OtakuBoards

The Nameless City

Shy

[size=3][b]Part-Time Assistants Wanted (Downtown)[/b][/size]

Date: 2009-12-01 1:14PM PST
Reply to: [email][email protected][/email]
Part-Time Assistants Wanted from across the city to investigate STRANGE PHENOMENON happening both on the streets and online. I am looking for reliable individuals with a professional demeanor who have strong writing ability, knowledge of the occult, and their own transportation. Experience in social networking and word proccessing a +. Responsibilities include answering multi-line phone system, interviewing subjects RE: STRANGE PHENOMENON, heavy research and DEFENDING THIS REALITY FROM BEING BREACHED UPON BY THE OLD GODS.

MUST WORK WEEKENDS. Please respond with some detailed information about yourself, salary requirements, and a photograph.
[size=1][list][*]Location: City
[*]Compensation: Negotiable
[*]Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
[*]Please, no phone calls about this job!
[*]Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.[/list][/size]
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][center][b][size=6]The Nameless City[/size][/b][/center][/FONT]
Reality has shifted. The Ancient Ones have been bound out of this physical plane since the beginning of time, but have been slowly corrupting our thoughts, our emotions, and our views. Unknowing, uncaring, unthinking, the Internet has become a tool through which to spread the gospel of the Old Gods.Their will is spreading like a cancer throughout the hearts and minds of the entire world, and only a handful are prepared for what is to come next.

[indent][b][color=red]deb0rah17[/b][/color]: Wut is going on with the sky tonight??? Not 1 star?

[b][color=blue]AndiForShort[/color][/b]: RT @[b][color=green]Yog-Sothoth[/color][/b]: Imagination called up my shocking form ? only a congeries of iridescent globes, yet stupendous in its malign suggestiveness.[/indent]

This is a world with frightening monsters, ancient cults and YouTube. We will be drawing largely from the work of H.P. Lovecraft, however the world is largely unaware of what horrors lie beneath its surface. You will be a small group of characters who have been hired to investigate what is going on in, around and underneath The Nameless City. It is my hope that together we can build our own mythology for this world and come up something truly unique.

The Internet is a BIG part of this story. I hope to see blog posts, Twitter updates and the occasional video inter-spliced with your traditional storytelling. As always, questions, comments and concerns may go here.

[size=1]-Shy[/size]

this seems to be interesting i would like to be part of this adventure for sure. I am just confused on the two people talking in the middle of your story with deborah17 and andiforshort. Other than that it seems like it will be a neat adventure :)

[FONT="Courier New"]Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to apply for the position advertised on the first of December at kurtslist.org.

My name is Owen Landy and I am forty-six years old. I reside in Brooklyn and have lived here for the last eight years. Prior to that I lived in upstate New York with my wife and two children.

For the past three years I have been employed as an office clerk for the local Bank of America. In that role I have performed a wide variety of administration tasks, including report writing for management. I have also been trained in the use of computers, especially Windows and Microsoft Word.

In my spare time I read a great deal and I am especially interested in the works of Aleister Crowley. My favorite work of his is [i]Liber L vel Legis[/i] (more commonly known as [i]The Book of the Law[/i]). I have never been an active follower of Thelema, but I do find their teachings most interesting.

As an aside, I have also often been told that I have some basic psychic ability, although I am sure it is very minimal.

I would be happy to move for work as I am looking for a change. And I would be comfortable working on weekends, due to the fact that I now live alone.

As requested, I have attached a photo of myself as well as further information about salary.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Owen Landy[/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]

I still have to attach a picture...I hope this is okay. Awesome RPG idea, Shy. :catgirl:[/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]To Whom It May Concern

I am a hardworking English Major with minors in Political Science, Technical writing, and German at the University of Otaku. As such I believe I am more than proficient for the job you have advertised on kurtslist. Hiring me would be a brilliant move on the behalf of your entire organization, as I bring enthusiasm, ruthless efficiency, and charming wit to any task I undertake. Needless to say, you do not want me working for your competitors.

I type at over 120 WPM, and I'll be happy to take any test you deem fitting to verify this potentially ludicrous claim.

My blog and private facebook pages are both neat and updated with a regularity befitting my position. This of course also implies that I am very capable of using both of these heavily text based networking sites.

I worked for three years at the U.O.'s calling centers for tele-fundraising and as such have excellent phone skills and am equally comfortable communicating with people in person. As an English student, I am often called upon to interview the subjects of my many writing projects and am capable of speaking with anyone at any time about any topic. These qualities alone make me perfect for the job you've advertised and I look forward to my interview.

Sincerely,

Eloise Maher

[url]http://lapraseye.blogspot.com/[/url][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Navy"][strike]Dear mysterious advertiser,[/strike]

[strike]Dear writer of ad[/strike]

[CENTER][I]?What?s that formal greeting? should I use ?dear? at all??[/I][/CENTER]

Dear Sir or Ma?am,

[CENTER][I]?Isn?t it ?madam?? Oh well.?[/I][/CENTER]

My name is Conner Holt, and I am very interested in the position advertised on the first of this month. I do have some questions about the exact nature of the work, but I am sure that will be sorted out in due time. I have long been interested in the paranormal and I admit that I am rather excited at the prospect of an organization with the resources to put serious effort into paranormal research. [strike] Ever since a particular incident a number years ago, my[/strike]

[CENTER][I]?Definitely don?t need to tell them about that...?[/I][/CENTER]

I am twenty-eight years old and have a bachelor?s degree in Applied Arts and Sciences, minors in Computer Science and Psychology.

