OtakuBoards

New rule for Rpg's....

Schrat

Hmm, well, I thought that it was common knowledge that members only play as their own character.

Basically, I find it acceptable to mention other characters in a role-play, but members should have the common courtesty to contact another member before they use their character in a controversial way or make an attempt to alter their personality.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Hmm, well, I thought that it was common knowledge that members only play as their own character.

Basically, I find it acceptable to mention other characters in a role-play, but members should have the common courtesty to contact another member before they use their character in a controversial way or make an attempt to alter their personality. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ummmm.....What CWB said. Yah, I know where you are coming from, but if RPG's wer'nt the way they are now, we would be getting no where, so lets just leave it as it is.

Ugh. You know what we would have then?

"[i]Joey sat there, reeling in shock from Matt's comment.[/i]

[b]Joey:[/b] 'Matt, that's unbelieveible!'"

Pure and utter trash. Role-playing is designed for members to interact and form realistic settings and all, but of course you should try your best to keep their character in context.

Overall, this wasn't needed, because it would only make RPGs spammy and make them seem like a bunch of newbies are running around on acid.

[i]Another thing I noticed about RPG's, people have such illogical bio's. Anti brought this to mind a long time ago. I remember being in an RPG where sombody's bio was like this...

Bio: The war started 11 years ago... Me? I was leaving college at the time, a large army of aliens came down and strted killing people...

Think about it, 17-11=6, poor 6-year-old genius, going to college, see what I mean? If sombody could do something about this, it would clear up a lot of things for RPG's...[/i]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]Ah yes... - -

I have seen pathetic things like:
Bio: All the girls like him. He likes shooting stuf. He is loud. He likes killing things.
---

Anyway... schrat, we need to mention other people in our rpg's. As neil said, I would be something like,

My character runs to the castle. My character walks to the king.

Well, if that happened, what would happen to the other char? Would they still be standing outside or what?

Anyway... You really need to include other people in your posts, but you just need to, not make choises for them, unless you get their permission first.

Like... you can't say in your post,

"will you be my girlfriend"
She jumped with joy and said.
"Yes!"

If you didn't have that person's permission first. ^_-[/color] [/size]

[color=royalblue]One of the most interesting aspects of a truly good RPG is that it isn't linear.

I mean, if it were truly linear...then what's the point? Why not just write a fanfic?

The difference between an RPG and a fanfic is that you can take on the persona of your own character...and you can actually interact with the story and change its course in some ways.

One of my favourite RPGs that I participated in for a while was Meteo City v2 (where's v3, Rico? ;)). It was great because everyone was doing their own thing...and in some ways, we were each changing the direction of the story quite a lot.

We were dictating many small changes...but we all [i]understood[/i] where the main thread of the story was going. So there was no need to PM each other or whatever...and we were able to suprise each other with new outcomes and ideas.

This is what a good RPG truly is. You shouldn't really have to PM someone or AIM them...in an effort to fix something that has "broken". If you are all truly reading what's going on...and if you take your time, you can think of ways to creatively move things forward.

In Project Gamer, Desbreko and I did this a little. Our characters were running towards the Inn...and I hadn't mentioned what was going to happen. But Desbreko found a clever way of improvising. And then I posted and did something similar.

The point is...the RPGs lately have been so formulaic and people are forgetting how to really roleplay properly.

If you remember to keep people's characters in context...and if you keep the story going in a logical direction, you'll be fine.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud Strife00 [/i]
[B][i]Another thing I noticed about RPG's, people have such illogical bio's. Anti brought this to mind a long time ago. I remember being in an RPG where sombody's bio was like this...

Think about it, 17-11=6, poor 6-year-old genius, going to college, see what I mean? If sombody could do something about this, it would clear up a lot of things for RPG's...[/i] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehe..That's quite funny.

I agree with james, RPG's have been getting too "formula", with many "n00bs" who think they can create a well thought out bio, deep role-playing abilities, and the choice of going to college when thier 6 years old.. 0_o.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Majora's Mask [/i]
[B]Hehe..That's quite funny.

I agree with james, RPG's have been getting too "formula", with many "n00bs" who think they can create a well thought out bio, deep role-playing abilities, and the choice of going to college when thier 6 years old.. 0_o. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I love the notion of nonlinear role-playing games. When running DragonBall AD, I basically placed the responsibility of character interaction and main antagonists on the players themselves. They determined who rivaled who.

With my newest RPG, Project Gamer I'm doing much of the same, only slightly different. Anyone is free to go wherever they want and talk to whomever they wish to intereact with (as long as it's reasonable).

Since a good majority of the players are visiting Raccoon City, they have dictated that Wesker's entry in the story.

I don't know if a lot of members can handle nonlinear games though. They often seem intimated with having so much influence on the story, or get writer's block.

It seems like a double-edged sword. While your nonlinear rpg will be more creative and hold greater potential, its chances of success may not be as great.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Well, I love the notion of nonlinear role-playing games. When running DragonBall AD, I basically placed the responsibility of character interaction and main antagonists on the players themselves. They determined who rivaled who.

I don't know if a lot of members can handle nonlinear games though. They often seem intimated with having so much influence on the story, or get writer's block.

It seems like a double-edged sword. While your nonlinear rpg will be more creative and hold greater potential, its chances of success may not be as great. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] But, really, I like having the freedom of creating my own characters, story line and so on. Because in the right hands, creativity can become a sharp, acute, weapon of amazing posibilities. I prefer non-linear over linear anyday. Freedom just opens so many other oppurtunities which could not have been there without any freedom.[/color]

[b]I sometimes like it when someone makes up a whole new direction for your character when you meet up and so forth, as it makes you think and adds an added touch of interactivety to the RPG.

However, when someone completely drags you to the other side of the RPG planet or something like that it can be quite silly.[/b]

[quote]Originally posted by Juuthena
[color=deeppink][size=1]"will you be my girlfriend"
She jumped with joy and said.
"Yes!"[/color][/quote][/size]

[color=teal]Umm...I think she's referring to me. But yeah, schrat. We gotta keep things the way they are, AND also, I've been noticing people taking a little TOO much control of the RPG. Like somebody all of a sudden becoming the only person with enough strength to break down an enemy wall, etc. And I've seen RPGs where some people kill off other people's C's just because of a grudge. We gotta stop this, but we gotta be able to exert MINOR control over other characters. Even the background people, such as random villagers and kings and such need to be controlled. That's just how it is.[/color]