the same things. They just do them differently.

There are a lot of old school players who act like they hate 3D. That generally isn't totally true... but they just prefer the older styles. 2D has a lot farther to go. Could you imagine if someone actually spent a lot of money to make a good 2D game on a newer system? It would look amazing. Instead, most of that is allocated to FMV departments.

I am not a huge fan of FF7 though FF9, but not one of my complaints has to do with the addition of 3D graphics to the series. The only game I did wish stayed 2D was Wild Arms 2... mainly because the second one sucked in general compared to the first. It wasn't really the fault of the 3D graphics or anything like that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GhostofSalvtore [/i]
[B]2D RPG's still seem to be around on the Playstation with games like Arc the Lad and Lunar, these games still seem to be a big hit , but when some games go 3D it seems like some gamers are turned off by that, maybe because when the company makes that transition they don't do well in the story part of the RPG. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, [I]new[/I] two-dimensional games in general are rare.

We've seen the Final Fantasy series, Mario, Zelda and even Suikoden ushered into the era of three-dimensional gaming with amazing results. When Sony, Nintendo and Sega initially launched their 3-D systems, they were all racing to capitalize on an exciting new direction in console gaming.

Sony, themselves made it very difficult for a company to get a license to write a two-dimensional game. Thanks to Sony's strict "no 2-D" policy in the early days of the PlayStation, the first two Arc the Lad games remained in Japan, despite the rarity of RPGs here at the time.

Also, keep in mind that the games you say are still around, are from the early to mid 90's. Because of the exploitation of 3-D, and the success it has generated, many of today's gamers are ignorant of 2D.

In my opinion, the three-dimensional medium [I]can[/I] allow environments and characters to come to life better than two- dimensional games; specifically in areas of expressing emotion. However, with the proper programming, many two-dimensional games remain superior to their three dimensional brethren. On the other hand, very few will argue that Arc the Lad III's crude three-dimensional graphics were superior to it's predecessors.

One of my favorite games of all time remains Castlevania Symphony of the Night. The gameplay was (and is) deeper than a great deal of 3-D games, allowing the player to utilize a massive number of items and spells. Similarly, I still prefer Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or Street Fighter Alpha 3 over a good margin of bare bones 3-D games on the market.

You see, as long as developers are able to [I]evolve[/I] their products and give us something new, I don't care what dimension the game is in.

As was mentioned, if the proper development time and funding were given to a two-dimensional game with today's hardware, the possibilities would be amazing.

[color=red]My opinion of RPGs is I like them when they are 2D. As CWB said, if they got the right game producers, with todays technology, the game would be utterly amazing. This is why I am going to buy a GBA, because of all the 2d RPGs which will probably come out. And for all of the Castlevania games coming out for it, and also for all the old school games which I love.

The only differance in 2d and 3d RPGs is mostly with 3D they can show any story with more clarity and more imaginative ideas and better effects. But I still would rather have a 2D RPG over anything else.[/color]

I like FF7 and 9 in 3d, but that's because they still retained the good ol super deformed style of the earlier ones, especially FF6. I loved in 6 how the characters would blush (like locke), or how characters would fall down all anime-style, ala mog. I liked 8 and X but...w/ the more realistic character models there was no anime-style humor. They could always make a stunningly awesome 2d rpg like FF6, and throw in FMV cinemas....doubt any company would do something like that. I'm less concerned w/ the graphics than I am at Square taking out staple FF parts, like MP and accessories w/ FF8! or Exp w/ FFX! Bah....I hope as the FF's keep coming out they try to keep the old feel of FF still.