OtakuBoards

Flash movie thread dispute

Phantom

Ok, lets star this off by stating that I am prepared for a quality debate, and if that comes to pass, than do not take my opinions as hostile intent...and bann me.. I am just ready to defend my cause with utmost loyalty.

Links to flash movies, spam?

In my opinion, I can see that if the content of the posts within a thread like this consists of "HERES COOL LINK, Check it out!", followed up by "Yeah that was funny!", than yes thats spam, and tonnnes of it.

However if a thread had consisted of actuall conversation, and discussion, directly derived from the movies being shared, than it shouldnt be classified as spam on that end of it.

A second end of it, showing the links might be considered advertisement, thus spam? That, is perposterous, if the site is free, there is no membership, the poster gains nothing from it, no solicitation takes place, nothing whatsoever, just a shared link, than it cant possibly be advertisement, it dodges so many of the manditory rules of advertisement it is unreal.

If this is a growing concern, than maybe we can setup a number of things ot work it out.

1. A dedicated comedy/serious/videos made in flash and other multimedia Thread.

IF there is growing concern, than maybe making a dedicated thread may help. Take the SPRITES thing. They grew so much, they got their own Forum. Depends on how much people may want to share the links.

Ok, more ideas can and will flourish with given reader support, or descrimination...

I just dont like the fact that Animelover can close these threads, on reasons such as: Advertisement, pointless. Because its in her eyes that it is pointless, so many others can and do get a kick out of watching flash movies, it is a free opinion and free expression lounge, if it is indeed regulated well...and I dont beleive it is being regulated all to well on this end of it.

>>

[color=royalblue]Flash movies often [i]don't[/i] contribute to discussion. Go look at any Flash movie thread. For the most part, they consist of people saying "That was funny!" or..."Hey, I loved that! Show me another!".

And then follow that mentality to its natural conclusion; we get five or ten threads in Otaku Lounge that are exactly the same, but which link to different Flash movies.

There has to be a middle ground. We will allow [i]some[/i] of these threads if they really do promote active discussion. And some (like those I described above) will be disregarded.

Also, please bear in mind that you are free to PM the Moderator who closed the thread and ask for further explanation...and you are also free to approach the Super Moderator for that category (in this case, Elite) for advice. It's perfectly fine for a Super Moderator to overturn a Mod's decision/action if they feel it necessary.

It is [i]preferable[/i] that you provide a link to the Flash movie in your signature and encourage discussion via PM. It's not ideal, but it also doesn't clog up the main forums with what are often totally pointless posts. I think people sometimes underrate the value of our Private Message system.

And finally, would you get the idea out of your head that you will be banned for having an opinion? It's utterly ridiculous and doesn't help anyone.

I don't know where that perception started, but it couldn't be more wrong. I don't mind if you are critical of something or if you have an opinion about something, as long as you go about presenting your opinion in the right way. If your post was full of flaming or something, that would be very different.

As it is, you've presented a legitimate case for people to read and consider. And that's fine. It's all I ask.[/color]

I pretty much agree with James on this point... I haven't seen a Flash movie thread yet with any actual intelligence going into the majority of the posts. It's not really advertising, so I can see where you're coming from, Phantom.. but Flash movie threads just don't provoke intelligent conversation.. ever.. as far as I've seen..

But not much does provoke all that much inteligent convo when it comes to visual exploration. How much intelligent posts do you think the Art and such forums produce? Not all as much as you might think. IF flash movies as art, than would the appropriate place to list them be there? Honestly, the remarks on most flash movies are the same GENERALLY as some art threads. With that said, critique of art is much more intelligent than saying "thats a bowl of laughs!" or "What a nut job movie!! lol! haha" ... but, if the originator of the thread posts his/her movie, or link to it... than asked for certain opinions to be stated? Maybe that would help? I just think maybe the lounge's rules conflict with flash because they require intelligence to be used...Im thinking maybed a different forum might be adaptable for usage of flash movies. AS LONGGGGG as the originator has more than 5 lines exlplaining why he/she wants people to watch and comment intelligently...You know?

Hate to look at this as if we are on separate teams here cuz truthfully we are on the same one...we want a quality community to share our beleifs, opinions, comical opinions...anything.. and i dont wana come up here and state somthing thinking that im gona have to fight my way out of the discussion.. more like collaborate and append our idea's together... :) mish mash conceptualizm :)

[color=royalblue]Well, the Art & Design forum is really different. It's not Otaku Lounge.

Secondly, in that forum, people are producing their own work to discuss for the most part. It's not a case of "Hey come and look at this!"

Furthermore, people tend to give advice and ask for help. That isn't something that occurs in Flash movie threads.

So, I think that our current arrangement is fine. We'll allow some threads if they promote discussion, but we won't allow a flurry of similar threads on the subject.[/color]

I have all but decided to submit.. James is more than right in this case, regardless. I was only angered at Mitch's decision to close that thread BEFORE even giving discussion a chance to start.. that, is pretty ignorant, especially since the reasons included "Advertisement, and spam" ...Which either of which were happening...But, yes on an average, James is right.

[color=royalblue]Phantom, I agree that Mitch could have handled that differently.

So, in this case...I don't think we're talking about the need to change the rules themselves. Rather, we're talking about how the rules are applied (and whether or not, in this case, they were applied properly).

Based on what has been said, I don't think they were applied correctly in this one case.

But you know, Moderators are human too...so I'm sure Mitch will learn from this incident and use that lesson next time.[/color]

Yes, Mitch and I shared a couple PM's and have reached an understanding. Also, This thread was not meant to change rules that are phenominaly inexistent. If the rule you are refering to as SPAM is being broken, than I profusely appologize. However, there are no rules specifically noted in the rule book. This thread instead, was supposed to broaden my aspect of how our administrative staff can flexiblally handle a topic like this. Honestly, if there was a single thread set away for only flash stuff, spam doesnt matter, and you set it so that the posts do not count toward the person's total post count... it might not be all that bad...because eventually, SOMONE (because a very large chunk of this boards is comprised of rather intelligent, though provoking people) will eventually start some decent intelligent convo. I still am not asking any rules be broken. And I already know this is going nowhere because I have absolutly no one but Tiger backing me..hehe and tha is definately not enough push to let this idea follow through. Anyway, This will be my last point making (or attempt at point making) post, I just want to know if what I am saying is meaning anything, or if I'm just a lone wolf fighting battle I dont care alll too much about. :)

[quote]This thread instead, was supposed to broaden my aspect of how our administrative staff can flexiblally handle a topic like this.[/quote]

[color=royalblue]o_O;;

I don't mean any offense, but I think you should maybe try less hard to make your posts sound like they are using incredibly proper English. It's actually quite confusing at times. lol

But anyway, yes...I understand your point. I don't think it's an unreasonable topic to discuss. I can see what you're saying...and I think that for the most part we've agreed on this subject.

People can [i]always[/i] talk about their concerns here, if they do so in a civil way. ;)[/color]