OtakuBoards

Brown Recluse in the School

cancer

[SIZE=1]Okay, the high school I'm moving to in a week has a problem, as my friend down there informs me. It has a brown recluse spider infestation that seemingly began a few weeks ago. In the first week of January they did a level three extermination, which did not kill the spiders. Twelve students have been bit, one girl had an asthma attack from the fumes. As you may know, these spiders can be deadly. Yet the school hasn't even closed down. They're still expecting students to come as if everything is normal. What can be done about this. Does anyone know?[/SIZE]

[quote name='cancer][SIZE=1']Okay, the high school I'm moving to in a week has a problem, as my friend down there informs me. It has a brown recluse spider infestation that seemingly began a few weeks ago. In the first week of January they did a level three extermination, which did not kill the spiders. Twelve students have been bit, one girl had an asthma attack from the fumes. As you may know, these spiders can be deadly. Yet the school hasn't even closed down. They're still expecting students to come as if everything is normal. What can be done about this. Does anyone know?[/SIZE][/quote]

Well, the Recluse bite itself isn't deadly. I can only imagine if there is some extremely uncommon allergy to the venom, it may account for a deadly bite. The reason the Recluse is considered so dangerous is because its bite causes the tissue around the bite to necrotize (die) and this dead skin and subdermal tissue is very easily infected. Post-bite infection is probably the only reason life or limb would be compromised.

The school has a valid reason to remain open. Obviously, this depends on whether or not the students were bitten before or after the level three extermination. The Brown Recluse is more likely to avoid students and hide than it is to ever attack humans. I'd be skeptical to your claim that twelve students were bitten unless the infestation was more sizable than I would expect before someone calls in an exterminator.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Even though there may be spiders in that school, it isn't too bad of a deal. There are brown recluse in my house all the time. You just need to be weary of them. I do understand that they can be dangerous, having being bit myself. However, It is not a bad idea to get rid of those spiders and fast.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Thanks, I wasn't really sure if the bite was deadly itself. But yeah, I'm just reporting what I've heard from my friend there. She says that after the extermination someone else was bitten and the spiders are still there just as bad as ever. Also they did not wait long enough for the fumes to die before sending kids back to school. I'm not sure if they used a neutralizer for the fumes or not.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Brown Recluse CAN cause skin to deterate SOMETIMES, it depends if you have a bad reaction to it and the person. Most of all its the number one spider bite that gets misdiagnosed. I've got bitten by a spider and it got infected and immediately my doctor probably stated I got bite by one, it wasn't until I did more research on the spider that I realized they don't really even live in the area that I live in (I'm hoping atleast?), and could have been a wolf spider which can give you a nausea type of feeling. I had to have them dig into my skin and everything. You can get a bad infection from any bite, a wolf or hobo spider can get you sick too. Unless you live way down south, I've never really heard of them being that huge of a problem before.

Their called recluse for a reason, there was a family who had lived with 2,000 in their house and have never been biten. Also, it could also be a hobo, regular brown, or wolf spider, often all of these get mistaken for a brown recluse. Does the spiders look like [URL=http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/arachnids/spiders/brown_recluse_spider/brown_recluse_spider.jpg]these[/URL]? I have no idea if maybe I did get bite by one, if so, yes getting my arm cut open didn't feel too good but I didn't die either. I wouldn't stress about them at a school, and just try to stay away from shady areas or corners. No record of a death from my knowledge has ever been recorded of being bitten by a brown recluse. Now if you go to Australia..... Good luck with that one.[/size]

Most of the time bites from this spider will heal on their own, what gives them such a bad name is although bites are rare, the venom can cause serious wounds. So infestations should be taken seriously. And even then they are extremely difficult to control since they are so reclusive and rarely come out where you can get them.

I would have to wonder how the students in your school even got bitten in the first place since they aren?t out in the open. You can live in a place with hundreds of them around and never get bitten. And these spiders hunt at night a time when the school would be empty of students.

I don?t doubt that something is getting the students, but there are plenty of other spiders out there that are mistaken for a recluse so it?s likely that something else is getting them.

Everybody knows if you just put one on your cheeseburger every now and then and eat that sucker you get used to it. I've been doing it since the 70s, and I still ain't dead yet.

I also shot an anaconda in the Chattahoochie River last fall with a .38. One shot kill.

:D

-Justin

I would call sick till the infestation is over.

Seriously, Brown Recluse bites aren't something to take lightly of. I did a research report on it and my science teacher's boyfriend had been bitten by one. He came to class and showed the "scar" (more like a pit) of the bite.

It's worse than the Pain series =\.

[SIZE=1]Yeesh, the worst most people worry about in my high school are wasps, although the girls reactions when one flies into the room is nothing short of side-splittingly funny.

If you don't feel safe about going back if the infestation was not totally taken care of, then simply don't go back. That said I'm often a major proponent of facing your fears, though those bites don't sound the most pleasant of things.[/SIZE]