[CENTER][I]?Fat lot of good it did me??[/I][/CENTER]

I have extensive experience using computers and can type at 49 words per minute. I worked for a time as a technical support agent, and so also have experience with answering phones. [strike] I don?t have much experience with interviewing people.[/strike] I also maintain a web log and have had accounts on various social networking sites in the past.

[CENTER][I]?Why do they need that kind of thing anyway? Never heard of ?strange phenomena online,? whatever that?s supposed to mean.?[/I][/CENTER]

My interest in the occult has grown significantly in the past several years, and I like to think that I have become somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. I am perfectly willing to work long hours, including weekends and nights if required. As requested, I have attached a photo of myself as well as a brief resume if you wish to take a look at it.

[CENTER][I]?God, I hope this isn?t another bulls*** job? did I just say ?God?? Christ? augh!?[/I]

~~~[/CENTER]

By the way, is the photo actually required or is it optional? And if it is required, I assume we don't have to use a [i]real[/i] photo, right?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]Although I'm really happy with the responses I've received so far, I think I'm going to hold off launching this anytime soon. After some careful thought I feel like the concept needs some more fleshing out, and I'd like to tackle those head-on in another project in the future.

But again thanks for signing-up. It's only a matter of time before I throw something else together.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

Aww... I personally thought the concept was rather interesting, especially the internet aspects and investigation of an evl undermining of a city. And I had just the perfect character for this... Great, now I have no RPG to join. :(

[color=darkblue][size=1]Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to your part-time assistant posting made Dec. 1 on kurtslist.

My name is Miranda Finch and I am 23 years old, currently residing in Lima, Ohio. I have recently graduated from college, double majoring in writing and literature. During my senior year at M University, I wrote my senior thesis on the usage of mythology in modern literature and, since graduation, furthered my research into mythological studies while searching for a graduate school. As such, I spend a great deal of my time reading.

Outside of scholarly research, I mostly read works of recent occult fiction, including titles written by Jim Butcher, Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton.

During the summers, I have taken part in an internship at the Lima News, the local newspaper for my hometown. I gained experience with interviewing people face-to-face and over the phone, as well as organizational habits and getting used to working under deadlines.

I have a great deal of experience using the computer and am able to use a variety of applications including Microsoft Word (60 wpm), PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, InDesign and Quark Xpress on both the Windows and Macintosh platforms.

I keep several blogs on various sites and also have active Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I have reliable transportation and am able to relocate wherever is needed for the position.

I have attached a picture and salary requirements in separate documents.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Regards,

Miranda Finch

Attachment: [url=http://www.adambleonard.com/images/female_student1.jpg]Finch1.jpg[/url]
----

(Also, yay peer pressure!)[/color][/size]

• 3 weeks later...
Yay, my protests and puppy eyes have succeeded! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to find a picture of my character... so is it okay if I just work his appearance into my first post or something? I promise I won't make him unusually tall or give him red or golden eyes (*coughtwilightcough*) or anything like that.

Wait... are signups still being accepted? I didn't see the RPG posted yet, so...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[color=purple]Dear whomever it concerns:

Although I am probably younger and shorter and more peculiar-looking than most of your applicants, I do presume I am qualified for this position of investigating the strange phenomena in this city. I too have heard about these occurrences, and the subjects interests me dearly.

Ah, but first I must introduce myself formally. My real name is Vincent Estrel, but most folk around town know me by the name of Merlin. No, I did not time-travel here nor appear out of a dream world. I am just a humble 22-year-old man who is struggling with the business world.

Presently I own a shop called Merlin's Mystic Sanctuary. Perhaps you have heard of it, or perhaps I keep it more secret than I thought. I am experienced with five different methods of divination, aural and pranic healing, aura reading, and curse-breaking. Additionally, I am very well-read in the field of psychic phenomena. Ever since I was very young, I have been a member of a paranormal research group called the Ravenesque Council, which as you know gets frequent visits by the Grey Council and other such groups dedicated to psychic phenomena and magical workings. If it matters, I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry.

The reason why I am applying for this position is because my shop has not been receiving too much business lately, with the increase in the muggle population as the likely cause. (My definition of muggle, to put it briefly, is a person who does not believe in magic.) Plus, I have never gotten the chance to investigate such an occurrence as this, and I crave the experience.

I enjoy talking to people and offering advice, and I carefully listen to people's concerns. I treat people with a respectful and friendly attitude, and am not easily offended. Modern technology is neither foreign nor confusing to me--otherwise I would not know how to create and send this email, would I? By no means am I a slow typist, and I learn processes on the computer very quickly. I have a Facebook account and am experienced with the forum and blog systems, even though I do not have a blog of my own. Lastly, in case you were wondering, I do have my own transportation, and in fact know my way well around the city.

I hope you will consider me for this position, and thank you in advance if you do. Even if you do not, feel free to contact me by the means listed on my website, [url]www.mysticsanctuary.ravenesque.org[/url], if you are in a tight spot regarding this pressing phenomenon threatening to engulf reality. Ask and I will answer.

Merry meet,

Merlin[/color]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and the website listed in this letter is not an actual website, of course. Clicking on the link will lead you nowhere... at least I hope so.