All right, so I finished [b]Mass Effect 3[/b] yesterday.
I'm down with the spirit of the ending, if not so much the execution. [spoiler]I thought the **** with the little kid was terrible throughout the game, and seeing the kid representing the Catalyst is a facepalm moment. I agree with others who have suggested that the squadmate who dies on Virmire would have been a much better choice for that stuff. I don't really like Kaidan or Ashley at all, but they would at least represent a more personal connection for Shepard. And wouldn't that person's death haunt Shepard much more than some kid? The BioWare writers do such a great job of hitting emotion hard throughout the game that the kid stuff sticks out as being not so great.
And though there are a few hints about this path throughout the game -- the most obvious and heavy-handed being on Thessia -- the whole deal with the Catalyst is still a [i]lot[/i] to take in with such little time to lay out everything. I don't think it's a terrible plot rush, actually; it's laid out as simply and clearly as possible. But it's a bit too deus ex machina for my taste. Still, I actually do dig this plot direction more than if the Crucible had merely been a superweapon capable of destroying the Reapers and bringing about a Happy End. You [i]can[/i] do that if you choose, but there are other options. (Personally, I chose to integrate organics and synthetics.)
I also wish there were a bit more closure with your other squadmates. Presumably everyone survives, but mostly I'm just worried about Garrus, because he's been my boy throughout the whole series!
The one complaint I don't really agree with is about the ending not reflecting your choices. It totally does in the way that [i]all[/i] [b]Mass Effect[/b] endings have reflected the player's choices. In the first game, your choices could cause Saren to kill himself. In the second game, your choices affect whether your squad lives or dies. In the third game, your choices could cause the Illusive Man to kill himself. The major story beats, though? Always the same, no matter what your choices are. There may be a few differences in how they play out, but they're largely the same. Complaining about how choice doesn't play enough of a part in the finale completely ignores how the plots of [b]Mass Effect[/b] have been built from the beginning.[/spoiler]
Whew, that's a lot! Final word: I don't think the ending is perfect, but it's certainly not bad enough to ruin what has been a fantastic ride for me. I liked [b]Mass Effect[/b] and loved the second and third iterations of the series. The battles are great fun, the characters are awesome, the emotion is there, and on and on. This is an excellent conclusion to Shepard's story, and the ending actually has me [i]really[/i] interested in how BioWare would continue the series, since they've shown obvious interest in doing so, and EA obviously can't turn away from an opportunity to squeeze more money out of gamers.