Its all in the emotions. In real life, you can pretty much just tell when someones a real easy going, fun person and often that makes it easier to laugh at all the bad stuff that happens to them, the serious people seem almost perfect in ways. But there also has to be times when something devestating happens to that character and how they handle it. I think its saddest when something bad happens to the happiest people, to see someone cry who normally is completely happy is strange and extremly sad. I think its the same in anime. Most people don't want someone whos always wallowing in their own pity, but a character who doesn't take life too seriously, but still can cry and make mistakes. Complex charries are good, I love it when my fave charries have an inner self that they don't let out and they accidentally let someone see it, and it changes them, but a hard change. Actually, now that I think of it, that sounds like Kare Kano o.o;;