OtakuBoards

8 mile...good or bad

LostProphet

Basically its like this:
If you hate Eminem and can't stand rap, stay away because that most of the movie
If you want to see a good movie, go see it.

Yes I said it, good movie and Eminem in the same paragraph. 8 mile is rather dark, but it fits the mood perfectly, since this story takes place in the ghetto. Even thought the movie is semi-autobiographical, Eminem is a very good actor in his role as Jimmy "Rabbit" Smith. If you don't like him, there are other people, including Mekhi Pfeifer, Britney Murphy, and Kim Basinger. Of course it also has appearance by D12 and Xzibit, which is good and bad because its like giving out job to underexperienced actors but at the same time, who else would you have play a rapper?

Kim Basinger fits as the mother, although surprisingly, she wasn't as much of a crackwhore as Eminem portrays his real mother to be. Britney Murphey always seems to look like she either a druggy or as if she can't get out of her role in "Don't Say a Word". Mekhi Pfeifer has hair in this movie (imagine my surprise). The thing about this movie is that it revolves so much around battles (just think about two rappers making fun of each other with their rhymes and you have a battle) and not so much on the real story, how screwed up Slim claims his life to be, itself. I would have expected grittier, especially with the ending. I won't spoil the movie, but let's just say the ending isnt what one would expect for a warped lifestyle such as this.

[color=deeppink]I'd recommend the movie just for the sake of seeing it. As shadowdramon, the mood is dark, but it conveys the slums of Detroit [i]perfectly[/i]. It was all shot on-location in Detroit, and being from Michigan myself and having made numerous trips to D-Town, I know how ghetto the downtown area is. Therefore I really liked that aspect of the movie; very true to life.[/color]

[color=red][b]I hate eminem and refused to see the movie, but girlfriends can be very persuasive(sp?), if you know what i mean. ;) And I was surprised, it was pretty good.[/b][/color]

That's the thing about celebrities. If you disregard a movie based solely on one person playing in it, you never know if you are missing a good or a bad movie. I like Eminem's music, though I don't condone what he says, so going to this movie was a given for me. Surprisingly, unlike Glitter, it got very excellent reviews and my vote for must see movie.

[size=1]Well, despite the fact I despise [i]most[/i] rap, I really enjoyed the movie. ;) Some of the rap battles were downright hilarious. My dad grew up in Detroit so he appreciated the scenery as well. So all in all, I say go for it....[/size]

Well, I went to see it last weekend, it was an okay movie.... could have been better though... Kim was... well, Kim... but all in all, it was a pretty good movie, despite the fact that Eminem can NOT act... And yes, as Boogeta said, don't bring the little kids if you don't want the to learn some words...