Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Well. Here in Lafayette, LA, school's closed for today, Thursday, and Friday. We're in the path of a Category 4 storm, and already getting lots of rain. Our family is evacuating (non-mandatory) west to Houston (northbound is probably clogged, eastbound is probably soaked). If you go to [url]http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lch/[/url], you can see Lafayette's straight in the eye's path.

Is anyone else suffering now, or has been through a hurricane?

"When peace like a river attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll, Whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul."
Posted
[color=deeppink] [size=1]>< It can't hit Texas!! It can't!!
Tomorrow's my mom's birthday... and she's right on the gulf too...:bawl:[/color] [/size]
Posted
yup, Im here in mandeville LA. and Im tryin not to stress.

lets hope its not too foolish a move.

although I do like how everything is closing.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=deeppink] [size=1]>< It can't hit Texas!! It can't!!
[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Texas can take it! Texas can take any pansy storm it throws at it! Texas'll stomp that storm like a rattlesnake and then grind it into dust. :devil: [B]BOOYAH![/B]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foredaddy [/i]
[B]Texas'll stomp that storm like a rattlesnake and then grind it into dust. :devil: [B]BOOYAH![/B] [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow. I've never actually known somebody from Texas to turn a phrase like that. :)

I heard about Hurricane Lili on CNN. I hear just about everybody is evacuating. I just want to wish you the best of luck and hope everyone you know comes out of this okay.
Posted
[b]I slept through the hurricane that struck England in the late '80s! Of course, I was only 1 or 2 years old at the time but it was a pretty big storm, lol.

I heard about hurricane Lili this morning on the news/weather and they were talking about how bad it was going to get, so I think your family has made a good move in deciding to evacuate.[/b]
Posted
Oh, I read about this in the paper today. It caused NASA to shut down Mission Control in Houston for the first time, if I recall correctly.

It's a little ironic that the launch of shuttle [I]Atlantis[/I] was postponed because of a storm that has dropped a foot of rain, among other serious damages.

My best wishes go out to the thousands upon thousands of people who had to evacuate for this storm.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i]
[B][b]I slept through the hurricane that struck England in the late '80s! Of course, I was only 1 or 2 years old at the time but it was a pretty big storm, lol.
[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]Was that the one in 1987? Because I was there for that one, I'm not sure if it was a hurricane but it sure as hell took half our house down and washed it down the river. We moved after that. I was two or three at the time... but I remember it well, because I was in the half of the house that got washed away.
Man, that was fun.[/font][/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Endymion [/i]
[B]Wow. I've never actually known somebody from Texas to turn a phrase like that. :)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Im not from Texas, but I can dream.
Texas is just one tough mother and doesn't take shiz from nobody. YA HEAR THAT ARIZONA! [B]BOOYAH![/B] :devil:
Posted
i was born in Houston, and a Hurricane hit there (can't remember exactly when). I don't know very much of what was going on because I was like 4-5-6 years old, somewhere around there. The hurricane's coming up here (Indianapolis) but it;s just storms here and there. The only thing good about living here is that your safe from that kind of stuff. (but then again you're all set up for tornadoes, snow, ALOT of heat, ALOT of cold, and all that other nasty weather)
Posted
Here in Canada we will probably get the "tail" or the "leftovers" of the hurricane we already got some leftovers of the last hurricane, but leftovers are nuthing...

But those who are suffering, i feel for ya...
Posted
[size=1]

I live in Texas, but I doubt it will hit where I live. The problem with Texas is the weather though. Where I live we get the coldest winters (It has gotten down to -14 degrees F before) We get hurricanes through the Gulf of Mexico, and we get (this is a fact) atleast 120 tornadoes a year. I guess mother nature doesn't like Texas.[/size]
Posted
[color=red] Well MathGuy, hope you get out of there safetly, and also I would like to wish for the best for all of the other people which had to evacuate.[/color]
Posted
whoa. 120 tornadoes. we're like, tornado free for 2 years. O.o

anyway, now that lily has, er, calmed dwon a bit, it shouldnt be as hard as it coulve been. poor louisiana.
Posted
I heard about that. Our teacher made us watch the news and read a brochour(sp?) about it. Most people thought it was intersting but others just fell asleep and threw the brouchours away. I used to live in Houston about 3 years ago and I wish the best of luck to those who are caught up in Lili.
Posted
Thanks AnimeLover and everyone else. Saturday evening, our family is home safely, but the power's out in parts of Lafayette (including our neighborhood - phone works, and this computer's a laptop). Road signs along the way were bent almost fully over. Billboards were either ripped to shreds hanging like clotheslines or on the ground. Thankfully, very few buildings suffered damage, at least from what I saw. Lili thankfully decreased from Cat4 to Cat2 before it hit us.

Weather forecasting is still very unsure. "Science is too complicated for anyone other than God Himself to figure out, let alone come up with." -me. We evacuated because of the rising category of the storm, but Lili dropped back when it hit. I just hope the power comes back soon - it's hot, smelly (rotting refrigerator contents), and dark in here. There's an official curfew for all citizens 7pm-7am because of the power outage.

My parish's schools were closed last week Wed-Fri because of TS Isidore and this week Wed-Fri for Lili. I hope Kyle doesn't decide to head this way. It's somewhat okay to have no school, but it's terribly annoying to have school/off proportions switch (5 days off, 2 of school, not vice versa).

[quote]O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home.[/quote]

________________________________
EDIT: The power came back on a few hours later - hopefully it will stay on. School's closed until Wednesday - gosh, we never get this many days off even for Thanksgiving!
Posted
Ok, I live in Raceland Louisiana, for those of you who dont know, its about 45 min southwest(or southeast, i cant remember. lol) of Metairie. We got lucky, cuz if it would have stayed a catagory 4, we would have been royaly screwed. lol
But, I did lose power for some 15 hours, and I lost phone for that time too. o.O
Posted
Pah. I live no less than a mile from the mouth of the river, and I stayed home and played my PS2. You're all pansies, every one of you that evacuated. That storm was nothing. Hell, H. Andrew was nothing. Betsy was where it was AT.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mstyrios WX [/i]
[B]Indeed,I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt.And SuperSayian it surprizes me that a Moderator would insult people just for being safe.Who knows you may have gotten lucky that it didn't damage your house any.But imagine if you evacuated and came back to see your house was wrecked along with your PS2.Are you so sure they're pansies now? [/B][/QUOTE]


First off, if you'd pay attention, you'd see that I don't give a ****. And the reason WHY I said that people were pansies because of all of the hype they gave it. Sure, by all means, leave if you're in a low-lying area, but I heard of people as far as Texas leaving their houses. HAH!! Funny, really.

To your second point, yes, I would still call them pansies because I wouldn't actually leave. Wanna know why? Because I have an acute ability to track hurricanes. And I plotted it down nearly to a "T". Thus, from past experiences with storms, I knew 90% where it was going to go.

It pays to actually forget the "news" and take a step into reality.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...